OAC News

otp

ok the union files a grievance what do you want them to do tell the company there going to shut them down, then we dont get paid some get fired so assholes like you will the blame the union again, the union is only as strong as its membership and until we start putting the blame on where it should be at the company, they will continue to attack and laugh noing idiots like you will blame the union, hey i dont agree witheverything thats going on, but i stand behind my union

"The union is only as strong as the membership". That is a fine slogan. What does it mean? The union is saying that they can't fight anything that the company wants to do. Isn't that a union's job? If the union can't do it's job, why do we need a union? How come the union was able to "win" such great wages and benefits in the past? Maybe we were well paid because that is how the company wanted it. After all, it was Henry Ford's theory or philosophy that the workers need to be well paid to stimulate the whole economy, and he more than doubled wages, without a union.

"The union is only as strong as the membership". That is a fine slogan. What does it mean? The union is saying that they can't fight anything that the company wants to do. Isn't that a union's job? If the union can't do it's job, why do we need a union? How come the union was able to "win" such great wages and benefits in the past? Maybe we were well paid because that is how the company wanted it. After all, it was Henry Ford's theory or philosophy that the workers need to be well paid to stimulate the whole economy, and he more than doubled wages, without a union.

thas simple, because back before solidarity meant solidarity, now its a me me mentality. Trimdingman youve been around along time have you ever seen brothers and sisters point there finger at each other as much as today and blame the union, like i said before i dont agree with everything but i know im glad the union is there, i have a great standard of living for what i do, all the negative things that have happened is because of the company not the union, the union didnt approach the company and say can we give this back. remember the old days trimdingman the company picks on someone we would all unite to help them, what happened now everyone points at each other, its sad

And what about family day

What about it?

Seems nothing has changed here. Still the same whiners. Still the same delusional no minds. All you who point fingers need a real wake up call! Quit your $34.00 an hour job and see how you make out on your own. Not an option? Then shut the fuck up!

Ed.

What about it?

Seems nothing has changed here. Still the same whiners. Still the same delusional no minds. All you who point fingers need a real wake up call! Quit your $34.00 an hour job and see how you make out on your own. Not an option? Then shut the fuck up!

Ed.

O the old the grass is browner on the other side arguement. Good one Edsel you stumped me :hysterical:

No let me guess, now you'll say something about how easy it is to stump a (insert derogatory name here) like me. :hysterical:

thas simple, because back before solidarity meant solidarity, now its a me me mentality. Trimdingman youve been around along time have you ever seen brothers and sisters point there finger at each other as much as today and blame the union, like i said before i dont agree with everything but i know im glad the union is there, i have a great standard of living for what i do, all the negative things that have happened is because of the company not the union, the union didnt approach the company and say can we give this back. remember the old days trimdingman the company picks on someone we would all unite to help them, what happened now everyone points at each other, its sad

The finger pointing has always been around, but the internet has allowed more people to point the finger anonymously.

ok the union files a grievance what do you want them to do tell the company there going to shut them down, then we dont get paid some get fired so assholes like you will the blame the union again, the union is only as strong as its membership and until we start putting the blame on where it should be at the company, they will continue to attack and laugh noing idiots like you will blame the union, hey i dont agree witheverything thats going on, but i stand behind my union

+1

+1

And the other famous quote by the union is "well we live to fight another day" Exactly when the @#$* is that day going to be?I'm not saying that the union should have said either you keep the same shutdown schedule or else,but you don't think they could have Bargained for some kind of bonus or something for scewing the members around after they already handed out the vacation forms and had people like me set up holidays already?Don't just say oh well we're going to arbitration on past practice.I'm sure you all know how that will end.As far as the company is concerned don't preach to me that i am lucky to have a job and to get paid the money i do,members with balls went on strike for these wages and benefits that we enjoy and all we have done lately is give back with NO fight,for that we should be ashamed.When the company keeps outsourcing our jobs to cheaper labour that is inside our plant i do have a problem with that and you should too, unless of course your dream is to work for 30 plus years on the assembly line.

Aloha I would learn to spell a bit better before you go around calling people idiot's.

The auto industry is a highly paid profession whether there is a union or not. It is crucial to have all of the jobs covered to run the lines. The jobs are mind-numbing and would be prone to even higher absentee levels than we see now if not for the incentive of high wages. We need to see past the ends of our noses. We are giving up our future. Premium jobs off the line should be a right for those who have put in say 25 years. This has been tossed into the trash can without a whimper. They are discriminating against older workers through the back door. The union's position has all along been that older workers should get out. They had an age limit of 65. This is highly discriminatory, and actually illegal to-day. Why are they mainly outsourcing jobs traditionally done by older workers? I think that a court case could be made. Remember, all you younger people. You will be old sooner than you think. When you retire, you are on a fixed income; no overtime. The present economic climate "out there" is very volatile. Peoples' pensions and life savings are being wiped out. It is a time for much consideration before taking the plunge. We are being pushed and shoved out the door by our union, the company, and fellow workers. The Baby Boomer generation has always been a force to be reckoned with. We will not stand by and allow ourselves to be discriminated against as we approach our later years.

Edited by Trimdingman

Aloha I would learn to spell a bit better before you go around calling people idiot's.

Most of us do not care about spelling and grammar as long as the intent is clear.

need a comma after Aloha and no apostrophe in idiots.

Now someone will probably correct my sentence.stats.gif

I was at the last meeting on Jan 17. Our union proposes saving money (our union dues) by eliminating voting tables for the next election? Too bad 'skilled' trades squashed that one.

The skilled trades were there en masse to stop another bylaw change to be railroaded through, the "voting table issue" was seperate.

And the table issue deserved to be voted down. Think about it. What do you think the turnout would be for a vote if the only voting station was say -- in the Body 2 cafeteria? Do you think members at the end of the final flattop are going to drive over to Body 2 to vote? Not likely. But that's what you're asking everyone in Paint, Body 1 and Body 2 to do by having the only polling station aon the dance floor in the main plant! You can't sustain an even remotely "democratic" process by making it more difficult for one group over another to vote.

And what about family day

Personally I'd be more concerned about things we lost than things we never had. I'd rather keep the paid week off between Christmas and New Years (that 80% of the working population doesn't get) than have a random day in February. But to each their own. Put in a suggestion for bargaining, no use complaining about it after this contract is signed. :unsure:

After all, it was Henry Ford's theory or philosophy that the workers need to be well paid to stimulate the whole economy, and he more than doubled wages, without a union.

While I admire many things about Henry Ford, lets not canonize him. He paid offered the $5 a day to (1) attract the most skilled workers, to (2) retain them to keep the plant efficiency high and reduce worker retraining, and to (3) KEEP THE UNION OUT (the same reason Toyota and Dofasco pays comparable wages to their unionized counterparts). As a condition of this you had to be open to have your life outside of work scrutinized by Ford's "Socialogical Department".

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ppennock/L-FiveDollarDay.htm

All of these points helped Ford's bottom line. The gains in efficiency on the plant floor outweighs the wage outlay. So good Ol'Henry's motives were not by any means altruistic.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

Tough talk, if you really think you can do better than run for office....things change when YOU are actually dealing with the company.

As far as the company having the right to run THEIR BUSINESS, you think thats bullshit????? Someone better be running it or all of us will be out of work. When that happens we can spend most of our time on the internet telling each other how tough and smart we were.

Ford seems to be doing something right lets hope they succeed and we get security.

LOL.You are either a brainwashed American corporate suckass, or a lazy skilled trades dogfucker telling other people to carry your dead weight.

People bitch about politicans without running for mayor. If people want to bitch about the useless pussy's in the union, this is the forum to do it. Don't like it charly? tuff shit. You and edsel don't work on the line day after day, I can guarntee you that. so shut the fuck up, or pm me and we can meet in the back parking lot at ice sports..and bring edsel (Kel).

While I admire many things about Henry Ford, lets not canonize him. He paid offered the $5 a day to (1) attract the most skilled workers, to (2) retain them to keep the plant efficiency high and reduce worker retraining, and to (3) KEEP THE UNION OUT (the same reason Toyota and Dofasco pays comparable wages to their unionized counterparts). As a condition of this you had to be open to have your life outside of work scrutinized by Ford's "Socialogical Department".

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ppennock/L-FiveDollarDay.htm

All of these points helped Ford's bottom line. The gains in efficiency on the plant floor outweighs the wage outlay. So good Ol'Henry's motives were not by any means altruistic.

I agree with all that you have said. Thank you for supporting my point with your last paragraph. "The gains in efficiency on the plant floor outweighs the wage outlay." When you have a system that is so efficient that wages paid to the worker become a miniscule part of the overall cost, there are many advantages to paying the workers high wages. New car buyers have to make high wages, so you have to set the example if you want to sell new cars to the public. Henry's original partners saw it differently and wanted cars to be luxury items for the rich. Ford envisioned a world awash in automobiles. Even without unions, auto workers would be paid high wages.

Edited by Trimdingman

<br />LOL.You are either a brainwashed American corporate suckass, or a lazy skilled trades dogfucker telling other people to carry your dead weight.<br /><br />People bitch about politicans without running for mayor. If people want to bitch about the useless pussy's in the union, this is the forum to do it. Don't like it charly? tuff shit. You and edsel don't work on the line day after day, I can guarntee you that. so shut the fuck up, or pm me and we can meet in the back parking lot at ice sports..and bring edsel (Kel).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Where did I say that I needed someone to carry my weight???

I don't just bitch on a forum, I actually try to make changes in the workplace. Do you really believe that comments made on this board have any impact on reality?

BTW, I put in 6 years on the line in trim.

<br /><br /><br />

Where did I say that I needed someone to carry my weight???

I don't just bitch on a forum, I actually try to make changes in the workplace. Do you really believe that comments made on this board have any impact on reality?

BTW, I put in 6 years on the line in trim.

I don't just bitch on a forum either,I take the union to task on any issue's that i have problems with.As far as putting in 6 years on the line in trim..good for you i put 14 years in and i'm sure our leadership probably put some time in on the line as well but they have forgotten what it 's like.The people on the line now for the most part will NEVER get off the line because our union leadership is selling us out to the highest bidder!

I don't just bitch on a forum either,I take the union to task on any issue's that i have problems with.As far as putting in 6 years on the line in trim..good for you i put 14 years in and i'm sure our leadership probably put some time in on the line as well but they have forgotten what it 's like.The people on the line now for the most part will NEVER get off the line because our union leadership is selling us out to the highest bidder!

I worked on the line for twenty odd years. Believe me; that is enough. Looking at the demographics, most people on the line now will never get off.

Automodular and Premier in Oakville exist because of jobs that were outsourced from OAC. These jobs pay a lot less than when we did them. Both Automodular and Premier workers are represented by the CAW. What does the CAW promise these workers? Do they promise them that they will get them more of our jobs? I know that they are not promising us that they will try to get our jobs back. The same union can't represent both sides. They are doing a bang-up job for Automodular and Premier, getting them wage increases, and more work, but not so much for us. Just as we separated from the UAW in 1984 largely because of a conflict of interest between us and American workers, and formed a Canadian union; it is time to part ways again with our union and get one that acts solely on our behalf.

If you see RE-ELECT on an election poster, read it as REJECT.

Automodular and Premier in Oakville exist because of jobs that were outsourced from OAC. These jobs pay a lot less than when we did them. Both Automodular and Premier workers are represented by the CAW. What does the CAW promise these workers? Do they promise them that they will get them more of our jobs? I know that they are not promising us that they will try to get our jobs back. The same union can't represent both sides. They are doing a bang-up job for Automodular and Premier, getting them wage increases, and more work, but not so much for us. Just as we separated from the UAW in 1984 largely because of a conflict of interest between us and American workers, and formed a Canadian union; it is time to part ways again with our union and get one that acts solely on our behalf.

God I hate myself again, you are making some sense. Charly please forgive me

why are u blaming the union, the membership ratified outsourcing the engine and dash line to get the investment to make our plant a world wide flexiable manufacturing plant by 90%, priemier of course was different when the membership rejected the agreement but was carried by the other plants. your not saying the membership is stupid are you, after all they are the ones who make the final decision? do you want the union to say no to everything or do you want them to make sure are plant is working and bring back the best possible deal for the membership to make the decision. again another member who has had the union holding their hand and wants to whine on his computer how bad they have it. this has been said before and needs to be repeated, if your life is that miserable working at ford...Quit..... know one is forcing you to be here, but we all know why you wont leave, is that youre not going to find a job making this kind of money, benefits, pension, ive been working at ford for 23 years and have seen alot of changes good and bad, but at the end of the day i bring home a good pay check to give my family a decent standard of living and looking forward to retire with a good pension

why are u blaming the union, the membership ratified outsourcing the engine and dash line to get the investment to make our plant a world wide flexiable manufacturing plant by 90%, priemier of course was different when the membership rejected the agreement but was carried by the other plants. your not saying the membership is stupid are you, after all they are the ones who make the final decision? do you want the union to say no to everything or do you want them to make sure are plant is working and bring back the best possible deal for the membership to make the decision. again another member who has had the union holding their hand and wants to whine on his computer how bad they have it. this has been said before and needs to be repeated, if your life is that miserable working at ford...Quit..... know one is forcing you to be here, but we all know why you wont leave, is that youre not going to find a job making this kind of money, benefits, pension, ive been working at ford for 23 years and have seen alot of changes good and bad, but at the end of the day i bring home a good pay check to give my family a decent standard of living and looking forward to retire with a good pension

Maybe the union sees how stupid we are, so they are joining the other side. The union is overseeing the dismantling of our employment. Maybe they see the writing on the wall and are working for their own survival. We need a union that will at least man the ramparts with us and fight so that at least if we go down, we go down in glory and with dignity. In retirement, we will be able to look our grand-children in the eye. As it stands now, we will be looked upon as a bunch of fat cats who priced ourselves out of the market. That is not how it is. We made good money because we lived through boom times. We also worked hard for every penny.

Ford US sales were up 43% in February. Market share was 17%. Ford of Canada is #1 in sales. There is no excuse for the company and the union to be continuing to out-source our jobs. They can't cry poverty any more.

We are like the defenders of the Alamo against Santa Anna's horde. Col. Travis draws a line in the sand and offers deserters the opportunity to leave. We all bravely step forward, but the union turns tail and joins the enemy.