Mercury Milan #1 midsize car in Quality Study

range

Sounds like someone is jealous the :redcard: didn't make it to the top of the study.

Not at all. It is about time that Ford is able to build something that can knock them off.

And it only took them two tries to do it.

Must be pretty embarrassing when it takes TWO tries to beat a car that has not had a THING done to it in 10 years. :hysterical:

Not at all. It is about time that Ford is able to build something that can knock them off.

And it only took them two tries to do it.

Must be pretty embarrassing when it takes TWO tries to beat a car that has not had a THING done to it in 10 years. :hysterical:

Don't feel sad :cry: I'm sure the :redcard: will do well when AARP announces their Car of the Year award!

Okay, wise guy...tell me...what MAJOR changes have the Panthers seen in the past 10 years?

Gosh, you don't seem to know much about the Panther if you are oblivious to the changes made for MY2003.

*New frame – combined with redesigned independent front suspension and new monotube shock absorbers at all four wheels – contributes to a smoother, more controlled ride and improved handling

*New variable-ratio rack-and-pinion steering system with variable power assist provides a more precise, smooth and even feel.

*Turning circle reduced by nearly one foot

*New dual-rate brake booster automatically applies full braking power in a panic stop

*New full-perimeter frame with lightweight hydroformed steel sections for the front rails to improve frontal and offset crash performance

*Redesigned frame cross members and

*New optional side impact air bags improve side-impact crash performance

RIDE AND HANDLING

The new, stiffer frame is the foundation of the 2003 Ford Crown Victoria’s improved ride quality and handling precision.

A new design improves the frame’s torsional rigidity by 24 percent and its resistance to vertical bending by 20 percent. A frame that resists twisting and bending allows the suspension components to operate more efficiently, and it also limits the transmission of noise, vibration and harshness into the body structure.

At the same time, engineers redesigned Crown Victoria’s independent short- and long-arm front suspension.

->Changes include a new, more robust steel upper control arm, a new aluminum lower control arm and steering knuckle, coil-over-shock springs, monotube shock absorbers and revised suspension geometry for improved tracking at highway speeds and more control during cornering and on rough roads.

In the rear, upper and lower control arms and a lateral Watt’s linkage locate the Crown Victoria’s live-axle rear suspension, which also employs monotube shock absorbers. The shock absorbers are now mounted outboard of the frame rails, which allows them to better manage the unsprung mass of the axle. Load-leveling air springs are available as an option on some models.

STEERING

For 2003, Crown Victoria replaces its previous recirculating ball steering gear with a new rack-and-pinion system that is not only far more precise, but also 22.5 pounds lighter. In general, rack-and-pinion steering systems tend to offer more precision as they have fewer linkages than recirculating ball systems.

Road feel also is improved because operating friction is substantially reduced.

An added bonus is a tighter turning circle for the 2003 Crown Victoria, which has been reduced by nearly a foot compared to the previous model.

The new Crown Victoria steering has a variable-ratio gear, as well as speed-sensitive power assist. The variable-ratio gear improves both maneuverability and straight-ahead control. The steering gear also incorporates a variable-assist feature. At low speeds, boost is increased to reduce efforts, particularly at parking-lot speeds. As speeds increase, power assist is reduced, which helps impart a feeling of control.

BRAKES

Improvements also have been made to the Crown Victoria’s four-wheel disc, anti-lock brake system (ABS).

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) is now used to dynamically proportion braking forces front to rear. EBD effectively raises the threshold for ABS engagement by optimizing front-to-rear brake bias.

In addition, a new dual-rate brake booster with “panic assist” automatically supplies full braking power even if the driver doesn’t initially apply enough pedal pressure to engage the standard anti-lock braking system.

SAFETY AND SECURITY

Major contributors to Crown Victoria’s safety performance are a robust frame design, which is improved for 2003 with hydroformed front rails with a large crumple zone and Ford Motor Company’s Personal Safety System™.

The Personal Safety System includes dual-stage front air bags, which are deployed according to crash severity, safety belt usage and the driver’s seat position relative to the steering wheel. The system is equipped with the newest feature, seat-weight sensing, also called Occupant Classification Sensing

Edited by range

Yes, a new frame and suspension are tweaks :rolleyes: . Your pathetic.

It is not a new frame...that is marketing speak from the Blue Oval Boyz.

Tell me sonny boy, have you driven a new Crown Vic...with less than 1K on it? I have driven a fully marked, brand new P71...black and white as well...and you want to know something...it feels the same as my car. Sure the car turns a bit more precisely and is a little tighter, but it is the SAME DAMN CAR.

But, then, only a fool would believe Ford when they call something 'all new' (F-150, Focus, Taurus, Sable, etc).

So....another Panther thread, thanks P :rolleyes:

I didn't bring them up...range did.

He just got owned but can't admit it.

Ha...you go right ahead and think that.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Just got my mother in law a new Milan Premere 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic. It's a very nice car, for the money, and we haven't found any flaws yet, or any reason to take it back to the dealership to fix anything. Power is adequate for what it is. It does not feel quite as peppy as some 4 cylinder Accords and Camrys I have rented lately, but perhaps at WOT it has same performance. But it does not have same sense of engine refinement as those. It may be same engine refinement, it just doesn't give you the sense of it, if you know what I mean. The difference in engine refinement feel is not the difference between timing chains and timing belts. It cost thousands less, and no reason it shouldn't last as long or longer than those. I only mentioned the engine feel because I am aware of it (she isn't), and it would not keep me from buying a Fusion/Milan. Maybe the engine feel difference is just a difference in build philosophy, or how a 4 cyclinder is supposed to sound.

It drives well also. Tracks straight and rides good. Trunk is huge with fold down rear seats for those who haul stuff like bikes in there etc.

This one has some gadgets, Sych which she will never use (she's 83), back up sensors which she needs, and ambiant lighting, which I think is one option I wish I had got on my recently purchased Mustang GT. Ambiant lightning sure dresses up an interior. I'm getting that on my next Ford vehicle for sure.

Edited by Ralph Greene