• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like he's on track to set new lows in the market......

As 2009 opened, three weeks before Barack Obama took office, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 9034 on January 2, its highest level since the autumn panic. Yesterday the Dow fell another 4.24% to 6763, for an overall decline of 25% in two months and to its lowest level since 1997. The dismaying message here is that President Obama's policies have become part of the economy's problem.

LINK

Looks like he's on track to set new lows in the market......

As 2009 opened, three weeks before Barack Obama took office, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 9034 on January 2, its highest level since the autumn panic. Yesterday the Dow fell another 4.24% to 6763, for an overall decline of 25% in two months and to its lowest level since 1997. The dismaying message here is that President Obama's policies have become part of the economy's problem.

LINK

I have moved everything into an interst income fund. as the market crashes the interest rates will goo up.

Some obviously think it's better than having them in a basket with no bottom at all...

That's assuming it has no bottom, which is a rather absurd thought. I think the idea of interest funds in this climate is a sound move, but to put everything there? It's silly and unwise to be that concentrated in anything no matter what market conditions look like. Just my two cents (compounded daily). :shrug:

Well that's sure putting all your eggs in one basket, isn't it?

it's paying at plus 5% better than watching the stock market tank and losing money each time. last I heard it wont bottom until it hits between 3 and 5K. when it does I will get back in.

it's paying at plus 5% better than watching the stock market tank and losing money each time. last I heard it wont bottom until it hits between 3 and 5K. when it does I will get back in.

Last you heard, eh? Would love to peek into that crystal ball you have. :lol:

That's the same thing I did first half last year. Only lost 11% in 08, most everybody I work with had over 20% loss.

a banana republic by 2012? Change for the Worse

President Obama has presented the most irresponsible budget in US history. His fiscal year 2010 budget projects federal spending of $3.5 trillion and a federal deficit of $1.75 trillion. In other words, 50 percent of the government’s budget consists of red ink.

Sad to say but there is not much that looks positive anytime soon.

Which is fine with me really, from an investment standpoint. I'm years away from being able to tap into my 401K pentalty-free, so during all this downtime, I'm loadin' her up with stock on the cheap :shrug:

The people who are getting crushed by this right now are those who getting ready to retire.

Which is fine with me really, from an investment standpoint. I'm years away from being able to tap into my 401K pentalty-free, so during all this downtime, I'm loadin' her up with stock on the cheap :shrug:

The people who are getting crushed by this right now are those who getting ready to retire.

I'm in agreement with you on the market cycling in our favor, however we are going to be hobbled by severe taxation, in the coming years. And it won't be only the rich.

With the new energy policy (according to what I read yesterday), the expected increase in an American household's energy costs is an estimated $700-$1,400/year, as electricity prices skyrocket. That $13/week is already not enough.

Change for the worse. You can believe that!

I'm in agreement with you on the market cycling in our favor, however we are going to be hobbled by severe taxation, in the coming years. And it won't be only the rich.

With the new energy policy (according to what I read yesterday), the expected increase in an American household's energy costs is an estimated $700-$1,400/year, as electricity prices skyrocket. That $13/week is already not enough.

Change for the worse. You can believe that!

The nice thing about leadership in this country is that it too is cyclical. :shades:

The nice thing about leadership in this country is that it too is cyclical. :shades:

The problem with the leadership in this country, is that the amplitude of the cycle in increasing.

I'm not for complete, unregulated capitalism, however for some reason the current powers that be still hold the belief that government is always the answer. Unfortunately, they have the large portion of the population (who are net tax consumers) in their back pockets; looking for free houses, free healthcare, free everything just because they've been duped into thinking it's a right.

The problem with the leadership in this country, is that the amplitude of the cycle in increasing.

I'm not for complete, unregulated capitalism, however for some reason the current powers that be still hold the belief that government is always the answer. Unfortunately, they have the large portion of the population (who are net tax consumers) in their back pockets; looking for free houses, free healthcare, free everything just because they've been duped into thinking it's a right.

Very valid points all.

Just like the last 8 years people like yourself blamed Bush for everything since day 1. :finger::banghead::redcard:

What I'm trying to tell you is that the last 16 years. I noticed a real shift on where this country was headed and it started going to hell under Clinton and just continues on and on and on.

Well I got some news for you. Today is 1/20/2009. That means you can't blame everything that happens in this country on Bush anymore. NO MORE EXCUSES. Obama is not getting a free ride as far as I'm concerned either. I'll be waiting and watching how soon this country will get fucked up even worse. I was too young to remember the Carter disaster but I guess I'll start experiencing it first hand now.

Well I can say that we are almost 2 months into this nightmare and I can hereby declare the Obama Administration to be the worst of the 21st Century!

I understand that it is very difficult for conservatives these days. Frustration abounds. Who is the leader (de facto or not) of the GOP? One thing that is very clear is that there is an all-out effort to try and undermine what the current admin/Congress are trying to do to keep us from complete collapse. The interesting part of it all (the conservative line of economics-thinking) is their adherence to yesterday. Yes, I realize that that is the underlying current of a conservative –“to take things back to what they used to be”.

We can't go back to the old economy. That economy -- marked by booms and busts, Gilded Age of inequality brought on with the class warfare started by Reagan, declining wages, growing household debts, and unsustainable trade deficits -- didn't work very well for most Americans. Pres Obama is faced with the difficult task of creating the structure for the new economy even as he works to lift us out of the collapse of the old.

Apparently there are still many that have already forgotten what happened just last Sept, in that one week the former pres (and his GOP hopeful successor-McSame) espoused that the economy was fundamentally sound and within a few weeks – it became apparent that it was going to crash – and crash BIG – to the point that TARP had to be done to keep it even going – so that the banks, credit cards, debit cards and everything else didn’t just freeze up and completely collapse.

Unfortunately, in traditional GOP methodology, money was just throw out – without ANY semblance of how it was to be used, or where it was going, and transparency, or accounting. Hell, we even over-paid to the tune of $78Billion for “assets”. Most people just plain do not realize how close we came to complete paralysis – economic collapse.

Most also cannot see through the misinformation and deception of the GOP:

Just who are these net tax consumers? Let’s start with who (and where they were from) stood up and blasted the Stimulus bill. Who said that they wouldn’t take the money – as long as it had limitations on its use?

Who spoke after Obama’s speech to Congress last week? Why, it was Bobby Jindal, right? Jindal’s speech was full of fictional content. That whole anecdote about “Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine” was the very epitome of a Cajun story – a tale that his own staff had to confess within 48 hours – was totally made up. . . a complete lie.

Jindal also said, “We place our hope in you, the American people.” Not just once . . . he said it several times. On national television. He uttered a plea for help. And we all know that Louisiana, bastard child of the Republican party, cursed, scorned and left to die, needs help more than any other Red state.

Who else were stood up and “claimed” that the Stimulus was bogus--a disaster in waiting? Oh, let’s see they were from the Red States, weren’t they? Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, to mention just a few. Red States pride themselves on keeping their taxes low. It’s those Red States that suppress state and local taxes in order to encourage companies and rich folks to relocate to their states (but Alabama in essence spent $160,00 per job to get a transplant auto industry, Georgia almost as much, and I don’t have a figure for SO Carolina – but I’ll bet it was a bunch).

They keep a very unhealthy supply of low wage, under educated, uninsured workers so that there are plenty of maids, nannies, carpet mill workers, lawn care workers etc. This also allows the businesses to keep costs down so CEOs have lots of cash to bribe state officials. The side effect is rampant poverty, lack of health insurance, reduced tax base that leads to poor performing schools and other social ills that accompany wealth disparity. But in reality, they deal with the inevitable consequences of their broken business model, by taking more than their share from the federal government coffers.

That’s right. These conservative politicos from the Red States who don’t believe in big federal government – why they turn out to be from States that rake in more federal dollars than they give back in taxes. Well, it’s no wonder then why they are objecting so strenuously to the Stimulus Bill that is going to give some extra federal funds to the other states in this time of a deep recession. The Red states have worked hard to socially engineer misery so that they can make profit off of it. Could it just be that they do not want to share their good thing with those other States who have found themselves a victim of rising unemployment and poverty. They exploit the worst fears and lowest instincts by appealing to those who are uneducated and easily manipulated. It causes speculation as to the Confederacy's ultimate goal. Do they want to restore that traditional Confederate value, slavery?

Or, is it just a flashback to that old film Streetcar Named Desire where Ms. DuBois utters, “I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers”? Yeppers, it sure looks like those Red states sure do ‘preciate the kindness of the American people who give them all their hard earned tax money to help them out when they are in trouble---but don’t expect the same favor in return.

What am I talking about? Well, lets’ look at the numbers (the $ figure on the right show how much return states get on their tax investment. The higher the number, the more money the states are getting back from Washington –i.e., Mississippi gets back more of their “investment in the country in that they get a 100% return on their money):

Mississippi $2.02

New Mexico $2.00

Louisiana $1.85

Alaska $1.83

North Dakota $1.65

West Virginia $1.63

Alabama $1.63

Virginia $1.51

Oklahoma $1.35

South Carolina $1.35

Kentucky $1.51

South Dakota $1.48

Hawaii $1.43

Montana $1.43

Maine $1.41

Arkansas $1.40

Missouri $1.32

Maryland $1.30

Tennessee $1.29

Arizona $1.19

Idaho $1.19

Kansas $1.13

Nebraska $1.09

Iowa $1.09

Vermont $1.09

Wyoming $1.09

North Carolina $1.08

Pennsylvania $1.08

Utah $1.08

Indiana $1.07

Ohio $1.06

Georgia $1.03

Rhode Island $1.01

ALL of the other states do not get back as much as they put in. Florida and Texas (with their oil revenues and the lowest per capita taxes in the country) are the ONLY states in the south that do not receive more Federal dollars than they put in the kitty.

I don’t know about you, but this just does not seem to add up. Conservatives claim that Democrats are tax and spend liberals. They say that the Dems bleed hard working Americans dry and give the money to Welfare Queens in the inner city of Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc., etc. But Illinois only gets back 73 cents for every dollar they put in, NY gets back 82 cents, Michigan gets back 94 cents, Minnesota 73 cents, Wisc 88 cents, and Calif (the state that so many like to pick on – here on BON) gets back 80 cents. Looks like to me the Red States are the welfare queens of our country (other than, of course, corporate America).

So you guys can go on and rant your right wing BS over and over and over. You have that right – to express your feelings . . . even though Geo W and his cohorts were very close to rescinding the First Amendment . . . it is apparently still in force. I may suggest that you watch what happens though . . . because to keep your attitude as you may have to Avert your Eyes

20090303_Plante20090303.jpg

Razor, I think the part you are missing in most of this is that those of us who are here complaining about Obama are also pissed at what has become of the Republican party. We (at least I) have no home as far as political parties are concerned. They are ALL money-hungry, power-hungry, hypocritical frauds these days as far as I'm concerned. Those Republicans who claim to want small federal government are liars. The entire congress is full of imposters masquerading as people who care about their constituency. All they care about is money and power. The entire system needs a reboot.

Just who are these net tax consumers?

A net tax consumer is anyone who doesn't pay income taxes. Spout all your statistics you want about States. I'm talking individuals. I'm talking people who would be all too happy to have the government take (by force) that which someone has worked for and earned for themselves. That would be a significant portion of the Obama electorate.

You really don't like it when successful people make money do you? Especially if they make more than what you deem reasonable or fair. It's just not FAIR that so-and-so makes so much!

Like it or not, you need people like that. They're the ones paying full (up to the max) Social Security taxes, most of the income taxes, and a huge portion of the other payroll/property taxes so other people (maybe you?) can reap the rewards of society that were paid by someone else.

Save your responses for those who will listen. Once the party is over, the pain will be felt by everyone. But maybe that's the point. Spread the misery.

Edited by RangerM