Chevy Plans U.S. Subcompact by 2011

Chevy plans new U.S. subcompact by '11

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

July 28, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — By 2011, Chevrolet will get a version of one of the three minicar concepts that General Motors unveiled at the 2007 New York auto show, company executives say.

The vehicle, expected to replace the Aveo, will be expanded to the size of a subcompact.

In April 2007, GM unveiled the Groove, Beat and Trax minicars in New York. In November, GM said it will build and sell the Beat overseas, with production starting in 2009. But the automaker has said it will not sell the Beat in the United States.

Now, GM says the United States will get a version of the Groove or Trax by 2011.

"Of the triplets, we will get one of those variants," says Ed Peper, Chevrolet's vice president. Which one? "I don't want to say at this point."

The vehicle that Chevrolet gets will be "very similar to one of those vehicles" but larger, in part to meet U.S. crash test standards, Peper says. For example, the front fender and grille likely will be extended to meet U.S. safety standards.

The car will come to Chevrolet "in the next couple of years," Peper says.

GM global design chief Ed Welburn says the company has designed the new small car to be more stylish than the current Aveo. Welburn says the name of the vehicle hasn't been decided.

GM will build the Beat on the company's global minicar platform in Shanghai. The unnamed subcompact intended for the United States will be built on GM's Gamma global small-car platform. Sources familiar with the project say GM likely will assemble the new car at its plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Chevrolet has said it will replace the Cobalt compact with the new Cruze compact in the 2011 model year.

"We're looking at all opportunities when it comes to small cars and small utilities," Peper says. "The market is very hot right now for small, fuel-efficient vehicles."

Will this be a competitor for the Fiesta? Or is this an A chassis? If it's an A chassis, wouldn't this make the chances of us getting the Ka that much better? I can't imagine Ford will cede any small car sales to GM now that Mullaly has set the new plan in action. Thoughts?

Will this be a competitor for the Fiesta? Or is this an A chassis? If it's an A chassis, wouldn't this make the chances of us getting the Ka that much better? I can't imagine Ford will cede any small car sales to GM now that Mullaly has set the new plan in action. Thoughts?

yes theoretically, but if they are talking about it as Aveo replacement - they are making it a B-car - not an A-car.

With Fiat 500 being assembled here .. I am very VERY hopeful Ford pushes the right buttons and 1) gets Fiat to lease one of Ford's plant for that and 2) assembles a few Ka's alongside the 500 .. for US sales

Igor

So if it's a B car, I guess we could read this announcement as a GM reaction to the Fiesta.

Regarding the 500/Ka idea, isn't Fiat teaming up with BMW? Or does that only apply to future product? I thought I had read somewhere that there was speculation that the next gen 500 and MINI might share a chassis...

PS: Glad you're back! I started a thread a few days ago inquiring about your well being.

Edited by Harley Lover

Geez, cant people read? Says "expected to replace the Aveo, will be expanded to the size of a subcompact."

Where does it say "A chassis"?

Why the hostility? I didn't rush to see which chassis the Aveo rides on. And, I like getting informed replies on the board. No need to lose it over such a small thing.

Edited by Harley Lover

So if it's a B car, I guess we could read this announcement as a GM reaction to the Fiesta.

Regarding the 500/Ka idea, isn't Fiat teaming up with BMW? Or does that only apply to future product? I thought I had read somewhere that there was speculation that the next gen 500 and MINI might share a chassis...

PS: Glad you're back! I started a thread a few days ago inquiring about your well being.

500usa-16.jpg

I thought the Mini, Fiat & baby Alfa Romeo Mito were going to build some 100 MPG Fuel miser busters Stateside?

It will be nice to see the little RWD cars blow FWD cars ecoboxes out the fuel miser game

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...el_busters.html

car_photo_273921_25.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

500usa-16.jpg

I thought the Mini, Fiat & baby Alfa Romeo Mito were going to build some 100 MPG Fuel miser busters Stateside?

It will be nice to see the little RWD cars blow FWD cars ecoboxes out the fuel miser game

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...el_busters.html

car_photo_273921_25.jpg

You know, usually I am not a big fan (really I generally hate them) of hatchbacks, etc. but that little Fiat 500 doesn't look bad at all to me.

And it looks like that BMW rendering is taking inspiration from the Flex Limited's (and F-150 Platinum's) rear liftgate/tailgate.

You know, usually I am not a big fan (really I generally hate them) of hatchbacks, etc. but that little Fiat 500 doesn't look bad at all to me.

And it looks like that BMW rendering is taking inspiration from the Flex Limited's (and F-150 Platinum's) rear liftgate/tailgate.

The whole market in Europe is shifting slowly but surely to these micro cars even though most folk still prefer the bigger Golf, 207 and Focus as their prefered car.

I had a close look at a parked Fiat 500 close to my home they do have the potential to be the next VW Beetle in terms of all time sales success, the one thing that will let it down might be its reliability Fiats have a poor record but it looks even better in reality than in a photo.

BMW double might own this market if the price is right as there are a lot of keep up with the Jones badge buyers out there the 3 series owns the Mondeo market in Europe, still both the Fiat and BMW despite returning 100 MPG would be to small for me ever to consider.

My wife wants a new Peugeot 207 and she won't budge to a Ford she also thinks the Fiat 500 is to small, l showed a photo of the new Fiesta her comment was it looks the same a boring Focus. l shall try to buy a new Ranger just as Ford ends production of it to grab a bargain price but l don't really want or need a pick-up and they are expensive to own it will have to run on LPG, but l like RWD and Ford don't make a RWD car or a FWD car that l find remotely interesting so l will be the only guy with a pick-up in our neigbourhood as pick-ups are as rare as rocking horse stools in the UK, if Ford only sold the Mustang in Europe l would pay cash for one today.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

God I hope so. Would you please stop posting pictures of that fugly thing or I'm going to start editing them out of your posts. :lol:

Do what you want Nick it won't bother me l will still only love and buy Fords, whats happened to the "The land of the free" its becoming more like the Soviet Republic every day. :lol: