Vibe discontinued, will Yoda discon matrix?

foxrun

This is a pretty surprising development and a true testament to GM's unbelievably bad perception.

In my area there are plenty of Matrixes, but almost no Vibes. I was even recommending a friend to check out the Vibe (he was looking at the Matrix but didn't like the price), even though it was the exact same vehicle internally he said he didn't like the interior and didn't want to buy a GM. Ouch.

This is why GM is going to go out of business eventually. When people won't even buy a car with your name on it even though it's built in the same plant and sold almost identically as a Toyota, because they don't want to go to your dealers and have been burned so badly before...well... you're in deep trouble.

They're only discontinuing the AWD and GT model as these are both low selling models. In this sales climate Pontiac can't sell a high performance 4wd crossover and Subaru makes a living at it?

Sad, really.

Edited by bec5150

They are also built at differenct plants - the Vibe in California, and the Matrix at the Toyota plant in Ontario.

They are keeping the base model Vibe - wife and I have also looked at a Vibe, and the GT and AWD are too expensive, as well as the engine in the GT is a high revving engine that doesn't do well with an automatic.

Yep - love those slow selling models and the big discounts.

I'm just entertaining her while I try to drag out buying a new car as long as possible - hopefully she'll get pregnant and we can drop the issue entirely, and I can use the cash I have for the car to buy some bare land for future use.

Either that, or show her what crap is available for the same price as another Grand Marquis, and we can be a two Grand Marquis family again. My L/M has a standing offer to sell me a new GM at invoice less all rebates, which for current GM owners is $6,500. That means a GS Convenience for around $18,000, which puts you into territory of comparing it to a buzzy little crackerboxes like the Vibe.

Hence, my devious plan exposed. B)

Edited by taxman100

• 5 weeks later...

I rented the Vibe and drove it halfway across Washington state and back.

Problems with the Vibe:

- Underpowered

- Odd blind spots in the front and rear

- To make it worse: tiny side mirrors

- And, very little zest in the driving experience, although the steering was fairly tight

Good things about the Vibe:

- Comfortable seating

- Great stock stereo system (other people complimented it)

- Nice instrumentation

- It actually looks good, IMHO

But, I made a decision right there and then that I wouldn't buy one of these, especially due to the visibility factor - and I'm 5'11.

I rented the Vibe and drove it halfway across Washington state and back.

Problems with the Vibe:

- Underpowered

- Odd blind spots in the front and rear

- To make it worse: tiny side mirrors

- And, very little zest in the driving experience, although the steering was fairly tight

Good things about the Vibe:

- Comfortable seating

- Great stock stereo system (other people complimented it)

- Nice instrumentation

- It actually looks good, IMHO

But, I made a decision right there and then that I wouldn't buy one of these, especially due to the visibility factor - and I'm 5'11.

:slap: ok so did you get a Matrix instead?

OK, whoever thinks that this is a 'failure' is dead wrong. The new 2008 Vibe design is coming in less than a year!

There were new emissions rules that made it worthless to certify the AWD high end Vibe.

I swear, so many so called "car fans" don't read entire articles, or know what is really going on in the business. All they care about is pretty pictures and drag strip times.