Reading Speedometer

weriley

My wife has a 08 MM and loves it. The only thing she doesn't like is the poor design of the speedometer.

Does anyone know if Ford/Mercury is going to fix the visual problem? If your not aware of it, the speedometer is broken down into 10 MPH with only short hash marks in between the 10's. This makes it a bit challenging to go 65, for example, when you need to count everytime.

My wife has a 08 MM and loves it. The only thing she doesn't like is the poor design of the speedometer.

Does anyone know if Ford/Mercury is going to fix the visual problem? If your not aware of it, the speedometer is broken down into 10 MPH with only short hash marks in between the 10's. This makes it a bit challenging to go 65, for example, when you need to count everytime.

Wouldn't that be half-way between 60 and 70? Why do you have to count the hash marks?

Hi weriley. :D Hey, consider yourself lucky. The speedometer in my MKZ is broken down into 20 mph increments (20-40-60-80) instead of 10 mph increments (20-30-40-50). My Cougar is 10 mph increments. In addition, there are only small hashmarks at the 5 position in each car. None at all for each individual mph. So if I want to drive at 62 mph, I have to ballpark it! I have managed to suffer through it.

Like akirby stated, 65 is just halfway between 60 and 70. There just is not enough room to number every mph increment. It really is not a "problem", so it is doubtful Ford will address it to your satisfaction. And if they did, it would mean they would label the speedometer on the 5's (25-35-45-55). Then others would complain that they want it labeled 20-30-40-50 mph. So you just can't win this one.

In addition (and not trying to be a wiseguy), you do understand that speedometers in mass produced cars are not precision instruments? Most car speedometers have a margin of error of about 3%. This means that at 65 mph, you really could be going any speed from approximately 63-67 mph. Just keep it halfway between 60 and 70.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Weriley

If you haven't heard about the Scangauge II (SGII), it might be worth looking into. This gauge plugs-in just above the brake pedal into what is called the OBD II port. The gauge is small and can be mounted just about anywhere with a homemade bracket or velcro and can be move from vehicle to vehicle in minutes. The OBD II port is required by law since 1996 to test and view trouble codes stored in the PCM (engine computer), but many other uses can be added like what the SGII does. The SGII can not only read the trouble codes to determine why you have a dash warning light to repair something, but it can also reset the light after the repair.

Most hypermilers own the SGII because of all the gauges that are also available to read. The PCM monitors just about everything through all the sensors throughout the vehicle and the SGII can read of up to 4 gauges at a time. Take for example you want to see you speed in MPH or km/h, you just choose that gauge to monitor as one of the 4 gauges you can read at a time. The MPH gauge will read each MPH exactly so when your going 57mph, it will show 57mph. Say you want to read RPM's as one of the 4 gauges, at the push of a button you can read the exact RPM as one of your displayed gauges. RPM's are displayed like 1,545 RPM's instead of just 1500 or 1600. You have so many gauges like Transmission temp, coolant temperature, head temperature, MAF, engine load, open or closed loop, and much more. If there is a gauge you want to read in your MM and it's not stored in the SGII, you can add up to 20 extra gauges to read from your PCM and display on any one of the 4 gauges the SGII will display at a time. Example, most of us hybrid owners want to monitor our HV battery level so we added that gauge to read the percentage of the state of charge (SOC) while driving in electric. I monitor SOC, RPM, Instant MPG, and engine load on one SGII, and added another SGII to read average MPG per current trip, Todays MPG average, Previous days MPG and the total Tank MPG average from fill-up.

You or your wife can learn how to drive the most efficient way with a SGII, repair or know what needs to be repaired in your vehicle and monitor your gas mileage throughout your tank at all times. The SGII does much more than I am explaining here. The cost is $169, but you can go to sites that have group buys at $150 shipped to you. The last one I bought was in a group buy at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ The tread to be added to the next group buy is: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12018 The owner of the site is a friend and the best hypermiler on earth. You will need to join the site (free) in order to get in on the group buy. Also, you can buy direct for $169 at

http://scangauge.com/ .

I have three SG's in my cars and will never drive without at least one in every vehicle. You can view where I mounted the two in my '05 FEH in my photo gallery at CleanMPG.com, but the site is experiencing overload lately while they try to get a larger server.

Hi Weriley

If you haven't heard about the Scangauge II (SGII),

Now I will say it, your a complete fucking moron.

The man is complaining about how the speedo reads and you spam your damn advertisement into his post.

Not one frigging word about the topic, just your AD for the gauge AGAIN. Like you've done before.

You give people a bad name that drive these hybrids where you advocate filling the tyres to over 55 PSI.

I've given up in your last thread where I challenged you and you came back with this same moronic post that you just spewed here again.

Why don't you take your hypermiling ass to your green site where your in company with all the other treehuggers and live a contented like.

Here your just a fucking idiot.

And PAL I own an Escape Hybrid and still think your one of the stupidest assholes on the road.

To be honest this is not entirely true. While Gary's post may be perceived as pure advertisement he does in fact address the concern the original poster had even if it does not address the original question per se.

The original poster questioned the way the speedometer was layed out because with no distinctions between the 10 mph increments it makes it difficult to determine what the actual speed was. He/she questioned if anyone knew if Ford/Mercury was addressing this in newer models.

Gary's post did not address the speedometer issue regarding future models but did offer an alternative to see what the actual speed was by way of the scanguage.

And for the record I do not have one of these units nor am I sure if I would put one in my 09 FEH that I have ordered.

Whatever issue you two have between one another is just that, between you two and not the rest of us.

To be honest this is not entirely true. While Gary's post may be perceived as pure advertisement he does in fact address the concern the original poster had even if it does not address the original question per se.

The original poster questioned the way the speedometer was layed out because with no distinctions between the 10 mph increments it makes it difficult to determine what the actual speed was. He/she questioned if anyone knew if Ford/Mercury was addressing this in newer models.

Gary's post did not address the speedometer issue regarding future models but did offer an alternative to see what the actual speed was by way of the scanguage.

And for the record I do not have one of these units nor am I sure if I would put one in my 09 FEH that I have ordered.

Whatever issue you two have between one another is just that, between you two and not the rest of us.

There is no issues between Critic and I, Critic only has issues with himself. I don't work or make any money from the sale of the SGII, I paid full retail for two I own, and the last one I got in the group buy. If I sounded like spam, it was because I believe it's a great tool that could help anyone interested. The reason I brought up the SGII was to help solve an existing problem reading MPH and help with other gauge issues they may have. I have little or no control over Ford improving OEM gauges in the future, but I know a way to improve the situation.

I enjoy and also talk very highly of the FEH, yet I paid $500 over sticker on my '05 FEH and have ordered an '09 at sticker. I guess Critic thinks what I say about the FEH is spam also. As far as being a treehugger, I just don't like giving all my money to BIG OIL!

As far as being a treehugger, I just don't like giving all my money to BIG OIL!

Me either...and I lean to the right but big oil ticks me off and I live in a Ford town and decided I needed to do a better job supporting a local company with this economy. I also happen to like most of your posts and find them quite informative...both here and on GH.

double post, but the idiot is a complete pocket protector asshole

Sorry Critic, I am a bad ass that likes to get along. My address is still good if you want to tangle little boy! 715 Irwin Lane Jupiter FL. Please tell us were I can find you little feller?

Hi weriley. :D Hey, consider yourself lucky. The speedometer in my MKZ is broken down into 20 mph increments (20-40-60-80) instead of 10 mph increments (20-30-40-50). My Cougar is 10 mph increments. In addition, there are only small hashmarks at the 5 position in each car. None at all for each individual mph. So if I want to drive at 62 mph, I have to ballpark it! I have managed to suffer through it.

Like akirby stated, 65 is just halfway between 60 and 70. There just is not enough room to number every mph increment. It really is not a "problem", so it is doubtful Ford will address it to your satisfaction. And if they did, it would mean they would label the speedometer on the 5's (25-35-45-55). Then others would complain that they want it labeled 20-30-40-50 mph. So you just can't win this one.

In addition (and not trying to be a wiseguy), you do understand that speedometers in mass produced cars are not precision instruments? Most car speedometers have a margin of error of about 3%. This means that at 65 mph, you really could be going any speed from approximately 63-67 mph. Just keep it halfway between 60 and 70.

With virtually all speed limits being 5 mph number why in the world would a manufacture do that?

For those that don't have perfect vision, having to take your eyes off the raod and allow refocus then count, guess, the speed is not a good thing.

With virtually all speed limits being 5 mph number why in the world would a manufacture do that?

For those that don't have perfect vision, having to take your eyes off the raod and allow refocus then count, guess, the speed is not a good thing.

Hi weriley. :D I understand your point. However, as a counterpoint I would offer this: Since virtually no one drives the posted limit, exceeding it by at least 5 mph, it could be argued that it makes more sense to have the marked speeds be on the 10's instead of the fives. Heck, everyone knows "you can drive 5 mph over the limit without worrying about being stopped by the police", right?

It could also be argued that someone who's eyesight is so bad that they have trouble focusing on the speedometer for a second or two and then back on the road should not be driving in the first place. At least not until they see the Optometrist and get new glasses.

Of course, I am only joking and making these points in a "tongue in cheek' manner. Neither you, I or anyone else can answer why the speedometer is marked the way it is. It just is.

I don't think many people make a car buying decision based on speedometer markings, so it is just one of those things we have to learn to live with.

Again, I am not trying to be a wise-guy, just presenting some joking counterpoints.

Edited by bbf2530

I thought the design in the Mariner Hybrid was a little strange too. While it's not too hard to put the needle "a little past halfway between 20 and 40" if one wants to go 35 in the speed traps in my town, all Ford really needs to do is place a small dot at the 25, 35, 45, etc. mph points in front of the tip of the needle, and a larger dot at 10, 30, 50 mph points. As far as I'm concerned, if they did that the twenty lines between the numbers could disappear altogether and the design would be much cleaner.

The slightly longer tic mark at 10 mph between numbered intervals lies underneath the needle and isn't visible when it's on it. That's a poor design too. Anyone coming from the old days of analog gauges in engineering (as I do) knows you don't hide gradations under a needle. In a nuclear power plant, that could spell disaster.

Of course this is an SUV and not a nuclear plant, but there's something to be said to design things so that they are usable. Especially when paying $30,000-plus dollars for them.

Now I will say it, your a complete fucking moron.

The man is complaining about how the speedo reads and you spam your damn advertisement into his post.

Not one frigging word about the topic, just your AD for the gauge AGAIN. Like you've done before.

You give people a bad name that drive these hybrids where you advocate filling the tyres to over 55 PSI.

I've given up in your last thread where I challenged you and you came back with this same moronic post that you just spewed here again.

Why don't you take your hypermiling ass to your green site where your in company with all the other treehuggers and live a contented like.

Here your just a fucking idiot.

And PAL I own an Escape Hybrid and still think your one of the stupidest assholes on the road.

It appears Critic's big mouth doesn't want me to know where I can find him. I'd like to explain my position in person to him. Critic, can we meet?

It appears Critic's big mouth doesn't want me to know where I can find him. I'd like to explain my position in person to him. Critic, can we meet?

I'm no big mouth, I just called you a moron and I stick to it. Now you've proved that point too.

what an ass, you live in FL. and want to meet up.

I'll meet you on the road and flatten your ass when you cause a wreck with your illregard towards other drivers that have to share the road with you.

Look for me in your rear-view mirror. Once again, you always skirt the real questions,, filling tires above 55 PSI, and abusing the vehicle. After warranty is out on this one. you order a new one. I wonder how much Ford had to pay for the abuse you did to the old one.

Somehow, I think your use to other drivers pissed at you also.

I'm no big mouth, I just called you a moron and I stick to it. Now you've proved that point too.

what an ass, you live in FL. and want to meet up.

I'll meet you on the road and flatten your ass

Those kinds of threats will put you in Jail Critic. Do you understand you are not a critic but a serious threat to this board and yourself? It's to bad the site continues to let you post your foul speech about me.

Those kinds of threats will put you in Jail Critic. Do you understand you are not a critic but a serious threat to this board and yourself? It's to bad the site continues to let you post your foul speech about me.

ooooooooo poor baby got his feelings hurt?

that was no threat pal.. you can edit it anyway you like.. you can look at it as a promise.