Cloth top or vinyl?

PTRocks

Cloth is far less resistant to cracking/splitting over time. Of course, if you take proper care of the vinyl, it will last as long as the rest of the car as well. Cloth looks a bit nicer in my opinion, but that's about it.

At least at my Dealership, customers seem to like the vinyl convertible tops because they're very durable and will look great for the life of the car if they're taken care of. In fact, I can't remember a single customer that's even asked about a cloth top.

The other option worth noting is the Convertible Soft Boot. In my opinion and experience it's a waste of money and not worth the bother. It's another option that few if any ask about. I've driven a number of Mustang convertibles in parades with a couple of models sitting on top of the folded top which is very strong and looks just fine.

At least at my Dealership, customers seem to like the vinyl convertible tops because they're very durable and will look great for the life of the car if they're taken care of. In fact, I can't remember a single customer that's even asked about a cloth top.

The other option worth noting is the Convertible Soft Boot. In my opinion and experience it's a waste of money and not worth the bother. It's another option that few if any ask about. I've driven a number of Mustang convertibles in parades with a couple of models sitting on top of the folded top which is very strong and looks just fine.

Thanks a ton for the info. It'll be great to save the 400$!

Definitely agree with you there. Sort of defeats having a power top if you have a manual boot.

keep in mind that cloth tops are only available in black too. If you want one in a matching color as the interior you must get the vinyl. Also keep in mind that the vinyls have the tendency to peel. The cloths look better and will def last longer..

Leave it to me to be one of the few that actually bought one. :hysterical:

Actually, like Nick said, it is kinda dumb to have a manual boot. However, I got it for those occasions when I'd be driving on highways. I think it adds a nice smooth finish to the car.

Still a pain in the behind, though, with them snaps. :finger:

BTW, don't the cloth tops have an extra layer of sound/thermal proofing? If so, it is not just the outer material being different, but also the layers.

Not sure about the cloth, but my '03 top has the fabric/foam layer on the inside. It does a nice job with the top up.

Not sure about the cloth, but my '03 top has the fabric/foam layer on the inside. It does a nice job with the top up.

My '03 has a rather thick inner lining too, but the cloth is suppose to have that, plus an extra middle layer.

• 2 weeks later...

Cloth is the way to go -- more durable, looks better. Just make sure that you get some RaggTopp and treat it. That really rocks.

I agree on the boot cover. Mine is still in the packing bag -- just no real reason to use it. Save those $$ and put them into the cloth top. :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't the cloth top come from the Jaguar converts since still owned Jaguar at the time. they look great on the Jag. and doesn't Volvo have a retractable convert top that fits into the trunk area since you can't put anything in the Mustang trunk. why not put a retractable top on the Mustang. ????

Didn't the cloth top come from the Jaguar converts since still owned Jaguar at the time. they look great on the Jag. and doesn't Volvo have a retractable convert top that fits into the trunk area since you can't put anything in the Mustang trunk. why not put a retractable top on the Mustang. ????

Actually the Mustang Convert has a suprising amount of trunk room. To me that is a plus. The retractable tops look good but you have absoulutely no trunk space. I recently rented a Chrysler Sebring convert that has a retractable top. It was a decent car but the lack of luggage space with the top down would of been a deal breaker for me had I considered buying one.

If a retractable top could be paired with a reasonable amount of trunk space, IMO, the resulting car would be a seller.

Both the coupe and the convertible have a rather small trunk. However, the soft convertible top, when down, doesn't decrease the trunk space all that much.

I have been a major advocate of the retractable hardtop, but I have to admit, it never dawned on me that it would use up most, if not all, of the trunk space. That makes me wonder, on the cars which today have a retractable hardtop, are there sensors in the trunk to detect if there is any cargo in there, before allowing the roof to attempt to retract?

Edited by Walt

• 2 weeks later...
Both the coupe and the convertible have a rather small trunk. However, the soft convertible top, when down, doesn't decrease the trunk space all that much.

I have been a major advocate of the retractable hardtop, but I have to admit, it never dawned on me that it would use up most, if not all, of the trunk space. That makes me wonder, on the cars which today have a retractable hardtop, are there sensors in the trunk to detect if there is any cargo in there, before allowing the roof to attempt to retract?

I made it sound like the Sebring was a retractable hardtop. It isn't but it operates much the same. The top stores under an electric lift up body panel just like a retractable hardtop. With the top down there is room for a SMALL amount of luggage. I had my choice between the Sebring or a Pontiac G6 retractable hardtop. The G6 is a beautiful car. I was going to take the Pontiac but with the top down there was room for absolutely NO luggage. NONE.

The new Sebring comes with either a retractable mtetal or folding cloth roof. So it operates the same for both roof types, which takes up all luggage space even with the soft roof.

In the boot (trunk) there is a retractable panel which has to be in place for the roof system to work. This panel, basically, cuts the boot space in half height wise. The best way to use it is put the luggage in the boot, put the panel in place then put the roof down. You obviously don't gain any more luggage space but it's easier this way than puttting the luggage in afterwards and having to try and get it through the opening and under the retractable panel.