Decision Time: 2009 Focus...Or Another Import?

amtrakking

The time has finally arrived to replace my car. Actually, two cars: my sweetie has a 1998 Chevy Cavalier that spends more time in the shop than on the road. I joined Blue Oval Forums largely to read of real-world experiences had--pro and con--with the Ford Focus. I thought the decision would be an easy one given my enthusiasm initially...but I'm getting cold feet now. Chalk it up to being an import buyer for over 20+ years I suppose. The only thing remaining for me to do regarding the Focus is to take an actual test drive, which I keep postponing. My sole experience with a Focus was back in 2002, a rental. The handling left something to be desired I felt, but I've learned here in the forums that Ford has vastly improved the car since that time.

We both like the current Focus--a lot! My primary concern is long term reliability. If purchased, this will be the first domestic make I have personally owned, ever. Focus owners out there, I could really use as much honest feedback about living day-to-day with your own car. Has your experience been positive? Disappointing? A bit of both? Whatever it is, I welcome some extra support in the decision making process. Ideally, I need to make the decision before the end of August.

The only other car under consideration in my household is the '09 Honda Fit.

And: if we were to purchase two Focii, paying cash for both, is it unreasonable to expect a bigger discount from a dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Buying two should get you a discount. I would also checkout the fusion and milan. I wouldn't want the same 2 cars in the driveway.

[/quote

Thx for your take on the discount. If this works out, a big discount would be great. My wife is still eager to see the Honda Fit though....

Two Focii in the drive isn't so bad; twice the eye candy! ^_^ The Fusion looks nice but is larger than necessary for my needs.

Go drive one. And drive an SES or SEL with the better suspension. You will be impressed with how it handles. Go drive a Fit and anything else, then go drive an 09. I'm pretty sure of which way you will go after that.

I can't speak personally for reliability since I've only had mine for 3 days, but my sister-in-law and her husband own an 04 and they've had zero issues with it. Just routine maintenance. The platform is 9 years old now and it's pretty tried and true, so I would expect the reliability to be good. One of the reasons I bought mine.

Oh, as far as pricing, expect to pay around invoice give or take a couple hundred. There's not much pricing leeway on these cars. You can get a better deal on an 08 if you can find one equipped how you want it. The 09 has a $500 cash rebate (as long as you don't finance through Ford) in our region.

Edited by nickz

Well, the Fit really doesn't give you much a fuel economy advantage over the Focus, so I'm not sure why you would step down in size and make so many other compromises just to get "Honda reliability". The Focus continues to be a "Recommended" vehicle from Consumer Reports, which should tell you plenty about its long-term dependability. In the end though I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't buy a Focus. I just don't like how they look. But if I wanted something cheap and reliable, it's a good way to go.

Well we all know how I'm going to respond to this, and if not, look at my signature. That being said, Nick has a great point. Why compromise so much in how much car you're getting if you don't have to. The quality of the Focus is great, and has been proven over many years. I work at a Ford dealer, so I get a demo, and get to choose pretty much what I want, and take a Focus whenever I can. Sure the Fusion is bigger, etc.. etc.., but the Focus is a blast to drive, has plenty of room, and the mileage is amazing. It's actually underrated... Alot. I recently took one on a two hour road trip on the NYS thruway. I set the cruise at 75 mph, and with the a/c on, knocked down 42 mpg! No bullsh*t. At 65 on a cooler day, I could have probibly gotten 45 mpg.(On the return trip the same day, I got 41 mpg, so it wasn't a tailwind, or downhill trip.) I have also sold my brother, mother, and sister Focii, and they all love them. The ONLY complaint was from my mother, who had a brake squeak when the car was cold. This was fixed by my dealership at no cost. The only other variable is really gonna be styling. Nick doesn't like the look of the new Focus, but it sounds like you do. I have to believe NOBODY likes the look of the Fit... Seriously. Have you seen it? It's a clown car. As far as getting a better deal on two cars, that might be the case if you have some trade-ins for the dealer to step into, but aside from the incentives, there's really only $500-$600 in markup in these cars for the dealer to give up. And that's for a nicely appointed one. Most dealers won't lose a deal over a couple hundred dollars, so offer them invoice for the car, and ask to see it. They'll bite. I hope you buy American, 'cause it's the right thing to do (I know some would argue), but in the end you'll get more car for the money, and nowadays, you're not compromising for quality... And you're not in a clown car!!!

The only other variable is really gonna be styling. Nick doesn't like the look of the new Focus, but it sounds like you do. I have to believe NOBODY likes the look of the Fit... Seriously. Have you seen it? It's a clown car.

I should just mention there are a couple of Nicks posting on this thread and we definitely don't agree on the styling. There are people who like the Fit. There are a couple of them in the parking lot here where I work. Then again, I really like the look of my Focus and yet there are plenty of people on this board and others that have absolutely visceral reactions to them. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

But yeah, the Fit is a clown car. I wasn't going to say it, but since you did... :D

I should just mention there are a couple of Nicks posting on this thread and we definitely don't agree on the styling. There are people who like the Fit. There are a couple of them in the parking lot here where I work. Then again, I really like the look of my Focus and yet there are plenty of people on this board and others that have absolutely visceral reactions to them. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

But yeah, the Fit is a clown car. I wasn't going to say it, but since you did... :D

I don't HATE the looks of the new Focus, but it's definitely not something that would attract me to it. I see it as a value proposition only. But that's just me. I would rather see something more Fiesta-like in appearance.

Sorry, was talking about Nickf1011, didn't notice you were also a Nick. Make sure you look at safety, too. The fed. crash test ratings are assuming you are crashing into a vehicle the same size as the one you are driving. Now, the Focus isn't huge, but at least yo're not worrying about a squirrel endangering you safety.

Go drive one. And drive an SES or SEL with the better suspension. You will be impressed with how it handles. Go drive a Fit and anything else, then go drive an 09. I'm pretty sure of which way you will go after that.

I can't speak personally for reliability since I've only had mine for 3 days, but my sister-in-law and her husband own an 04 and they've had zero issues with it. Just routine maintenance. The platform is 9 years old now and it's pretty tried and true, so I would expect the reliability to be good. One of the reasons I bought mine.

Thx nickz; this was most helpful.

Thx nickz; this was most helpful.

I have a 2008 SE Deluxe (will become SEL in 2009 and force you to get leather) with almost 8K miles on it. No issues at all and love the handling. I take turns that would have my 97 Taurus wheels squeeling and the Focus wanted more. For me the rear sway bar and Sync are the biggest must haves.

Nick doesn't like the look of the new Focus, but it sounds like you do. I have to believe NOBODY likes the look of the Fit... Seriously. Have you seen it? It's a clown car. As far as getting a better deal on two cars, that might be the case if you have some trade-ins for the dealer to step into, but aside from the incentives, there's really only $500-$600 in markup in these cars for the dealer to give up. And that's for a nicely appointed one. Most dealers won't lose a deal over a couple hundred dollars, so offer them invoice for the car, and ask to see it. They'll bite. I hope you buy American, 'cause it's the right thing to do (I know some would argue), but in the end you'll get more car for the money, and nowadays, you're not compromising for quality... And you're not in a clown car!!!

I see the second-gen Honda Fit more as a streamlined pod than clown car. :hysterical: I like the versatility of it, but to each his own. I'd be trading in a 2005 Corolla plus my wife's '98 Cavalier (the latter being more of a giveaway), and I'd want either an SES or SEL (nickz just purchased the top-of-the-line trim and it's incredible)...hoping this will prove a good thing for all parties involved. As for 'buying American', I'm in agreement each time I read another depressing story about job cuts or plant closings in the U.S. automotive industry. I've played with the Japanese and their products for a long time, and I think its time to come home, now more than ever. :)

I have a 2008 SE Deluxe (will become SEL in 2009 and force you to get leather) with almost 8K miles on it. No issues at all and love the handling. I take turns that would have my 97 Taurus wheels squeeling and the Focus wanted more. For me the rear sway bar and Sync are the biggest must haves.

SYNC: Check. Rear sway bar: Double check! Thx for the feedback; handling and the fun-to-drive factor are at the top of my list of 'wants'.

As you probably saw in my other posts, I have had two 08 Focuses (Focii?) since November 2007. The first one, a loaded SES, gave me no trouble save for the confusion it caused when I tried to drive my 03 Mustang GT and vice versa. Had something to do with the location of the gears and the different clutches. Other than that, I really enjoyed zipping around in it. The second, a loaded SE (should be SEL by 09 standards) with automatic, was bought in June 2008. In the near two months, the only thing that I had to have fixed was the driver side mirror...vibrated a bit too much for me to tolerate at higher speeds. Other than that, it's very fun to drive around. Of course, the Focus is my primary commuter car driving up and down I-270 everyday. NickF1011 may know about the dumbasses I have to deal with as I pass them. :hysterical: :happy feet:

However, considering I have a fleet of a vehicle for almost every occasion, I am probably not the best source. I only use the wife's Corolla for times when I need to pick up the kid and her friends from softball or when I know there's a good chance of congested parking. If I just want to have more power or go driving for the heck of it, I normally take the 08 Mustang. If it's snowing or something, I have the Mariner. When I just want to take a leisurely drive, I'll take the 03 Mustang with the top down or one of the Harleys. I wouldn't mind a Grand Marquis in my fleet, either. :shades:

Overall, the Focus is great for going shopping, to dinner, visiting friends, etc. when you need to take several people...especially with the high gas prices.

I really need a less expensive hobby. :hysterical:

P.S. Since the Focus is the only vehicle with Sync, I really miss it when I'm driving the others.

Edited by exrub

i have an 08 ses and enjoy the car. it handles very well and is suprisingly quick, something that cant be said about the fit.

had one clip break on an interior panel when i first got it, but since then it has been a very good car. a coworker has an 01 with 150k+ miles and has only needed normal maintnence.

overall, the focus is a fun to drive, inexpensive and reliable form of transportation.

As you probably saw in my other posts, I have had two 08 Focuses (Focii?) since November 2007. The first one, a loaded SES, gave me no trouble save for the confusion it caused when I tried to drive my 03 Mustang GT and vice versa. Had something to do with the location of the gears and the different clutches. Other than that, I really enjoyed zipping around in it. The second, a loaded SE (should be SEL by 09 standards) with automatic, was bought in June 2008. In the near two months, the only thing that I had to have fixed was the driver side mirror...vibrated a bit too much for me to tolerate at higher speeds. Other than that, it's very fun to drive around. Of course, the Focus is my primary commuter car driving up and down I-270 everyday. NickF1011 may know about the dumbasses I have to deal with as I pass them. :hysterical: :happy feet:

I really need a less expensive hobby. :hysterical:

P.S. Since the Focus is the only vehicle with Sync, I really miss it when I'm driving the others.

As with any hobby, the cost may be high but the pleasure received is priceless! Way to go! Thanks for the additional input on the Focus as it's much appreciated. I think I'd be lost without SYNC, too. It has to be the best ipod integration system out there IMHO.

i have an 08 ses and enjoy the car. it handles very well and is suprisingly quick, something that cant be said about the fit.

had one clip break on an interior panel when i first got it, but since then it has been a very good car. a coworker has an 01 with 150k+ miles and has only needed normal maintnence.

overall, the focus is a fun to drive, inexpensive and reliable form of transportation.

Thanks blazerdude. I don't really compare the FIT with the Focus given one's a sub-compact and has an appeal all it's own. Matching the Civic against the Focus, now there's a comparison, lol! I had plans to get a Civic when trading in the Corolla; then I began researching the Focus after seeing a couple here in town. To read that a co-worker of yours has one with over 150k miles--and has had no major issues--is reassuring. Thx for sharing the word.

Well, did you go drive one yet amtrakking? Haven't heard anything for a couple days.

Hey buddy! The plan was to hit the dealership(s) this Saturday (8/23) for a test drive. Not 100% certain that's gonna happen tomorrow though, as we're house hunting too and that's taking up a lot of free time (you're talking to one worn-out puppy). We've a tentative appointment to view another house bright and early tomorrow; if I can swing it however, we'll get the test drive in after we come back to town. :D

Hey buddy! The plan was to hit the dealership(s) this Saturday (8/23) for a test drive. Not 100% certain that's gonna happen tomorrow though, as we're house hunting too and that's taking up a lot of free time (you're talking to one worn-out puppy). We've a tentative appointment to view another house bright and early tomorrow; if I can swing it however, we'll get the test drive in after we come back to town. :D

you test drive/buy one yet?

you test drive/buy one yet?

Yes, I was able to get back in time to test drive one in SE trim before the dealer closed. Wanted to drive the SES or SEL, but the few he had were marked 'sold'. Still, the feedback I got from the car was positive. Keep in mind that I have an '05 Corolla, and in comparing the two...there is none. The Focus was engaging from the very beginning. The sound of the engine igniting was music to my ears; total rush to listen to. On suburban sidestreets, the car pulled nicely and the suspension was rock solid & supple. During one sharp curve, it reminded me of my current car and that was somewhat disappointing. Still, the turn in was crisp and offered considerably more feedback than my Toyo. With the stabilizer bars front and back on the SES/SEL, I anticipate it would be exactly as I'd hoped. As soon as the dealer receives more cars, I've asked him to call me so I can arrange for a second drive. ^_^

I live near Wauconda and Lake Zurich, IL . You see a ton of new 08' foci around here. Honestly they must sell well around here they outnumber new civics and corollas. Look at the price on corollas and civics then compare them to a focus.

Edited by thegeneral

• 1 month later...

My 2005 Focus ST just turned 3yrs old. It has been an excellent car. My daughter drives a 2003 Focus (see my sig). She is VERY hard on her car and it has survived so far just fine. She is well over 100,000 mi. I actually used to be a manager in the service department of a Ford dealership. Several of our techs also drove Foci. That says a lot to me. Great little car for the money. Personally I really like the new Focus but will probably wait for the Fiesta to come out before I make any changes.

Edited by Bleed Blue

My 2005 Focus ST just turned 3yrs old. It has been an excellent car. My daughter drives a 2003 Focus (see my sig). She is VERY hard on her car and it has survived so far just fine. She is well over 100,000 mi. I actually used to be a manager in the service department of a Ford dealership. Several of our techs also drove Foci. That says a lot to me. Great little car for the money. Personally I really like the new Focus but will probably wait for the Fiesta to come out before I make any changes.

Thx for the feedback, Bleed Blue! I kinda wish the Fiesta was arriving much sooner than expected. It looks like a winner, and I like the versatility that comes with having a hatch.

Saw a '09 Focus SEL in black recently in the parking lot at Walgreens. BEAUTIFUL! It got lots of looks from people passing it. In some way, I wish Ford wouldn't discontinue the current sedan once the next generation Focus arrives. I don't think every car around has to have the 'Euro' look or resemble a Japanese nameplate.

Edited by amtrakking