Milan vs. Taurus? Taurus Wins by a Mile

jasik

I recently had the pleasure to ride in a new Mercury Milan. I was not impressed at all. I am a long time Taurus owner, having owned/leased 4 different Tauruses since 1988. The Milan seems tacky and cheap by comparison. The front leg room is inadequate for a 6 footer. The instrument panel is unimpressive. Door closing results in a tinny sound rather than a firm thud. There is unacceptable roll in hard turns. Will this new platform really replace the Taurus/Sable platform? I think not. :(

Have you considered a Five Hundred or Montego? Those cars' dimensions don't differ significantly from the current Taurus and offer similar (if not better, in some cases) interior volume than the Taurus.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a good look at them when I'm in the market again. :)

Yeah, once they are out awhile and people are 'used to them', then...

Just like any new domestic car, 'good old timers' stick with old, until they are 'used to...' Been that way since 70's. The 1977 Caprices turned off the boat owners, then they get 'used to them'.

Taurus is a creaky, floaty, boring, unappealing car. Rented many, and never had the desire to own one after a 'test drive'.

And yes, test drove a Fusion, and makes the Taurus look like a 1984 Tempo.

Edited by 630land

Have you considered a Five Hundred or Montego? Those cars' dimensions don't differ significantly from the current Taurus and offer similar (if not better, in some cases) interior volume than the Taurus.
I replaced my 1996 Taurus (having owned Tauruses or Sables exclusively since the 1986 MY) with a 2005 Montego and I couldn't be happier.

I have been very pleased over the past 18 years with the 4 Tauruses I have owned or leased. I have always ordered them with the Duratec V6 engine, which provided good acceleration. The quality was excellent, with no major repairs required. My only complaint was with the brakes. They seemed too compliant and undersized. I never noticed a floating sensation, such as you have with the Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis. The seating hip, shoulder, and head room were excellent, as was the trunk space. For a mid-size (full size?) car, the overall impression was that of a solidly built car. I did not get those impressions during my short exposure to the Milan.

:)

I recently had the pleasure to ride in a new Mercury Milan. I was not impressed at all. I am a long time Taurus owner, having owned/leased 4 different Tauruses since 1988. The Milan seems tacky and cheap by comparison. The front leg room is inadequate for a 6 footer. The instrument panel is unimpressive. Door closing results in a tinny sound rather than a firm thud. There is unacceptable roll in hard turns. Will this new platform really replace the Taurus/Sable platform? I think not. :(

I have trouble believing you actually got into the car. I measure at either 6'4" or 6'5", and I've tested a couple of Fusions. I had ample leg room in both front seats, loved the flat cornering (only an SHO Taurus is close, IMO), and everything about the car had better assembly and quality than I've experienced in any Taurus/Sable...and there have been many of those around me between friends, families, rentals, etc.

I'm sorry, but try again.

Edited by ZanatWork

And yes, test drove a Fusion, and makes the Taurus look like a 1984 Tempo.

Ouch.

I drove my 84 Tempo for 7 years before graduating to my present commuter, a 95 Taurus. I am confident that the Fusion is a good set of wheels, but I think it is unfair to disparage any Taurus to that extent. I have driven the current generation Taurus, and I found it comparable to my 95.

An 84 Tempo is a darn crude, entertaining its own way, but crude ride. B)

I have trouble believing you actually got into the car. I measure at either 6'4" or 6'5", and I've tested a couple of Fusions.

I'll concur -- I'm not that tall (5'11") but the Fusion actually felt roomier than the 500 when I sat in it -- even though it is indisputably a smaller car, it just fits better.

Edited by Noah Harbinger