Lincoln Sentinel Video

Since I wasn't old enough to drive go-carts when it came out, I've only seen the Lincoln Sentinel--everyone's favorite polarizing, ridiculously angry-looking concept from 1996--in the same press shots everyone else has seen, where it looks a) made out of papier-mache and B ) completely ridiculous. For reference:

post-28333-1212772730_thumb.jpg

So I was very surprised when I saw

and actually liked the Sentinel in the "flesh." I thought, if nothing else, it would interest some people here. The other inspiration of this post: I saw the MKS commercial yesterday and I loved it--just a great luxo commercial. The interior and the gadgets are all great; the gauges and the hidden passcode pad, in particular, are awesome. I just wish, whether it was the Sentinel styling or something else, it looked more distinctive on the outside. Edited by danup

Since I wasn't old enough to drive go-carts when it came out, I've only seen the Lincoln Sentinel--everyone's favorite polarizing, ridiculously angry-looking concept from 1996--in the same press shots everyone else has seen, where it looks a) made out of papier-mache and B ) completely ridiculous. For reference:

post-28333-1212772730_thumb.jpg

So I was very surprised when I saw

and actually liked the Sentinel in the "flesh." I thought, if nothing else, it would interest some people here. The other inspiration of this post: I saw the MKS commercial yesterday and I loved it--just a great luxo commercial. The interior and the gadgets are all great; the gauges and the hidden passcode pad, in particular, are awesome. I just wish, whether it was the Sentinel styling or something else, it looked more distinctive on the outside.

While that video does make it look better than pictures, it's still not the best looking vehicle by any means. The back design isn't bad, IMO though.

It was hideous.

Surfacing-wise, I'm glad the MKS has more of the MK9's smooth surfaces than the Sentilnel's harsh lines.

Linkoln%20MK9.jpg

I agree with pcsario on this one....I prefer the Mark IX's lines and overall design to the Sentinel.

The Sentinel wold have benefited from becoming a production car. it would have lost the awkward front end angles. Certainly a nice profile.

I saw it back then, too mean, not enough elegance.

It tested the waters for what was to become the Town Car.... A few of the suggested details survived into production. When the Sentinel was revealed we were still living in the world of a very boxy Town Car.

Anyway that Ugly Sentinel looks like a half assed under-detailed mockup made out of cardboard. The nice thing is Ford does a much better job now of making concept cars that are well detailed and finshed that they look production almost ready and very believable... So much so that we are often disappointed when some don't make it to production.

Edited by Watchdevil

a half assed under-detailed mockup made out of cardboard

And you know what? Even by the less rigorous standards of the mid 90s, that thing looks like it was thrown together. I mean that is 60s-70s grade concept car. It wouldn't've even passed muster as one of the 80s Ford Probe concepts.

Did they ever have an interior shot of that or was it completely nonexistent (that would be my guess). I mean did it even have working doors?

And you know what? Even by the less rigorous standards of the mid 90s, that thing looks like it was thrown together. I mean that is 60s-70s grade concept car. It wouldn't've even passed muster as one of the 80s Ford Probe concepts.

Did they ever have an interior shot of that or was it completely nonexistent (that would be my guess). I mean did it even have working doors?

I doubt it. Heck, when I was at last year's NAIAS show, the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept they had there didn't have working doors or an interior. You could clearly see the inside was a flat plastic piece with a few bumps, etc. to make the very top look as if there were a guage cluster and steering wheel (and thus interior)in there.

I doubt it. Heck, when I was at last year's NAIAS show, the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept they had there didn't have working doors or an interior. You could clearly see the inside was a flat plastic piece with a few bumps, etc. to make the very top look as if there were a guage cluster and steering wheel (and thus interior)in there.

When the Shelby GR1 concept first made the rounds (before they gave it the polished exterior) it didn't have an interior mockup either.

Half assed concepts with no working interiors are fine for evaluating prototypes on manufacturers grounds. However to present something that is not detailed and finished to auto shows is a big no-no. I think Ford has done a good job with concepts of the recent 10 years. They just look complete and real.

Check out this video!

There is a Sentinel that is complete with an interior. It does look like folded cardboard. It's interesting that the Sentinel brought up the first ressurrection of the bow-wave grille. That was 1996. Many of the design elements are on the 98 Lincoln Town car. It's obvious to me that in 1996 the design of the 1998 Town Car was locked in at the time the Sentinel was released and it really was a preview of what was coming.

Edited by Watchdevil

Check out this video!

There is a Sentinel that is complete with an interior. It does look like folded cardboard. It's interesting that the Sentinel brought up the first ressurrection of the bow-wave grille. That was 1996. Many of the design elements are on the 98 Lincoln Town car. It's obvious to me that in 1996 the design of the 1998 Town Car was locked in at the time the Sentinel was released and it really was a preview of what was coming.

That looked worse than cardboard. LOL. Did anybody notice that red Super Duty or whatever concept thing behind the Sentinel in one of the pictures. I'd never seen that before, it looked strange.