Cadillac DTS/STS Replacement Cancelled

wescoent

Over at GMI, there's word from a Cadillac insider that the Zeta-based replacement large sedan for the Cadillac STS and DTS has been cancelled. Instead, Cadillac division managers have approved a refresh and 3.6L V6 engine for the G-Body Cadillac DTS, which will continue production through 2014. Northstar V8 is being dropped.

What the heck is going on over at Cadillac?

Over at GMI, there's word from a Cadillac insider that the Zeta-based replacement large sedan for the Cadillac STS and DTS has been cancelled. Instead, Cadillac division managers have approved a refresh and 3.6L V6 engine for the G-Body Cadillac DTS, which will continue production through 2014. Northstar V8 is being dropped.

What the heck is going on over at Cadillac?

GM's been caught out of position with their pants around their ankles and no large car replacement. They put all their eggs in one basket a couple of years back and ended their larger RWD sedan program in favor of rushing these fugly design ripoffs called the Silverado and Sierra to production a few months sooner and now that the buying market is fleeing the other direction to cars, well here they are with an all new Malibu and a redundant ancient WImpala with no replacement. Same goes for Caddy.

The whole Zeta thing has been one huge disappointment. The dangled all kinds of prospects in front of us like a heritage-inspired Impala, a Buick Velite-styled vehicle, full-size Cadillac, etc., only to backtrack on everything that was promised. GM blew money on the wrong vehicles at the wrong time. I can't believe the W- and G-bodies are living on past 2012...Christ almighty. GM lost so many people when they killed established names like Grand Am, Bonneville, Park Avenue, and Oldsmobile...and now they're losing even more by eliminating segments they used to dominate. No more full-size Caddy with a V8? How the times and fortunes at General Motors have changed...

I really want to root for GM, but they have basically killed off 85% of everything I was looking forward to.

The whole Zeta thing has been one huge disappointment. The dangled all kinds of prospects in front of us like a heritage-inspired Impala, a Buick Velite-styled vehicle, full-size Cadillac, etc., only to backtrack on everything that was promised. GM blew money on the wrong vehicles at the wrong time. I can't believe the W- and G-bodies are living on past 2012...Christ almighty. GM lost so many people when they killed established names like Grand Am, Bonneville, Park Avenue, and Oldsmobile...and now they're losing even more by eliminating segments they used to dominate. No more full-size Caddy with a V8? How the times and fortunes at General Motors have changed...

I really want to root for GM, but they have basically killed off 85% of everything I was looking forward to.

Great post! Big +1 on the GM name change game. Fullsize Caddy with V8 at GM died in 1996 as far as I'm concerned. :banghead:

Well so much for any hope of what looked to be a Caddilac resurgence just a few years back and to add insult the new SRX replacement is a front wheel drive platform also. Lutz and Wagoneer are dumb and dumber over at GM running that shit show, I wonder how Lutz feels about that prediction of american's not changing buying habits until we reach Europeon like levels for fuel?

Edited by 94bronco

RJ called this one so right. He has stated, for a long time now, that Cadillac was a one hit wonder.............. and it is looking like he nailed it.

They spent billions and billions on Cadillac................ for this.

It really makes Fords management of Lincoln look smart by comparison.

"I really want to root for GM, but they have basically killed off 85% of everything I was looking forward to."

Yeah but were you going to BUY these cars? GM has to make relavant cars to sell to paying customers, not make Auto Show stars for gear heads who think 97 cents gas will return 'any day now'.

Go to growing cities in the Sun Belt and they couldnt care less about old Bonneviles, 98's and Park Aves. Those seen are only in retirement villages, and if one looks closer, more Camrys and Avalons are sold to 'loyal older buyers'.

The Zeta is a dead end, 35 MPG CAFE is the law now, and 14 mpg 'retro-mobiles' to make fans 'feel good' wont sell, like the Mopar LX cars, which are selling poorly now.

Edited by 630land

The Zeta is a dead end, 35 MPG CAFE is the law now, and 14 mpg 'retro-mobiles' to make fans 'feel good' wont sell, like the Mopar LX cars, which are selling poorly now.

Yeah, Lutz and GM pinned their hopes on V8 RWD but large RWD is not necessarily dead,

there is at least one Holden 2.0 DI Turbo zeta mule in Melbourne that's very promising.

Word is for 2011, zeta and sigma (Cadillac) are being combined as one lighter platform.

Also, FoA is looking at 2.5 Ecoboost for future Falcon, interesting times ahead.:)