2010 Bronco

mizzitch

Bring back the Bronco, based on the Land Rover LR3 -

Include all of the current LR3 features, but add the following options and features

- 4.4L V8 turbodiesel

- 4.2L supercharged gas

- more tire options

- aluminum upper control arms & more aluminum body panels (among other weight reductions)

- gas models should weigh less than 5500 #

- diesels should weigh less than 6000#

- limit the amount of badge engineering aka huge ford symbols on the vehicle

Edited by mizzitch

Bring back the Bronco, based on the Land Rover LR3 -

Include all of the current LR3 features, but add the following options and features

- 4.4L V8 turbodiesel

- 4.2L supercharged gas

- more tire options

- aluminum upper control arms & more aluminum body panels (among other weight reductions)

- gas models should weigh less than 5500 #

- diesels should weigh less than 6000#

- limit the amount of badge engineering aka huge ford symbols on the vehicle

post-28332-1207692520_thumb.jpg

I've said this in other threads but in my opinion, the Bronco must come in three key elements:

1. Standard 2 doors only! Maybe the tiny rear doors like on Ranger SuperCab, but at least maximum 2 big doors.

2. Standard 4x4. No 2WD-only; must have 4x4 standard like Hummer.

3. Have available removable hardtop with the body in good rigidity and structurally stiff.

In other words, no 4 'big' doors, 2WD versions (including FWD such as the sh*tty Jeep Compass and Patriot), and fixed tops. If you need 4 door, get an Expedition. Need 2WD, get Expy or current Explorer. Need fixed top, get the two previously-mentioned vehicles.

Bronco should be the above three key elements to compete with the Jeep Wrangler 2-door and Hummer in terms of go-anywhere rock-climbing 4x4 vehicle.

it's coming .... but not as 2010

Igor,

When is it coming? I've heard lots of rumors, etc... but the topic has kind of gone cold. I understand that it will be based on a FWD platform...and I guess I'm ok with that for this iteration of a Bronco. I'm going to need an economical work/play truck in the near future and am anxious to see what it will finally look like. Do you know if it will maintain the basic look and dimensions of the 2004 Bronco Concept, or will it be significantly smaller?

Chromey

I've said this in other threads but in my opinion, the Bronco must come in three key elements:

1. Standard 2 doors only! Maybe the tiny rear doors like on Ranger SuperCab, but at least maximum 2 big doors.

3. Have available removable hardtop with the body in good rigidity and structurally stiff.

In other words, no 4 'big' doors, 2WD versions (including FWD such as the sh*tty Jeep Compass and Patriot), and fixed tops. If you need 4 door, get an Expedition. Need 2WD, get Expy or current Explorer. Need fixed top, get the two previously-mentioned vehicles.

Bronco should be the above three key elements to compete with the Jeep Wrangler 2-door and Hummer in terms of go-anywhere rock-climbing 4x4 vehicle.

Sounds reasonable. I hope the rock -climbing capability wouldn't translate into horrible fuel economy. I could live with V-6 Wrangler type mileage. Since it's a wish list , I'd like to see a manual transmission available.

I just want Ford to basically copy the LR3 like sterling copied the ram trucks. The MSRP should start around 35 and a top end bronco "HSE" should sticker for 50,000.

I'd really rather compete with the Wrangler. I priced a nicely equipped Rubicon at $30,400 plus tax etc. Even as a Ford employee I'd be reluctant to spend $35000 - $50,000 on a Bronco. If I remember correctly , the original Bronco was very much like the Wrangler in size , if not capability. I think a similar vehicle might be a winner in today's marketplace.

Igor,

When is it coming? I've heard lots of rumors, etc... but the topic has kind of gone cold. I understand that it will be based on a FWD platform...and I guess I'm ok with that for this iteration of a Bronco. I'm going to need an economical work/play truck in the near future and am anxious to see what it will finally look like. Do you know if it will maintain the basic look and dimensions of the 2004 Bronco Concept, or will it be significantly smaller?

Chromey

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=23142&hl=

Igor

I see that you (at least I suppose it's you) were the author of the article. So do you have some insider info on this. I know that you have posted alot of good reliable info in the past, so I hope this is accurate stuff. I can't stand the roller-coaster ride the Bronco has been on the last 12-18 mos. I was resigned to it being a car based CUV, but if it can and will be based on a new small truck platform then :happy feet: :woot::headspin: :hyper: I'll be thrilled to no end.

I see that you (at least I suppose it's you) were the author of the article. So do you have some insider info on this. I know that you have posted alot of good reliable info in the past, so I hope this is accurate stuff. I can't stand the roller-coaster ride the Bronco has been on the last 12-18 mos. I was resigned to it being a car based CUV, but if it can and will be based on a new small truck platform then :happy feet: :woot::headspin: :hyper: I'll be thrilled to no end.

most of the info for this article is actually fro BOF, but I did solicit more details I am quite confident in the reliability.

Igor

Sounds reasonable. I hope the rock -climbing capability wouldn't translate into horrible fuel economy. I could live with V-6 Wrangler type mileage. Since it's a wish list , I'd like to see a manual transmission available.

ford cannot compete with jeep (wrangler is the only jeep..the others suck)....ford tries to make a rock climber might as well bulldoze the entire engineering complex and turn it into a park for wranglers..complete with rocks

Edited by snooter

I like the idea of solid axles, but the LR3 does quite well with independent suspension on road and off road.

I do not think that ford should try to compete with Jeep, they should aim higher toward Land Crusier, Land Rover, BMW X5.

The 4.4L in the LR3 leaves a lot to be desired as far as torque goes...this could easily be improved upon with a diesel or 4.6 with turbo or SC.

I like the idea of solid axles, but the LR3 does quite well with independent suspension on road and off road.

I do not think that ford should try to compete with Jeep, they should aim higher toward Land Crusier, Land Rover, BMW X5.

The 4.4L in the LR3 leaves a lot to be desired as far as torque goes...this could easily be improved upon with a diesel or 4.6 with turbo or SC.

What if Ford competed with both?

AMEN, add removable doors and a manual tras too.

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

• 2 years later...

The bronco has the nameplate recognition to compete with the land cruiser, MB G Wagon, and wrangler. People who buy in this category can read specs and understand them. If Ford were to make a new bronco that had selectable 2wd, 4wd-lo, 4wd-hi (with limited slip center diff), and 4wd-hi locked center diff people would buy it. The auto front axle hubs from the Super Duty are pretty reliable now and could really aid in mpgs.

The new 5.0 v8 and a 5.0 turbo could be the power options, as well as the 4.4l diesel. Solid axles are a must for tire life and low alignment need. Selectable locking axle diffs should be an option.

The body should be more square with big interior volume for bigger guys and DITCH the tiny Explorer size steering wheel.