John McCain bad for UAW jobs!

homerhero

"When Bush took office gas was 1.46"

When measured on an inflation-adjusted basis, the current price of gasoline is only slightly higher than it was in 1922. According to the Energy Information Administration, in 1922, a gallon of gasoline cost the current-day equivalent of $3.11. Today, according to the EIA, gasoline is selling for about $3.77 per gallon, only about 20% more than 86 years ago.

Nuke'em?.No.

Keep a peaceful presence in the middle east like in Germany and Korea(wich is what McCain meant by 100 years)Yes.Do you realize the costs involved in removing all these troops and equipment just to possibly need to take them back again.

What is that saying again..."Keep your friends close and your enemy's closer"?

Also,I have two sons in the navy and a son in law in the army.They love Visiting all these places we have a military presence.You get to defend your country and have an exciting time doing it.

My point in using the "When Bush took office gas was 1.46" was to remind people of a little history. When Bush was campaigning against Gore, one of his talking points was about Clinton letting the price of oil go so high. Check this out, sound familar...

NY Times 01/29/00 - Bush Says Gore Has Oil on His Own Shoes

At a campaign stop here today, Mr. Bush, a former oil executive himself and the recipient of $1.5 million in campaign contributions from the gas and oil industries, told reporters: ''My opponent is giving major oil companies a huge tax break. I believe a royalty moratorium ought to happen when the price declines. We ought not to have moratoriums when the prices are high.''

If only Bush would take his own suggestions...

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for it either, but McCain's plan does nothing for the millions of Americans who don't have insurance, and would stick you personally with a big tax bill. That's right, Fatso, old buddy - it would stick YOU with the bill. Ending the tax exemption on employer paid health care means it becomes ordinary taxable income to the employee. With the quality of the coverage Ford has for you, that means you get to pay income tax on another $12,000 to $15,000 a year. Undoubtedly the UAW and the rank-and-file would fight like hell to keep the Ford (and GM and Chrysler) paid system in place, tax consequences or not, but the rest of the middle class runs the risk of being shafted.

If this November's choice is between that, or someone else whose proposals might eventually lead to Universal Health Care, then like I've previously posted - it's a no-brainer. McCain does not get my vote, nor should he get anyone else's in the middle class. You're absolutely right that Government isn't the most efficient way to deliver any service, but for health care, it's given John McCain top-notch health care his entire life, from the time he was born son of a Navy Admiral, to the present. It's good enough for him (and now he's married to a rich lady), but the rest of us can go suck swamp water? I don't think so.

Apparently you forgot about McCains 5,000 exemption?

If you believe the McCain plan will cost you more than the Obama plan then you probably believe in the tooth fairy also.

The centerpiece of Obama's plan relies on a $2500 savings per family by eliminating unnecessary medical procedures etc... at the same time insuring most of the 47 million uninsured... and all we have to do is get the richest 1% to leave their money sitting around to pay for it... yeah right.

The biggest problem I have with Obama's Plan is it will encourage US companies to continue to move offshore even faster than they are now because it does nothing to take the burden of health care off the employers. As long as employers have a choice to either continue to pay you benefits or move out of the country which do you think they will choose. If you expect US companies offering benefits to compete with imports offering none and paying low wages then you're dreaming.

Lastly, no universal health care plan tried anywhere has cost anywhere near as little as the proponents claimed it would.

Add this to Obama's energy plan (if you call it that) and I see it as a double whammy that will put the US automakers out of business.

Edited by mulewright

If you believe the McCain plan will cost you more than the Obama plan then you probably believe in the tooth fairy also.

The centerpiece of Obama's plan relies on a $2500 savings per family by eliminating unnecessary medical procedures etc... at the same time insuring most of the 47 million uninsured... and all we have to do is get the richest 1% to leave their money sitting around to pay for it... yeah right.

The biggest problem I have with Obama's Plan is it will encourage US companies to continue to move offshore even faster than they are now because it does nothing to take the burden of health care off the employers. As long as employers have a choice to either continue to pay you benefits or move out of the country which do you think they will choose. If you expect US companies offering benefits to compete with imports offering none and paying low wages then you're dreaming.

Lastly, no universal health care plan tried anywhere has cost anywhere near as little as the proponents claimed it would.

Although a National Health care plan sounds good we need to check out Canada where one already exists. From what I have read care is hard to get, you wait literally months even if you have a serious disease. Is this what we want? I certainly don't! We need the government to get a handle on medical care costs and help everyone to to find affordable health plans. I don't want my government deciding if I need to go to the doctor and if so when, do you????

The only idiocy I see is your moronic, piece of sh*t post, which is among the most laughable piece of white trash produced garbage I've ever seen anyone be silly enough to post.

I don't have to defend anything that's taken out context. Anyone can take anything out of context.

I'll give John McCain lots of credit for denouncing this kind of political mudslinging. Link Here: McCain denounces anti-Obama remarks, use of Dem’s middle name and Link Here: McCain uncomfortable with TN GOP anti-Obama release - good video here, in John McCain's own words.

The next time you want to post some more brain-dead-diarrhea-of-the-mouth, do yourself a favor, and try to find something that your own preferred candidate hasn't, time and again, denounced.

Say what you will, call me what you want. I'm as thick skinned as they come. sorry....

I do not agree with everything that is said in the video. Comparing him to Bin Laden is wrong.

But, lets bottom line it. Are these or are these not Obama's own words? I love the whole taken out of context. IT IS WHAT He FREAKING SAID DIPSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is just that. I'll just take ONE of his many comments. To say "she acts like a typical white women" is a racist comment. If he was white and said typical black anything, he would not even be allowed to run. Somebody call me a liar. Equal should me just that.

Look, I understand and respect that fact that black people would like to say there has been a black president. The PROBLEM is, it should matter WHO the black person is and what he stands for instead of just the fact that he is black.

Judge a man by the content of his character right? That is all I'm doing.

This joke is not right for this country, bottom line. Yes, I guess you could say McCain is my perferred candidate over obama. That in turn, does not make me a big fan of McCain, but between these two, you bet he gets my vote. It is more of a vote AGAINST Obama than it is a vote for McCain.............

Edited by texas30

Although a National Health care plan sounds good we need to check out Canada where one already exists. From what I have read care is hard to get, you wait literally months even if you have a serious disease. Is this what we want? I certainly don't! We need the government to get a handle on medical care costs and help everyone to to find affordable health plans. I don't want my government deciding if I need to go to the doctor and if so when, do you????

Couldn't be that long of a wait. Canada's average life expectancy is about 3 years higher than here in the US.

Couldn't be that long of a wait. Canada's average life expectancy is about 3 years higher than here in the US.

Come on! You know that there are Many other reasons for that. Just check it out. I have heard it alot, and am just sharing. Research it. I want control of my own health care regardless of price. The government is in my business Way Too Much as it is.

My point in using the "When Bush took office gas was 1.46" was to remind people of a little history. When Bush was campaigning against Gore, one of his talking points was about Clinton letting the price of oil go so high. Check this out, sound familar...

NY Times 01/29/00 - Bush Says Gore Has Oil on His Own Shoes

If only Bush would take his own suggestions...

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

Well... when Lincoln took office, the nation was a peace..... While he was in office, he presided over the highest fatality rate this nation ever experienced. It took years before his policies took root.

A short term observations will always yield short sighted views. :shades:

I agree, Canada and England have socialized medicine and both reduce cost by having government bureaucrats decide who gets treated and when. Frances system works a little better in at least you get to decide what treatment you will have and where you will have it. It is also the most expensive in Europe and French are traditionally a little healthier than us even before NHC.

The fact is if you work at Ford you will see your health care benefits reduced under a universal health care system and you will pay a lot for the privilege.

Add this to Obama's energy plan (if you call it that) and I see it as a double whammy that will put the US automakers out of business.

McCain's plan takes it off the employer's back and put's it on the backs of the workers. It's as bad as the givebacks forced on autoworkers, hourly and salaried alike, except it's on a national level. I already posted what I think about McCain's $5000 - it's indeaxed to the CPI, which is half to one third the rate of increase in helath insurance. Which means that we're behind the f***ing eight ball after the very first year. Great plan.

McCain is no friend to US automakers, and in fact is less tolerant toward the Detroit automakers on CAFE and emissions than Obama. McCain openly supports states rights to set their own emissions regulations. At least Obama has said with the right federal standard, California and New England separate regs are not necessary. McCain comes to Detroit, uses GM for a photo op, and then manages to piss of Rick Waggoner and Bob Lutz with his bullshit talk of supporting states rights to establish their own emmissions standards. Obama's energy plan is bad for Detroit?What the hell is a dozen states setting up their own, and nearly technologically impossible standards on top of trying to meet the federal EPA and CAFE standards??? (Link Here )

Having pledged last month to back a plan for nation-wide emissions standards for the car industry, presumptive U.S. presidential nominee John McCain today reversed his stance when he told a group gathered for a town hall meeting that he supports individual state-set emissions standards.

Choosing to make such a statement in front of a room full of General Motors engineers is an odd thing to do.

The carmakers have been among the most vocal proponents of a national emissions scheme, arguing that compliance with a patchwork of state-by-state programs inflates costs into the billions of dollars. A single, coherent standard would be more manageable, they say.

Nevertheless, the statement made by McCain is clear in its intent, if somewhat soft in its formation. "I guess at the end of the day, I support the states being able to do that," indicating the independent determination of state-by-state emissions standards, reports The Detroit News. The new stance is one that favors States' rights, a position not incongruent with much of the rest of McCain's ideological platform, but in direct opposition to his pledge of overriding federal standards.

Plus don't forget that Bob Lutz came out in favor of universal health care two years ago when Bush managed to piss Detroit (again, and again, and again...), and in fact threatened to support Hillary Clinton. Or has everyone's memory come up short on that one.

Last, middle class Americans should stop being mouth pieces for wealthy Americans who could give a damn about the majority of us. Don't forget that both the ranking Democrat and the ranking Republican on the Senate banking committee, Sen. Carl Levin and Republican Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota estimated that the tax evasion is costing American taxpayers over $100 billion a year, tax that should be paid on taxable accounts of $1.54 trillion, being hidden overseas. And that's based on the testimony of a former UBS vice president who turn ed states evidence. Which resulted in the Swiss government banning Swiss bankers from traveling to the U.S., for fear that they will get subpoenaed. Already one clown cut a deal and paid the government the $50 million he owed. The crooked bastards are ripping off all of us, and yet we have "conservative" blue collar and white collar autoworkers speaking out on behalf of the wealthy. Real smart. Just as a point of education, progressive income tax exists because the wealthy can afford to pay more without crimping their lifestyle, which, if any of you "conservatives" bothered to pay attention, is Warren Buffet's point.

Edited by Len_A

Say what you will, call me what you want. I'm as thick skinned as they come. sorry....

I do not agree with everything that is said in the video. Comparing him to Bin Laden is wrong.

But, lets bottom line it. Are these or are these not Obama's own words? I love the whole taken out of context. IT IS WHAT He FREAKING SAID DIPSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is just that. I'll just take ONE of his many comments. To say "she acts like a typical white women" is a racist comment. If he was white and said typical black anything, he would not even be allowed to run. Somebody call me a liar. Equal should me just that.

Look, I understand and respect that fact that black people would like to say there has been a black president. The PROBLEM is, it should matter WHO the black person is and what he stands for instead of just the fact that he is black.

Judge a man by the content of his character right? That is all I'm doing.

This joke is not right for this country, bottom line. Yes, I guess you could say McCain is my perferred candidate over obama. That in turn, does not make me a big fan of McCain, but between these two, you bet he gets my vote. It is more of a vote AGAINST Obama than it is a vote for McCain.............

I don't care if the black community wants to elect a black president. I'm not part of that community - just because I referred to that video as white trash produced drivel doesn't mean I'm not white. I could care less what Obama's skin color is, although anything he does that pisses off Jesse Jackson makes me very happy, especially when Jackson carps about Obama "takin' down to n*******. Makes (Jackson) wanna cut his (Obama's) nuts off". Hey, Jesse, how do you like being publicly told to keep your opinions to yourself...by your own son, you dumb mother*******? . I may have turned my politics left-of-center, but the "we's always the victims of society" crap makes me ill. Guess that's one of the things I like about Obama - he has, more than once, let that community know that playing the victim card isn't going to cut it anymore, and taking personal responsibility for your own actions is expected. Nothing that Promise Keepers wasn't promoting twelve years ago.

I wasn't an Obama supporter from the beginning - I was for Edwards first, Clinton second. I'll be God damned if I'll ever support the GOP ever again, and that includes McCain, who I voted for in the 2000 primaries, and for Bush, who I voted for in November, 2000, thinking that Gore would have been a disaster for the auto industry. Ah, yea...right. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. GOP, including McCain, supporting commodity traders who are responsible for at least $30 a barrel in the price of oil, taking 850 million barrels of oil off the market to drive the price up, and I'm supposed to support McCain because of what Obama says? Like hell. And then I'm supposed to vote for a guy who wants to torpedo the employer based health care system, and has publicly admitted that those people with "overly generous plans" (his words, and that means guys like you, buckwheat) will get penalized under his proposal?

I'm done like dinner with conservatives, neoconservatives, and the GOP. A degree, over two decades of experience and verifiable accomplishments, and eleven months of unemployment and still counting, with key members of the GOP saying unemployment insurance payments make people lazy, and McCain says nothing? Like fuck I'll vote for the Republicans. You might say my vote is more against the GOP, but it comes down to the fact that I'll vote for any Democrat over damn near any Republican.

I'm a dipshit? Works for me. After decades of the GOP conservatives and neoconservatives lying to us, I'm ready to vote for my neighbor's kindergartner for President, as long as she ran as a Democrat.

but it comes down to the fact that I'll vote for any Democrat over damn near any Republican.

And most of the time, so will I. Just not in this case. I view Obama & Jackson the same.

I guess we'll cancel each other out.

Also keep in mind we have a Democratic controlled congress, who is as much (and in some ways more) to blame than Bush.

Take care..................................

I agree, Canada and England have socialized medicine and both reduce cost by having government bureaucrats decide who gets treated and when. Frances system works a little better in at least you get to decide what treatment you will have and where you will have it. It is also the most expensive in Europe and French are traditionally a little healthier than us even before NHC.

The fact is if you work at Ford you will see your health care benefits reduced under a universal health care system and you will pay a lot for the privilege.

Soon enough Ford probably won't even bother to offer health benefits, what then? Pay Cobra premiums?

I always enjoy when a person says they will never vote for a republican or a democrat and then tries to justify their reasoning by eliminating 50% of their options. Looking at any party line voters or organizations that only endorse the same party candidate again and again defies logic. The probability of being correct 100% of the time only endorsing the same party or party line voting is statistically impossible. Everyone is entitled to vote for whomever they want and all the bantering back and forth makes for some interesting reading. This thread should be bookmarked and about 2 years from now read it from start to finish then we should be better able to say who was full of shit.

The video of Obama does raise some valid questions about his character or lack of one and it was all compiled from public footage. When you run for public office your under the microscope. With Obama a blind guy can see something is not right.

Edited by cal50

Pick your battles: If you want smaller government, you need to find legislators that will start introducing bills that reduce the size of government. And you certainly want to oppose the ones that propose to add to the size of government. Politics is the art of the possible. What reforms are possible, that is can actually pass the house and senate and get signed into law by the president?

There are about 50 people like this running across the nation. That is what took me a while to understand. I was "Gung Ho" late last year and then Ima explained that to me.

McCain's plan takes it off the employer's back and put's it on the backs of the workers. It's as bad as the givebacks forced on autoworkers, hourly and salaried alike, except it's on a national level. I already posted what I think about McCain's $5000 - it's indeaxed to the CPI, which is half to one third the rate of increase in helath insurance. Which means that we're behind the f***ing eight ball after the very first year. Great plan.

[/url] )

Real smart. Just as a point of education, progressive income tax exists because the wealthy can afford to pay more without crimping their lifestyle, which, if any of you "conservatives" bothered to pay attention, is Warren Buffet's point.

Both candidates plans rely on cutting costs to make them work, the difference is McCains plan cuts costs first, Obama's plan extends coverage to everyone then cuts costs by watering down coverage and finally raises taxes to pay for it. I'm not crazy about McCains plan but you'd have to be a fool to believe Obama's scheme will work without a massive tax increase and it will take more than just taxing the rich.

Len A, you're not a Ford employee anymore so I'm sure you have different reasons for wanting socialized medicine.

The federal tax code is already progressive 10% -37.9% and tax reciepts have gone up every time they cut taxes. So, you think hitting the rich with a higher tax rate but collecting less money is a good idea?

The super rich, Warren Buffet, George Soros etc... seem to have a tendency to turn socialist in their old age and like to give money away, unfortunately they seem to prefer giving other folks money away.

Edited by mulewright

Well... when Lincoln took office, the nation was a peace..... While he was in office, he presided over the highest fatality rate this nation ever experienced. It took years before his policies took root.

A short term observations will always yield short sighted views. :shades:

What does Lincoln & the Civil War have to do with Bush being a hypocrite about who controls oil & gas prices?

I don't have to defend anything that's taken out context. Anyone can take anything out of context.

In what context is it appropriate for a presidential candidate to stand with his hands by his side during the national anthem?

Sure it's a political season hit piece but these "are" Obama's words and actions. If the republicans ever take the kid gloves off Obama's given them a lot of material.

Len A, you're not a Ford employee anymore so I'm sure you have different reasons for wanting socialized medicine.

Yea, it's called being out of work nearly a year, and the wife's job being dependant on Chrysler's continued existance. We're the only "wealthy" industrialized nation that doesn't have universal health care.

McCain is no friend to US automakers, and in fact is less tolerant toward the Detroit automakers on CAFE and emissions than Obama. McCain openly supports states rights to set their own emissions regulations. At least Obama has said with the right federal standard, California and New England separate regs are not necessary. McCain comes to Detroit, uses GM for a photo op, and then manages to piss of Rick Waggoner and Bob Lutz with his bullshit talk of supporting states rights to establish their own emmissions standards. Obama's energy plan is bad for Detroit?What the hell is a dozen states setting up their own, and nearly technologically impossible standards on top of trying to meet the federal EPA and CAFÉ standards??? (Link Here )

Plus don't forget that Bob Lutz came out in favor of universal health care two years ago when Bush managed to piss Detroit (again, and again, and again...), and in fact threatened to support Hillary Clinton. Or has everyone's memory come up short on that one.

Last, middle class Americans should stop being mouth pieces for wealthy Americans who could give a damn about the majority of us. Don't forget that both the ranking Democrat and the ranking Republican on the Senate banking committee, Sen. Carl Levin and Republican Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota estimated that the tax evasion is costing American taxpayers over $100 billion a year, tax that should be paid on taxable accounts of $1.54 trillion, being hidden overseas. And that's based on the testimony of a former UBS vice president who turn ed states evidence. Which resulted in the Swiss government banning Swiss bankers from traveling to the U.S., for fear that they will get subpoenaed. Already one clown cut a deal and paid the government the $50 million he owed. The crooked bastards are ripping off all of us, and yet we have "conservative" blue collar and white collar autoworkers speaking out on behalf of the wealthy. Real smart. Just as a point of education, progressive income tax exists because the wealthy can afford to pay more without crimping their lifestyle, which, if any of you "conservatives" bothered to pay attention, is Warren Buffet's point.

If all manufactures have to play by the same rules.... How is it unfair to the Big 3?

Each State should be able regulate its air quality.

If all manufactures have to play by the same rules.... How is it unfair to the Big 3?

Each State should be able regulate its air quality.

All would be playing by the same rules, so it's unfair to them as well. It's worse for the Detroit automakers because they still have some costs that are not in line with the transplants yet, and in the case of the workers still qualified for or retired and collecting a defined benefit pension, they will continue having these higher costs until those employees die off.

No, each state shouldn't be able to regulate it's air quality. Whether it's Ford, or BMW, GM or Toyota, it's an extravagant expense to have fifty different emissions standards; it's bad enough that we already have two in the USA - the federal standard and then the California/New England standard. If it were up to the Detroit automakers, and their overseas counterparts, there would be one emission standard to meet.

Edited by Len_A

I'll answer this even further, even though I'm repeating things I already posted. I'm pushing fifty, and have just enough annoying little "preexisting conditions" to make it difficult to get insurance on my own if I needed to. To make things worse, in eleven of the past fifteen in-person or telephone interviews I've had, one of the first five questions was "Do you need health insurance?" which in each case came after "What starting salary are you looking for?"

My age, under this wonderful system everyone seems to be so fucking supportive of, is stacked against me, and making it more expensive to hire me, not because of salary expectations, but because health insurance for me cost more. Of the eleven that asked me if I needed health insurance, when I told each of them that I was covered under my wife's, seven of the bastards openly asked what the chances were that she would get laid off or want to quit for a new job, stating that then I might need insurance then, even if I answered "no" right now.

I know - I kept this information in my interview notes. Want to put yourself in my shoes and try justify your current beliefs?

All would be playing by the same rules, so it's unfair to them as well. It's worse for the Detroit automakers because they still have some costs that are not in line with the transplants yet, and in the case of the workers still qualified for or retired and collecting a defined benefit pension, they will continue having these higher costs until those employees die off.

No, each state shouldn't be able to regulate it's air quality. Whether it's Ford, or BMW, GM or Toyota, it's an extravagant expense to have fifty different emissions standards; it's bad enough that we already have two in teh USA - the federal standard and then the California/New England standard. If it were up to the Detroit automakers, and their overseas counterparts, there would be one emission standard to meet.

If a State (California) was to have a standard that exceeds all cars in production..... The State wouldn't have any cars :shades: ... As such, they would have to lower the air quality standard.