Who makes the best cars?

pcsario

This is so tired. While it's nice to look at how reliable the Fords of the past are, I'm more concerned about what Ford is making RIGHT NOW. Wait 2 or 3 years and see where we're at then. If we still aren't there in 2 or 3 years, then I'll worry.

Well, I recon Focus, Fusion and later Fiesta (and Taurus) are going to savage Toyota's products.

It took Ford a while to reverse the flywheel effect but I'm sure they''l be big again by 2011/2012.

You can see t already starting to change now - reversing trends in the middle of a huge slowdown!!!

I've owned about all the Honda and Acura products the past 10 years. I've also owned most of the Ford products the past 10 years. I haven't had any major problems with any of them.

But I agree.....comparing what Honda made those 10 years against comparable other products....the Honda's were the best overall. The used car market also agrees with that.

The main issue I have with the general comment is that Honda hasn't had a vehicle in all the categories. Also in the last couple years, I have bought two new Milan's, one Montego, and recently a new Mustang, which I think are equal to the Honda's, when comparing price. But I recently drove a new hi end Honda Accord, and I prefer the engines over our Milan's. We own a couple year old Accord we are planning to sell and replace. My daughter drives it, and wants another. So I understand where CU is coming from. But you pay for that Honda refinement.

I think this sums it up. While I do think the Honda's are somewhat better engineered and more refined in their categories, that does not make them more reliable or better transportation. They also usually cost more, so they are not the better buy any more. But I won't knock them. You would have to be ignorant about cars to knock them.

Edited by Ralph Greene

^ Nice to get the perspective from someone that is actually reasoned in their thoughts.

I do have to hand it to Honda when it comes to overall engine refinement that the bulk of their engines exhibit. The power band on some of them may not be to my liking, but at least you don't hear the engine groan as you do with the D30.

I recall driving a brand new 06 Accord coupe back before we got our Fusion, and I was sold on the car. It was well put together, the interior was fairly decent (nothing too special), the V-6 struck me as a great powerplant (and it came with a stick) overall it was a nice car and IMO it was priced right. We wound up with the Fusion because I had to have 4 doors because of RX-8 we had at the time, that and I could not stand the 4 door Accord.

It's too bad the new Accord looks as if it started binge eating and never stopped, that and the fact that Honda decided that 300 similar sized buttons were the route to go.

I bought my mother in law a new 2008 Premere Milan last month. It's the 4 cylinder with 5 speed auto. There is no reason this car can't compete with any car in it's category for reliability. It's also as well engineered and built as a comparable Accord or Camry. However....it's 4 cylinder 2.3 engine is not competitive with a Honda 4 cylinder in refinement or responsive power, even though their advertised HP is similar. This should have no effect on it being as good a transportation device for hundred's of thousands of miles. My mother in law doesn't know the difference.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I bought my mother in law a new 2008 Premere Milan last month. It's the 4 cylinder with 5 speed auto. There is no reason this car can't compete with any car in it's category for reliability. It's also as well engineered and built as a comparable Accord or Camry. However....it's 4 cylinder 2.3 engine is not competitive with a Honda 4 cylinder in refinement or responsive power, even though their advertised HP is similar. This should have no effect on it being as good a transportation device for hundred's of thousands of miles. My mother in law doesn't know the difference.

From my experience, it seems that the 2.3L engine isn't the problem as much as the transmission. It is fine with the 5-spd manual.

From my experience, it seems that the 2.3L engine isn't the problem as much as the transmission. It is fine with the 5-spd manual.

A big part of the difference could be transmission and trans axle gearing making the Ford 2.3 feel more sluggish. I don't really have any complaints with the Ford 2.3. And i think the Fusion/Milan are leaders in their class, especially for the money. I'm sure they will run forever. But drive the Honda, and you will know what I mean.

It may seem I am disloyal to Ford with these statements, but if you notice what I buy, you will realize I am not. And no manufacturer is ever best at everything.

Well, so much for those claiming Ford's quality was equal to Honda's or Toyota's.

Anyway, unfortunately, we are not allowed to copy the entire article.

PC you are confusing two separate issues.

1. A third party assessment of overall value based on the reviewers opinion

2. A third party report of accurately measured "Things Gone Wrong" as reported by their respective manufacturers

Some how I value hard numbers over opinions. I suppose if I were upset with reality I would also search for a supporting opinion from like minded people. Wait till we are done, then you will really be pounding your fist and gritting your teeth! :shades:

Ford second to none VIDEO LINK!

Edited by Furious1Auto

A big part of the difference could be transmission and trans axle gearing making the Ford 2.3 feel more sluggish. I don't really have any complaints with the Ford 2.3. And i think the Fusion/Milan are leaders in their class, especially for the money. I'm sure they will run forever. But drive the Honda, and you will know what I mean.

It may seem I am disloyal to Ford with these statements, but if you notice what I buy, you will realize I am not. And no manufacturer is ever best at everything.

I think a lot of that has to do with being geared for fuel economy rather than performance. Honda also has a higher hp 2.4 i-VTEC in the Accord, that gets almost 200 hp.

I think a lot of that has to do with being geared for fuel economy rather than performance. Honda also has a higher hp 2.4 i-VTEC in the Accord, that gets almost 200 hp.

I have driven the 200 HP VTEC in both Accord and TSX. Nice engine, but it takes Premium.

I think I'm a good test of these cars. Every other month I drive from Central Florida to Morganton NC, to see my 91 year old mother, a one way trip of about 550 miles. Sometimes I drive my cars (98 Explorer, 2005 Montego, Mustang, or Accord), but many times I just rent a car for the trip. Usually an Accord or Camry....rental versions.

Usually on way home, for a game with myself, I try for good gas milage, just going speed limit, easy in and out of rest areas, no idling in fast food lines, etc. I fill to over flow before I leave Morganton, then top it up as far down the road as I can get. I usually manage about 24-24.5 MPG with my SOHC 4.0 Explorer with 3.73's. Usually a tad over 30 MPG with the Montego. 28.5 on a 2003 Mach 1 with 3.55's. (Haven't taken the 2008 Mustang yet) About 33 MPG with mother in laws 2006 Milan auto 2.3 with one passenger. Around 34 with an 5 speed auto Accord. One time I drove a 5 speed auto Camry all the way home, 550 miles, without a fill up....36.5 MPG. I think overall gearing (or lack of gear) is main thing for good cruising economy.

When sitting in a car for 10-11 hours, little things show up. My beater 98 Explorer has by far the most comfortable seats. The Montego is next. The Accord has the most powerful 4 cylinder engine for driving....about the same as the V 6 Montego. To me, the Camry has a more comfortable driving position than the Accord, though in the rental versions, the Accord seems screwed together better.

The car that is the most impressive to me considering cost (about $25,000 as I recall) , size, comfort, fuel economy, quality of build, gadgets, etc is our Premere Montego with the 6 speed Aisin (Toyota) transmission. It only turns 2000 at 70, which probably accounts for it's excellent fuel economy, it does have to downshift occasionally when in cruise from 6th to 5 th sometimes on long steep hills (a bump of about 400 RPM you hardly notice), otherwise power is adequate for vehicle, considering economy. These cars would be an excellent used buy. But get the 6 speed, not the CVT.

Edited by Ralph Greene

^ The other half's parents made the switch to a Montego back in 2005. They fell so much in love with the car that they went from not having owned a single Ford product in 58 years, to acquiring a Zephyr and a Mariner. All of this was surprising but as far as they are concerned Ford has offered quality products, opposed to the experiences had with Chrysler, GM, Audi and VW.