Odyssey problem...

ford-boy

I just happened to be looking through the NHTSA complaints of the Odyssey and a customer wrote in that their 2006 7 week old minivan was leaking oil. A trip to the dealer revealed that the transmission case was cracked during manufacture. The customer was not happy when the dealer told him they would be replacing parts in his trans from '05 and '06 parts to repair the leak. He of course wanted a new trans but Honda refused. I would not be happy either.

Somebody, either the dealer, or the customer, is full of crap. Honestly, I think it's the customer. See, for better or worse, Honda treats the transmission as a FRU, or a Field Replaceable Unit. Honda would NEVER authorized the repair of the transmission at the dealer for a warranty issue. The only thing Honda does is remove/replace. That's it. The reason is that Honda takes the trans and analyzes it to see if there are patterns, etc, in any mechanical failures.

Edited by bec5150

Somebody, either the dealer, or the customer, is full of crap. Honestly, I think it's the customer.

That may be true, it may not be.

I find it amusing how every problem a Ford customer has is automatically true and Ford's fault yet one Honda owner has a problem and they're full of crap.

:shrug:

According to the consumers complaint on the NHTSA board, Honda will be replacing transmission parts with parts from 2005 and 2006 and then claim that the trans is refurbished. In addition, he states that Honda will not guarrantee to him, that these parts will not be from vehicles that were damaged in hurricanes. And hence, he is not happy. I don't think I would be either. After spending all that money for a NEW vehicle, the joy of "new" would be tarnished if I heard that my car would now have a "rebuilt" unit only seven weeks after I bought it. I think in this case, Honda should have just shipped a brand new unit and be done with it.

Somebody, either the dealer, or the customer, is full of crap. Honestly, I think it's the customer. See, for better or worse, Honda treats the transmission as a FRU, or a Field Replaceable Unit. Honda would NEVER authorized the repair of the transmission at the dealer for a warranty issue. The only thing Honda does is remove/replace. That's it. The reason is that Honda takes the trans and analyzes it to see if there are patterns, etc, in any mechanical failures.

I'm inclined to agree... especially for such a new vehicle.

ANY manufacturer would probably replace the part and want to have a look at the whole vehicle... what happened/how it happened. Are there any links to this info?

Make: HONDA

Model: ODYSSEY

Type: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE

Year: 2006

Complaint Number: 10145827

Summary:

NEW, 2006 HONDA ODYSSEY, PURCHASED NEW DRIVEN FOR 7 WEEKS. LEAKING NOTICED ON GARAGE FLOOR. SERVICE DEPARTMENT SAID THERE WAS A CRACK IN THE TRANSMISSION CASING THAT OCCURRED DURING MANUFACTURING PROCESS, THAT THE MOLD IT WAS MADE FROM MUST HAVE BEEN DEFECTIVE. UNFORTUNATELY, HONDA REFUSES TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A NEW ONE, BUT WILL USE A MISH-MASH OF PARTS FROM 2005 & 2006 AND CLAIM IT AS REFURBISHED. THEY WILL NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE PARTS DID NOT COME FROM VEHICLES DAMAGED IN HURRICANES. OUR NEW VEHICLE WILL NOW BE A SUBSTANDARD VEHICLE. I THINK OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE TRANSMISSION MADE FROM THIS LOT SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED FOR THE SAME FACTORY DEFECT, AND THAT UNSUSPECTING CONSUMERS NOT HAVE TO BE FORCED TO UNDERWRITE HONDA'S FAILED FACTORY INSPECTION PROCESS. *NM

There is the complaint summary from the NHTSA

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

I don't believe ANY company, Honda, Ford, or otherwise, would use a "mishmash" of used parts to fix a new transmission on a vehicle with less than two months on the clock. Since it is a "cracked case" from the factory, which is a rare to nonexistant sort of failure, I would be more inclined to believe someone ran over a concrete block or fire hydrant. Being told "you hit something and we ain't coverin it" might have got them to submit a complaint.

Really, be it Ford, Honda, or whoever, how many transmission CASES do you see that just start leaking? Not gaskets, not trans lines, but CASES.

Two years ago, A good friend of mine found a puddle of tranny fluid under his 1 month old, 500 mile '03 Lightning. When he took it in to his dealer they found it was leaking from a crack in the case. The only units the dealer could get were reman's which my friend, nor the dealer or the SVT rep, wanted. The dealer ordered a case and took the 'guts' out of the orginal trans and put it in the new case. This was the first that I had ever heard this being done. I checked with someone that I knew in the parts dept and he confirmed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Then again Honda makes quality automobiles doesn't it? Just like this transmission issue with these mini-vans. This may be an isolated case but if this same problems turns up time and time again in the months ahead. Honda will once again have egg on their face with these problems.

I feel sorry for the people who buy these Honda mini-vans. They must think they are smart don't they? In fact I don't feel sorry for them at all. Anytime I see one that breaks down. I'll just drive by with a smile on my face! :bandance: :bandance:

Then again Honda makes quality automobiles doesn't it? Just like this transmission issue with these mini-vans. This may be an isolated case but if this same problems turns up time and time again in the months ahead. Honda will once again have egg on their face with these problems.

I feel sorry for the people who buy these Honda mini-vans. They must think they are smart don't they? In fact I don't feel sorry for them at all. Anytime I see one that breaks down. I'll just drive by with a smile on my face! :bandance: :bandance:

Yeah, I agree. My father, who's Winstar laid an egg at 85K, now has a 1999 Ody with about 125K on the clock. You should feel sorry for him when his trans goes out. It hasn't gone out yet, but I am sure it will. When it does, he will be pissed that the trans didn't last as long as the one in his 1991 Civic 4wd wagon, which has 221K on it. He borrowed my Ranger this week so I drove the Civic to work and back. Runs like a watch.

My brother has a 2001 Ody and it's a reall POS. Well, it will be, when it breaks. It's gonna happen, I am sure it will. It's got 92K on it. When his trans goes out, he will be absolutely put out. I mean, his 1992 Accord had 294K on it when he sold it and the automatic trans was just fine. He got rid of it so he could buy a 2000 Accord with 142K on it.

Did you feel sorry for me when my trans, and engine, 2 O2 sensors, and a power window regulator, and a coolant recovery bottle all went out on my 1997 Taurus, all before 125K? At least I got 1500 bucks for it at the auction.

Edited by bec5150

:cheerleader:

the only things she's missing is a big H on her cheerleader uniform!

:cheerleader: Give me an H !

:cheerleader: Give me an O !

Oh crap, give me a HOSE !

12honda.jpg

Edited by range

the only things she's missing is a big H on her cheerleader uniform!

:cheerleader: Give me an H !

:cheerleader: Give me an O !

Oh crap, give me a HOSE !

12honda.jpg

How about actually rebutting what he has to say? Or is that too hard (or, more likely, impossible)? Judging by trends in the market shares of these two companies, an increasing number of buyers have had similar experiences.

The Ford Freestar is so successful that it is now being outsold by...the Kia minivan. Ouch. And the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey will soon end up on the scrap heap.

I've had and heard from friends and family of good and bad experiences with vehicles from Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, VW, and countless others. Little seems to equal the good experiences people on here have had with Fords, which is fine I mean this is a Ford board and people are on here because they've had products to be proud of. However nothing, and I mean nothing, I've seen or heard seems to equal the supposed bad experiences that some of the anti-"anything but Ford" (lately, especially Honda and Toyota) people on here have had. I just can't see these complaints as credible when they don't even come up as much (or as bad) on respective discussion forums, despite the problems that (yes!) do come to light.

Ford isn't made more competitive by dismissing the competition, which is what seems to happen here. In my travels to different boards, little seems to compare to the absolute one-sided and ignorant view of the competition some members here sometimes display. Rarely is a vehicle (or, in life, anything) ever completely good or completely bad. Around here though, it seems like it is. :shrug:

I've had and heard from friends and family of good and bad experiences with vehicles from Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, VW, and countless others. Little seems to equal the good experiences people on here have had with Fords, which is fine I mean this is a Ford board and people are on here because they've had products to be proud of. However nothing, and I mean nothing, I've seen or heard seems to equal the supposed bad experiences that some of the anti-"anything but Ford" (lately, especially Honda and Toyota) people on here have had. I just can't see these complaints as credible when they don't even come up as much (or as bad) on respective discussion forums, despite the problems that (yes!) do come to light.

Ford isn't made more competitive by dismissing the competition, which is what seems to happen here. In my travels to different boards, little seems to compare to the absolute one-sided and ignorant view of the competition some members here sometimes display. Rarely is a vehicle (or, in life, anything) ever completely good or completely bad. Around here though, it seems like it is. :shrug:

Agreed. In the case of the Ridgeline, no one knows how bad the Ridgeline is more than Honda and they will take another shot at it, just like they did the second Civic, the second Accord, CR-V, and especially the Ody, which went from a laughable half station wagon to benchmark vehicle in less than three years.

Dismissing the competion and blowing things out of proportion in order to create a happy little world, well, that's how Ford and GM got to where they are in the market now.

Ford isn't made more competitive by dismissing the competition, which is what seems to happen here.

I think you're missing the point. Too many people have this view that once you buy a Toyota or a Honda you'll never have any mechanical problems whatsoever. That is not realistic. All cars have problems, some more than others. I don't think the intention is to say Ford doesn't have issues that need to be addressed. Just that it's not only Ford and GM that have these issues. Of course, people are going to have worse experiences with GM and Ford, since they accounted for more than half of the vehicles sold in North America the past 50 years. It's interesting to me to see that as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan sell more vehicles, their quality seems to decrease. This is evident by the increased number of recalls.

I think you're missing the point. Too many people have this view that once you buy a Toyota or a Honda you'll never have any mechanical problems whatsoever. That is not realistic. All cars have problems, some more than others. I don't think the intention is to say Ford doesn't have issues that need to be addressed. Just that it's not only Ford and GM that have these issues. Of course, people are going to have worse experiences with GM and Ford, since they accounted for more than half of the vehicles sold in North America the past 50 years. It's interesting to me to see that as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan sell more vehicles, their quality seems to decrease. This is evident by the increased number of recalls.

Exactly right! The same metrics that Honda used in the past to say they have superior quality, now show a different story.

The Honda cheerleading squad :cheerleader: :cheerleader: is too busy with the pom-poms to acknowledge the real quality story out there today.

They also seem to ignore the fact that Honda's have mechanical failures, serious ones.

And fail to acknowledge the 13, yes 13 recalls on the Odyssey.

In regards to the topic of this thread, the cheerleading squad prefers to ignore the repeated Honda transmission debacle, which is still happening today.

Here is a typical example of an Honda transaxle failure. The pinion pin was not properly hardened and was destroyed by the pinion gears inside the differential. This results in the Honda transmission basically exploding. This is one of the common failure modes of this Honda transmission.

post-18989-1145825275_thumb.jpg

Exactly right! The same metrics that Honda used in the past to say they have superior quality, now show a different story.

The Honda cheerleading squad :cheerleader: :cheerleader: is too busy with the pom-poms to acknowledge the real quality story out there today.

They also seem to ignore the fact that Honda's have mechanical failures, serious ones.

And fail to acknowledge the 13, yes 13 recalls on the Odyssey.

In regards to the topic of this thread, the cheerleading squad prefers to ignore the repeated Honda transmission debacle, which is still happening today.

Here is a typical example of an Honda transaxle failure. The pinion pin was not properly hardened and was destroyed by the pinion gears inside the differential. This results in the Honda transmission basically exploding. This is one of the common failure modes of this Honda transmission.

post-18989-1145825275_thumb.jpg

First, you are misinformed. That is NOT the common failure on the Honda transmissions. The common failure is with the overdrive solinoid and heat damage due to improper fluid cooling. That wouldn't be a pic of a Honda transmission from a Honda dealer because they dont even take the transmissions apart. Honda dealers do a remove and replace only.

Second, you fail to mention that Honda extended the warranties on the effected Ody's to 100K miles. Both my father's 1999 and my brother's 2001 have one page letters in the owner's manual put ther from the previous owners stating this.

Besides, it's like my father said. He said "Hey, if I have to put a $3000 transmission in my Ody at 135K, that's ok. The van will still have some resale value and the engine and other parts still have enough life left in them that a new trans is worth the money."

Unlike his 1996 windstar, which had over 2500 bucks worth of gasket and sensors go out right before the trans started to take a dump, all before 85K miles. Oh, and all of the fine support that he got from Ford? HA!!! Three dealers, one district manager, one regional manager, and it all amounted to one big goose egg. It all figured into one big $4000 lesson learned.

See, you are totally convinced that Honda is junk and everyone should buy a Ford. That's great, but you gotta go convince folks like my father. 10 years ago he had a Ford and Dodge sitting in the garage. Now he has three Honda's because he got a raw deal from the American manufacturers.

And he doesn't give a tinker's damn what you think because it was HIS money that got wasted on a 1996 Windstar. It's those three Hondas, one with over 120K, one with over 150K, and another with over 220K miles and NONE of them giving trouble.

Oh, and I just got done changing the oil on the 2003 CR-V. It still hasn't turned into a Honda bonfire like you keep saying.

Edited by bec5150

Ironically I have a neighbor a few houses down who in casual conversation went on to mention he was going car shopping. I asked what he was shopping for, and he pretty much has his eyes set on the Acura TL. He currently has a 98 CL 2.3. I asked how come...Mentions to me it had already 130K miles, the A/C compressor blew out around 80K (typical for Honda), both power window motors are about to die (going up rather slow), radio has electrical issues, sometimes the power lock works, sometimes doesnt. Had the tranny rebuilt around 95K, and he wants to dump it before the timing belt snaps.

So after that extensive list of things gone wrong, I COULD have asked, "WHY go back to the same manufacturer after such a bad experience?". BUT, sometimes it's better to shut up when someones mind is made. Anyhow, a few minutes later he asked about mine and that he heard from antoher neighbor that I'm on my 3rd LS, to which I answered "I just haven't had any issues with them and my previous one had 140K miles when I turned it in, issue-free and spotless maintenence book as well".

But did I recommend it to him...Hell no... I'll have to hear it for the next few years if something in it DID go wrong. I just stated if the Acura worked for him, and he was happy after his experience, then I don't see why not to stick to them.... Unlike family members, I rather not piss off a neighbor.