6 speed trans

flanaganman

The new Expedition gets the 6 speed this summer, and it will be built on the T1 platform that the new F-150 uses...so I expect the 150 will get the 6 speed at some point, 07? 08?

All the "new" references in your response make me wonder. Is the F-150 changing platforms? I don't know what the reference to T1 means. I for one continue to hope to see the F-150 return to a half-ton platform that blows away the competition in terms of power, gas mileage and just mostly doing what half-ton pick-ups are supposed to do.

And, at the same time being the best again.

All the "new" references in your response make me wonder. Is the F-150 changing platforms? I don't know what the reference to T1 means. I for one continue to hope to see the F-150 return to a half-ton platform that blows away the competition in terms of power, gas mileage and just mostly doing what half-ton pick-ups are supposed to do.

And, at the same time being the best again.

whats wrong with the platform we have now its the best truck made i see chevyrolet will be going with the boxed frame aswellp82100219xt.th.jpg

whats wrong with the platform we have now its the best truck made i see chevyrolet will be going with the boxed frame aswellp82100219xt.th.jpg

unless you are towing horse trailers... this truck is overkill. The fancy-dancy frame i9s one of those things that makes the truck wayyy too heavy.

The truck is pure overkill. If you need thaqt much hauling capability, you should trade up to a 3/4 ton. Oh wait a minute. The F150 is a 3/4 ton now. Never mind.

unless you are towing horse trailers... this truck is overkill. The fancy-dancy frame i9s one of those things that makes the truck wayyy too heavy.

The truck is pure overkill. If you need thaqt much hauling capability, you should trade up to a 3/4 ton. Oh wait a minute. The F150 is a 3/4 ton now. Never mind.

p31400012ek.th.jpg

now that you mention it.

Edited by flanaganman

From what I've read, the F150 is suppose to be changing, prob. around 08. I was told by the SVT guru, that the Lightning, GEN3, didn't make it because of this change. It has been planned since the new one came out. Competition is always gaining.

so why the change i think the truck has been a success its still #1 it handles great better than some cars and tow 9900lbs some want 20mpg others want 13.0 in the 1/4mi hard to please everyone i guess

that's the biggest joke.... it can't tow 9900#, unless you want a reg cab, long bed with the heavy payload package and proper gear set.

The truck wont see 20mpg even if you drive Miss Daisy

Its also a bloated pig thats 500# overweight and will never be fast because of that.

So on all 3 counts this current truck loses. The competition is sniffing and the next gen better be a real contender.

Sure hope these rumors are correct and that the current generation F-150 is changing sooner than earlier expected. I simply love my 1999 F-150 and it is by every measurement, the best truck I have ever owned and we've had a bunch. It easily - very easily - moves our big pontoon boat and our smaller fiberglass ski boat right down the road and up every hill at high altitude. And, it still gets 13 mpg doing it. On the open road with a light load, the truck averages 17 mpg driving 80 mph. This is a 4x4 off-road package extended cab with 3.73 rear gears and 5.4 engine. From everyone that I know with the newer trucks similarly equipped - they are both slower and get worse gas mileage in the same conditions.

As far as towing capacity and hauling capacity for my 1999 - I don't know. It just does what it I need a half-ton truck to do without breaking a sweat, comfortably hauls us around and gets decent gas mileage. Plus at 85,000 miles - it has yet to have one repair.

Bought this truck new and intend to keep it until Ford makes a new F-150 that is an improvement over what I already have. And yes, I am one of those that thinks a new truck should be a 15% improvement in fuel mileage so 20 mpg on the highway is a target for my next one.

• 3 weeks later...
Sure hope these rumors are correct and that the current generation F-150 is changing sooner than earlier expected. I simply love my 1999 F-150 and it is by every measurement, the best truck I have ever owned and we've had a bunch. It easily - very easily - moves our big pontoon boat and our smaller fiberglass ski boat right down the road and up every hill at high altitude. And, it still gets 13 mpg doing it. On the open road with a light load, the truck averages 17 mpg driving 80 mph. This is a 4x4 off-road package extended cab with 3.73 rear gears and 5.4 engine. From everyone that I know with the newer trucks similarly equipped - they are both slower and get worse gas mileage in the same conditions.

As far as towing capacity and hauling capacity for my 1999 - I don't know. It just does what it I need a half-ton truck to do without breaking a sweat, comfortably hauls us around and gets decent gas mileage. Plus at 85,000 miles - it has yet to have one repair.

Bought this truck new and intend to keep it until Ford makes a new F-150 that is an improvement over what I already have. And yes, I am one of those that thinks a new truck should be a 15% improvement in fuel mileage so 20 mpg on the highway is a target for my next one.

You are fortunate. I don't know ANYBODY with a post 1997 F-150, 5.4, 4x4, 3.73 that gets close to the fuel economy you listed.

My '97 gave me around 14 empty on the highway and single digits when I towed anything.

This was pretty consistent with other owners I talked with in that time frame.

Ken.

Sounds like you got a good one. My 98 gets 13 highway and around 8 towing a heavy load. A good tail wind and keeping it down to 65 I can squeek 17 - 18 mpg out of it. If I go over 70 the gas mileage drops considerably. I average about 13.5 mpg cty/hgwy.

Sounds like you got a good one. My 98 gets 13 highway and around 8 towing a heavy load. A good tail wind and keeping it down to 65 I can squeak 17 - 18 mpg out of it. If I go over 70 the gas mileage drops considerably. I average about 13.5 mpg cty/hgwy.

That's about what I get in mine, except I "drive it like I stole it" all the time. Since I drive it by myself 99% of the time with the bed empty 99% of the time, I may trade it in soon for a 2wd Sport Trac w/a V8 and 6 speed auto. Its rated at 20 mpg on the freeway.

That's about what I get in mine, except I "drive it like I stole it" all the time. Since I drive it by myself 99% of the time with the bed empty 99% of the time, I may trade it in soon for a 2wd Sport Trac w/a V8 and 6 speed auto. Its rated at 20 mpg on the freeway.

Yea I'm torn. How are the new trucks doing on gas mileage? I need the towing capacity. I may just drop the 4WD and go with traction control to pick up a couple of miles to the gallon.