Joe Hendricks and Mark Fields

Why is it that everytime something goes wrong with the automotive industry it is always the unions fault? I am so tired of hearing we are over paid and underworked. I remember when I first did my walk through at Ford. I walked through the trim department and thought alright finally a good paying job and it looks pretty easy. I was very excited about being hired. Until I started on the trim line. It sucks you have to learn to keep up with the line and work yourself out of the hole. I don't mind working hard but I get tired of everyone saying were lazy over paid employees. Now to get to my point. Joe Hendricks and Mark Fields are about to rage war on the union. Why you might ask. I believe it is their final shot at blaming UAW workers for the failure of Ford and the rest of the industry. If we don't make concessions and kiss thier ass they are threatening to bankrupt Ford. If they can make the world belive that it is all the unions fault then they can leave North America and build in South American and Mexico or any other country. We are going to be thier exscape goat. I believe Mark Fields was hired to take the North American devision to ground zero, that is to break us and then rebuild Ford in the US ground up at a very low wage that is competive with foreign countires. American workers can not make a living on 5 or 6 dollars an hour. They want to take away our sub and gen. That would be fine if they didn't lay off so much. They pay us a good salary because we work hard and no just anyone can keep up with the line speeds. People do not realize that we make it look easy because we do the exact same thing 2600 times a week. Anyone that does the exact same thing day in out will make it appear that way. Ford needs to stop whinning about the quality and start doing something about it. I have personally bitched about the same qaulity problems for 1 1/2 years and it has not been fixed yet. I am doing my part now let Ford do its. Ford needs to stop paying all of its big wigs million of dollars and focus and qaulity and new products that will catch the customers eye. It is all about perception and Ford has taken a beating for sometime now. If you would listen to your employees and act once in awhile on what they say Ford might be able to pull itself out of the hole that FORD put it self in by hiring people who do not know shit about what the public want. And remember that your employees are some of your best buyers of Ford products. You take from us and WE WILL DESTROY YOU. All we want is to work and be able to build products that WE don't have to be ashamed of. If you hate being in the us (union employees) so much then buy your employees out and get the hell out of the US

Why is it that everytime something goes wrong with the automotive industry it is always the unions fault? I am so tired of hearing we are over paid and underworked. I remember when I first did my walk through at Ford. I walked through the trim department and thought alright finally a good paying job and it looks pretty easy. I was very excited about being hired. Until I started on the trim line. It sucks you have to learn to keep up with the line and work yourself out of the hole. I don't mind working hard but I get tired of everyone saying were lazy over paid employees. Now to get to my point. Joe Hendricks and Mark Fields are about to rage war on the union. Why you might ask. I believe it is their final shot at blaming UAW workers for the failure of Ford and the rest of the industry. If we don't make concessions and kiss thier ass they are threatening to bankrupt Ford. If they can make the world belive that it is all the unions fault then they can leave North America and build in South American and Mexico or any other country. We are going to be thier exscape goat. I believe Mark Fields was hired to take the North American devision to ground zero, that is to break us and then rebuild Ford in the US ground up at a very low wage that is competive with foreign countires. American workers can not make a living on 5 or 6 dollars an hour. They want to take away our sub and gen. That would be fine if they didn't lay off so much. They pay us a good salary because we work hard and no just anyone can keep up with the line speeds.

Hmm, seems that there are a number of automotive and supplier factories right here in the US of A that are staffed by workers who "can keep up with the line speeds" even without the superpowers granted by a UAW membership card. Some of these plants are run by obscure firms such as Honda and Toyota - perhaps you've heard of them?

People do not realize that we make it look easy because we do the exact same thing 2600 times a week. Anyone that does the exact same thing day in out will make it appear that way. Ford needs to stop whinning about the quality and start doing something about it. I have personally bitched about the same qaulity problems for 1 1/2 years and it has not been fixed yet. I am doing my part now let Ford do its. Ford needs to stop paying all of its big wigs million of dollars and focus and qaulity and new products that will catch the customers eye. It is all about perception and Ford has taken a beating for sometime now. If you would listen to your employees and act once in awhile on what they say Ford might be able to pull itself out of the hole that FORD put it self in by hiring people who do not know shit about what the public want. And remember that your employees are some of your best buyers of Ford products. You take from us and WE WILL DESTROY YOU.

And I'll bet you'll burn your house down to catch that mouse, too! You'll show that little rodent who's boss! :rolleyes:

All we want is to work and be able to build products that WE don't have to be ashamed of. If you hate being in the us (union employees) so much then buy your employees out and get the hell out of the US

Final thought - English, know it, live it, love it, and most of all, USE IT.

post-12939-1144071971_thumb.jpg

you had a pretty good argument until you said this and lost all credibility.

Look what I am saying is not that we will be the ones to win. No one one will win when you try and break the spirt of the ones who built you. We are the hard labor and Bill Ford knows this. He should listen to his heart and gut, not to someone who will destroy everything his family has worked for. When you try and break someone then they are forced to fight back. If the uniions are destroyed then Ford will be destroyed in the US. If the public really knew what was going on and how things were, do you really believe that we would ever buy a Ford product agaian. I had never bought a Ford until I went to work for them and my family never did. I know my family will not buy again if Ford destroys the union and the people who put it on the map. I would love to see us work something out but Bill Ford and his management team needs to face up to thier responsiblity as well. Don't just say were doing this and that and not follow through. Ford must learn to trust his union and the union must learn to trust Bill Ford. Things weren't always bad. We need to recapture our on once peace of mind and work together to get the company on track. You know even if a plant makes concessions, they are not promised any product look at Atlanta. Remember that no one wins when we have to fight both the union and Ford will be destroyed.

They will destroy you! -- Ford and GM are going to pull a page from Caterpillar’s playbook. Study it -- it is your future. I'd start saving for the strike, it is going to be long, and there will be replacement workers at some plants, just like Caterpillar. Come 2008 Ford and GM will be drastically different companies. For everyone just hope they don’t file for bankruptcy, the only people that win there is the board and the lawyers.

Take the buyout where they pay for your school and get an education -- it is the smartest thing you can do.

They will destroy you! -- Ford and GM are going to pull a page from Caterpillar’s playbook. Study it -- it is your future. I'd start saving for the strike, it is going to be long, and there will be replacement workers at some plants, just like Caterpillar. Come 2008 Ford and GM will be drastically different companies. For everyone just hope they don’t file for bankruptcy, the only people that win there is the board and the lawyers.

Take the buyout where they pay for your school and get an education -- it is the smartest thing you can do.

Yes, U know just like I do. Gettlepillar and the other retiring union bigwigs r going to make 16:50 a reality. They will get their 2 pensions and walk away right before 2007 comes in. UAW will be left with 100yards to go, no timeouts, 4th down, and Ryan Leaf as the qb. CAterpillar swan song. (Gettlefinger strikes again). I do know this. The dummies gave up r negotiated increases for nothing. We had a signed agreement and somehow 51 people out of 100 said yes. Bull. We have been sold by the bigwigs. Pretty soon we will cross the Rio Grande looking for our jobs. Thanks Gettlefinger. Alas 55 dollarsx 12monthsx15years= 4bs jackets and some t shirts thanks union.

Yes, U know just like I do. Gettlepillar and the other retiring union bigwigs r going to make 16:50 a reality. They will get their 2 pensions and walk away right before 2007 comes in. UAW will be left with 100yards to go, no timeouts, 4th down, and Ryan Leaf as the qb. CAterpillar swan song. (Gettlefinger strikes again). I do know this. The dummies gave up r negotiated increases for nothing. We had a signed agreement and somehow 51 people out of 100 said yes. Bull. We have been sold by the bigwigs. Pretty soon we will cross the Rio Grande looking for our jobs. Thanks Gettlefinger. Alas 55 dollarsx 12monthsx15years= 4bs jackets and some t shirts thanks union.

I forgot one other thing. They R going to use the media and funny math to break us all the way down. THe guy from Delphi says we make 80 bucks an hour when u include vac,sick,med ben, etc,etc. But they definitely wont tell u about how much Ford losses due to the fact of inept management,stupidvisors,deadweight union officials,union members. DEAdweight union members are created by stupidvisors an inept managers. I personally have witnessed everything under the sun and the moon when it comes to this company. Hourly hard-worker will get blamed, but the real culprits will get rewarded.

Guest Sixcav

There's plenty of blame to go around here. It's certainly true that management over at Ford has made some bad calls, mostly by way of producing cars that people don't want to buy. I think there's no doubt that for years now the pickup truck and SUV market has been Fords bread and butter. GM too for that matter. But now gas is $2.45 a gallon for the cheap stuff and the market is not selling. Rather than have a good sedan or fuel efficient economy car in the line up, Ford just decided that F150's and Excursions would sell forever.

On the union side of the issue, I personally don't give a damn how hard you guys work, you're overpaid for it. $35.00 an hour to put bolt A in slot B is just too much and its part of the reason a damn car costs out the ass these days. Workers over at non-UAW facilities work every bit as hard and guess what, they still make a decent wage and they still get the job done. It is estimated that $2000 of every GM car sold goes to pay for the 100% free healthcare of UAW workers. I don't know what the figure is over at Ford but I'm guessing its pretty near to that. I personally know a man who is on disability from GM, a UAW worker. The man has not set foot in a facility to build cars in 15 years. He draws 95% of his salary every month and every morning his disabled ass gets up and drives himself to work where he spends all day on his feet running his own small business. Real disabled. I'd like to say this is the exception and not the rule at UAW but you can find case after case of such waste. Laid off workers aren't really laid off, they are sent to some place where they sit around and watch TV all day because they are too far from a facility to commute to work. So GM pays them their $35.00 an hour to watch TV and read the paper 8 hours a day. So its not as if the union is blameless here either. Both sides of the issue need to quit fucking up and start making cars that are competitive. In the long run it is the consumer that pays the price and ultimately, the country in general.

There's plenty of blame to go around here. It's certainly true that management over at Ford has made some bad calls, mostly by way of producing cars that people don't want to buy. I think there's no doubt that for years now the pickup truck and SUV market has been Fords bread and butter. GM too for that matter. But now gas is $2.45 a gallon for the cheap stuff and the market is not selling. Rather than have a good sedan or fuel efficient economy car in the line up, Ford just decided that F150's and Excursions would sell forever.

On the union side of the issue, I personally don't give a damn how hard you guys work, you're overpaid for it. $35.00 an hour to put bolt A in slot B is just too much and its part of the reason a damn car costs out the ass these days. Workers over at non-UAW facilities work every bit as hard and guess what, they still make a decent wage and they still get the job done. It is estimated that $2000 of every GM car sold goes to pay for the 100% free healthcare of UAW workers. I don't know what the figure is over at Ford but I'm guessing its pretty near to that. I personally know a man who is on disability from GM, a UAW worker. The man has not set foot in a facility to build cars in 15 years. He draws 95% of his salary every month and every morning his disabled ass gets up and drives himself to work where he spends all day on his feet running his own small business. Real disabled. I'd like to say this is the exception and not the rule at UAW but you can find case after case of such waste. Laid off workers aren't really laid off, they are sent to some place where they sit around and watch TV all day because they are too far from a facility to commute to work. So GM pays them their $35.00 an hour to watch TV and read the paper 8 hours a day. So its not as if the union is blameless here either. Both sides of the issue need to quit fucking up and start making cars that are competitive. In the long run it is the consumer that pays the price and ultimately, the country in general.

Did u know that Ford made 1.8 billion dollars in 2005. Ford and Volvo are building plants in India China And uzebakistan. They work for 4 dollars a day. NIce American Product and nicly aquired Sweedish product and build em everyplace but here. Ships go out just like they come in. I deserve 65 bucks per hour just to make up for all the exporting we could have had going on.

Guest Sixcav

Cars built by cheap ass 4 dollar a day labor will probably show it in the long run by becoming pieces of shit that nobody will buy. UAW is overpriced, but the workers do turn out a good product. I think a lot of those plants that they open in those countries you refer to are building cars for those countires they are in, not to be imported back to here. Some yes, but the majority are probably for the local economies. The fact of the matter is, the auto industry from the top down (like many things in this country) needs a complete rework. The world changes and you either change and adapt with it or you get swept aside. The truly great thing about America is our ability to adapt. We can overcome almost anything because of our system of government, economics and just flat out determination.

Do you really believe that labor cost is why the price is so high a a car? Lets do the math, and lets base it on the so called 65.00 dallars per hour. We have always been told that 1 job in final assembly supports 5 in other plants, final being body shop, paint, and final. During final assembly it takes appox. 24 hours to build an F-150 so:

1x5x24x65=$7800.00

Sticker price average oh about $36000.00

$36000.00 - $7800.00=$28,200.00

Labor is to high? You pay more for advertising and lawyers than you do labor, remember that next time you bitch about anyones job in any automotive industry. It is a fair obervation that most of your info comes from the media just from the numbers you use, when I get to $35.00 an hour I will let you know, I am a skilled tradesman and we average 4 to 5 dollars an hour more.

All the automakers now coplain about legacy cost hence the $65.00 figure, but how do they justify dipping into those pension funds all those years and think it wouldn't catch up with them? In the old days when pensions were agreed to most workers lasted 3 to 5 years after retiring before they passed away, not any more. I haven't seen numbers lately but social security numbers do support this therory. So the legacy cost are much higher now than ever, thats a gamble the automakers made, the one time the house lost. what I worry most about is no matter how much I put in my 401 will it be enough? Without an pension and no social security I don't know if it will be. I have a long way to go before that day comes, so we will see.

Just like the case of the laid off workers: most would rather be working, sitting around doing nothing in one spot for 8 hours is like doing time in the big house. That is one of the worst TV jobs (haha) you would ever want. You are right both are to blame (co. and union) but both made these agreements and you will see changes in 07, just hope they give up the right things to protect the workers and the future of the industry.

Do you really believe that labor cost is why the price is so high a a car? Lets do the math, and lets base it on the so called 65.00 dallars per hour. We have always been told that 1 job in final assembly supports 5 in other plants, final being body shop, paint, and final. During final assembly it takes appox. 24 hours to build an F-150 so:

1x5x24x65=$7800.00

Sticker price average oh about $36000.00

$36000.00 - $7800.00=$28,200.00

Labor is to high? You pay more for advertising and lawyers than you do labor, remember that next time you bitch about anyones job in any automotive industry. It is a fair obervation that most of your info comes from the media just from the numbers you use, when I get to $35.00 an hour I will let you know, I am a skilled tradesman and we average 4 to 5 dollars an hour more.

All the automakers now coplain about legacy cost hence the $65.00 figure, but how do they justify dipping into those pension funds all those years and think it wouldn't catch up with them? In the old days when pensions were agreed to most workers lasted 3 to 5 years after retiring before they passed away, not any more. I haven't seen numbers lately but social security numbers do support this therory. So the legacy cost are much higher now than ever, thats a gamble the automakers made, the one time the house lost. what I worry most about is no matter how much I put in my 401 will it be enough? Without an pension and no social security I don't know if it will be. I have a long way to go before that day comes, so we will see.

Just like the case of the laid off workers: most would rather be working, sitting around doing nothing in one spot for 8 hours is like doing time in the big house. That is one of the worst TV jobs (haha) you would ever want. You are right both are to blame (co. and union) but both made these agreements and you will see changes in 07, just hope they give up the right things to protect the workers and the future of the industry.

We should take the laid off workers and have them replace the ones in the medical pool. I think Ford and the union should split the cost of the gen pool. We needthe gen pool! :idea:

Guest Sixcav

It's no mystery or secret that UAW workers are overpaid. It's also no secret that management is bunch of greedy fucks who think every drop of sweat the UAW guys shed on the line belongs in their bank account. Both of these groups are so busy fucking each other over they haven't realized that the only ones they are really fucking over is the rest of the country. I guess I should have just summed it up with that. lol

Why is it that everytime something goes wrong with the automotive industry it is always the unions fault? I am so tired of hearing we are over paid and underworked. I remember when I first did my walk through at Ford. I walked through the trim department and thought alright finally a good paying job and it looks pretty easy. I was very excited about being hired. Until I started on the trim line. It sucks you have to learn to keep up with the line and work yourself out of the hole. I don't mind working hard but I get tired of everyone saying were lazy over paid employees. Now to get to my point. Joe Hendricks and Mark Fields are about to rage war on the union. Why you might ask. I believe it is their final shot at blaming UAW workers for the failure of Ford and the rest of the industry. If we don't make concessions and kiss thier ass they are threatening to bankrupt Ford. If they can make the world belive that it is all the unions fault then they can leave North America and build in South American and Mexico or any other country. We are going to be thier exscape goat. I believe Mark Fields was hired to take the North American devision to ground zero, that is to break us and then rebuild Ford in the US ground up at a very low wage that is competive with foreign countires. American workers can not make a living on 5 or 6 dollars an hour. They want to take away our sub and gen. That would be fine if they didn't lay off so much. They pay us a good salary because we work hard and no just anyone can keep up with the line speeds. People do not realize that we make it look easy because we do the exact same thing 2600 times a week. Anyone that does the exact same thing day in out will make it appear that way. Ford needs to stop whinning about the quality and start doing something about it. I have personally bitched about the same qaulity problems for 1 1/2 years and it has not been fixed yet. I am doing my part now let Ford do its. Ford needs to stop paying all of its big wigs million of dollars and focus and qaulity and new products that will catch the customers eye. It is all about perception and Ford has taken a beating for sometime now. If you would listen to your employees and act once in awhile on what they say Ford might be able to pull itself out of the hole that FORD put it self in by hiring people who do not know shit about what the public want. And remember that your employees are some of your best buyers of Ford products. You take from us and WE WILL DESTROY YOU. All we want is to work and be able to build products that WE don't have to be ashamed of. If you hate being in the us (union employees) so much then buy your employees out and get the hell out of the US

I don't often write on this board but this comment shows a huge gap that still exists in the mind of some of our employees both salaried and hourly. I am in manufacturing management in one of our vast factories. I have worked in a few others while trying to further my career. I am going to say a few things that may offend the author above but I feel is a reasonable assessment.

1) We are ALL to blame for the condition of the company. The union did a great job fighting for high wages and the company paid them. We have all also made decision that may have put delivery or personal feelings before quality. So let's get behind the blame game and look forward.

2) We have to directly compete with the Toyotas, Hondas & Hyundais in the market. In fact, we have to get a step ahead of them because they are taking our market share and in the customer's eye, we have to be much better than them to return to Ford. We no longer can hide behind the big blue oval and believe it will be ok.

3) Manufacturing - We can compete and still have the UAW as a partner. Everyone is going to have to change, from the cleaner to the plant manager. I have already started changing and working with my salaried and hourly teams to prepare for a much more competitive world. Here is the mindset "take the blue oval off the front of the building and believe we are not protected by Ford any longer. Now we have to compete with anyone that produces a car or truck, even our suppliers†That statement when accepted, does open a few eyes. We will have to become Lean. I am not talking job cuts (we know that is going to happen anyways because of volume reductions) but flexible working conditions. For the most part, our plants should have no more than 3 trades. Electrical, Mechanical and General Repair. Then the line teams would begin daily rotations: Monday - work on line, Tuesday - Drive a fork, Wednesday - stock workstations and clean areas, etc... This will allow everyone to get more experience doing other jobs. Sounds frightening to many but it isn't all that bad. Management will HAVE to change into a support role for the work teams. Their main function would be to make sure that the teams have the tools, maintenance time and skills to succeed. This is a great challenge and I will be the first to admit it. Some people will have to change or be let go.

4) Product Development - Finally I am seeing a few bright spots in our new vehicle programs (Fusion, Edge, F-150, MK's). I think we have to take quick control of aging brands such as Ranger & Focus because they are embarrassing products versus similar vehicles. The gas mileage on ranger is as bad as a full size. This is an executive decision that fell by the wayside during the Nasser era.

In closing, I think the gentleman that wrote this article has no real solutions to the problem. The us vs. them mentality has to stop immediately or we don't stand a chance. We know quality is critical and EVERYONE has responsibility to speak up in order to make the situation better. Mark Fields is going to tear the company to the ground and rebuild it but please, don't think it is only the union that will be asked to change. With all the levels of worthless bureaucracy and politics, the wrecking ball will have to swing to make room for a new, more modern Ford to rise up. We will all be out of work in 5 years if we don't change.

P.S. Please use spell check and lower your emotions. We need solutions, not more problems. The competitors are looking at us bickering and laughing at us digging our own grave. :shrug:

I don't often write on this board but this comment shows a huge gap that still exists in the mind of some of our employees both salaried and hourly. I am in manufacturing management in one of our vast factories. I have worked in a few others while trying to further my career. I am going to say a few things that may offend the author above but I feel is a reasonable assessment.

1) We are ALL to blame for the condition of the company. The union did a great job fighting for high wages and the company paid them. We have all also made decision that may have put delivery or personal feelings before quality. So let's get behind the blame game and look forward.

2) We have to directly compete with the Toyotas, Hondas & Hyundais in the market. In fact, we have to get a step ahead of them because they are taking our market share and in the customer's eye, we have to be much better than them to return to Ford. We no longer can hide behind the big blue oval and believe it will be ok.

3) Manufacturing - We can compete and still have the UAW as a partner. Everyone is going to have to change, from the cleaner to the plant manager. I have already started changing and working with my salaried and hourly teams to prepare for a much more competitive world. Here is the mindset "take the blue oval off the front of the building and believe we are not protected by Ford any longer. Now we have to compete with anyone that produces a car or truck, even our suppliers†That statement when accepted, does open a few eyes. We will have to become Lean. I am not talking job cuts (we know that is going to happen anyways because of volume reductions) but flexible working conditions. For the most part, our plants should have no more than 3 trades. Electrical, Mechanical and General Repair. Then the line teams would begin daily rotations: Monday - work on line, Tuesday - Drive a fork, Wednesday - stock workstations and clean areas, etc... This will allow everyone to get more experience doing other jobs. Sounds frightening to many but it isn't all that bad. Management will HAVE to change into a support role for the work teams. Their main function would be to make sure that the teams have the tools, maintenance time and skills to succeed. This is a great challenge and I will be the first to admit it. Some people will have to change or be let go.

4) Product Development - Finally I am seeing a few bright spots in our new vehicle programs (Fusion, Edge, F-150, MK's). I think we have to take quick control of aging brands such as Ranger & Focus because they are embarrassing products versus similar vehicles. The gas mileage on ranger is as bad as a full size. This is an executive decision that fell by the wayside during the Nasser era.

In closing, I think the gentleman that wrote this article has no real solutions to the problem. The us vs. them mentality has to stop immediately or we don't stand a chance. We know quality is critical and EVERYONE has responsibility to speak up in order to make the situation better. Mark Fields is going to tear the company to the ground and rebuild it but please, don't think it is only the union that will be asked to change. With all the levels of worthless bureaucracy and politics, the wrecking ball will have to swing to make room for a new, more modern Ford to rise up. We will all be out of work in 5 years if we don't change.

P.S. Please use spell check and lower your emotions. We need solutions, not more problems. The competitors are looking at us bickering and laughing at us digging our own grave. :shrug:

Well let us start with #1, sounds like a good place to me. Do you thnk that you deserve the money that you make anymore than anyone else? And if so is your wage a reflection of the price the company agreed to pay the hourly workforce? Why sure it is that is why they used to give someone hourly 15% above scale to wear a tie. I know this as fact.

#2 If we are going to compete with the others than compete, not lag behind them. We have overpriced our cars and trucks long enough so that the young and underpayed cannot afford a Ford, yet we as hourly are willing to take the cuts supposeadly needed to help the company. When will the management get real to this?

#3 Mark Fields said on Jan. 23 that he was going to hold management accountable for their actions, I'm still waiting. From what I have seen at KCAP is the same scare tatics and blame game that I have seen for several years now (beginning with disco Dave). When FPS was introduced into our plant we were told that it was not team concept, than what is it? You refer to teams in this statment. You say we have to compete with our vendors? We brow beat them until the are almost into bankurpcy now, so the must find ways to survive. Lean just another copycat statement taken from Toyota, get real, Henry wanted total control of operations so he knew where is money was going, not outsourcing. This way if a mistake was made it was addressed inside the company, its in the history books read it, learn it. As far as rotating, this reminds me of the Ford 2000 program introduced in 1993. Someone thought that all managment should spend time in all departments to better learn them. Well the ones that have come through the maintance department have done NOTHING to help maintance. Nowadays NO ONE in maintance management has a maintance background. That does not only hurt maintance it makes us look like fools, which the hourly workforce is not. It has gotten so bad that they think we lie to them all the time, aboultly no trust from either side. With that being said I see why you think that we need only 3 trades, heck we call are ME, general maintance Donny. We have training, trust us, buy us parts, and PLEASE get out uf the F****** way.

#4 I don't have alot of answers here but I do know that not long ago I sat in a new F-150. Although it looks really good I was not impreesed with the feel inside copared to my 99. Seats are not as comfortable, less visablity and cheaper feeling controls on the hvac.

In closing you reply had no more good answers than the first. You see we always don't seem to see eye to eye but we are not stupid either. We all see something wrong with Ford today. When you learn to speak up for quality in KCAP let me know, I would like to watch, I havn't seen it there for awhile. Personally I think it will take more than Mark Fields to bring Ford back to the front, but I cannot forecast the future quite like you.

5 years may be too late.

P.S. I cannot find spellcheck on here can you show me how to use it? emotions are why this country is here today deal with it. Our competitors could care less, they are out front looking back at us right now.

Well let us start with #1, sounds like a good place to me. Do you thnk that you deserve the money that you make anymore than anyone else? And if so is your wage a reflection of the price the company agreed to pay the hourly workforce? Why sure it is that is why they used to give someone hourly 15% above scale to wear a tie. I know this as fact.

#2 If we are going to compete with the others than compete, not lag behind them. We have overpriced our cars and trucks long enough so that the young and underpayed cannot afford a Ford, yet we as hourly are willing to take the cuts supposeadly needed to help the company. When will the management get real to this?

#3 Mark Fields said on Jan. 23 that he was going to hold management accountable for their actions, I'm still waiting. From what I have seen at KCAP is the same scare tatics and blame game that I have seen for several years now (beginning with disco Dave). When FPS was introduced into our plant we were told that it was not team concept, than what is it? You refer to teams in this statment. You say we have to compete with our vendors? We brow beat them until the are almost into bankurpcy now, so the must find ways to survive. Lean just another copycat statement taken from Toyota, get real, Henry wanted total control of operations so he knew where is money was going, not outsourcing. This way if a mistake was made it was addressed inside the company, its in the history books read it, learn it. As far as rotating, this reminds me of the Ford 2000 program introduced in 1993. Someone thought that all managment should spend time in all departments to better learn them. Well the ones that have come through the maintance department have done NOTHING to help maintance. Nowadays NO ONE in maintance management has a maintance background. That does not only hurt maintance it makes us look like fools, which the hourly workforce is not. It has gotten so bad that they think we lie to them all the time, aboultly no trust from either side. With that being said I see why you think that we need only 3 trades, heck we call are ME, general maintance Donny. We have training, trust us, buy us parts, and PLEASE get out uf the F****** way.

#4 I don't have alot of answers here but I do know that not long ago I sat in a new F-150. Although it looks really good I was not impreesed with the feel inside copared to my 99. Seats are not as comfortable, less visablity and cheaper feeling controls on the hvac.

In closing you reply had no more good answers than the first. You see we always don't seem to see eye to eye but we are not stupid either. We all see something wrong with Ford today. When you learn to speak up for quality in KCAP let me know, I would like to watch, I havn't seen it there for awhile. Personally I think it will take more than Mark Fields to bring Ford back to the front, but I cannot forecast the future quite like you.

5 years may be too late.

P.S. I cannot find spellcheck on here can you show me how to use it? emotions are why this country is here today deal with it. Our competitors could care less, they are out front looking back at us right now.

Sparks will fly; you made some valid remarks. Yes I did write that in the heat of the moment. You are wrong about one thing, I do think I have some suggestions that might help all involved. I am not stating that I am correct this is just an opinion.

1.) Lets study the patterns that all of the auto industry use. Business in a lot about pattern setting, what one might do that works, then most of the time others will follow suite.

2.) We need to recognize these patterns in advance and react in away that is positive for all.

3.) We need to fight Ford on its own level and that happens to be in the media. We must change the perception of the American people. At this time they believe that we are lazy and over paid.

4.) We the union members must reach out to our communities and show them that we are just like them (average Joe’s). I am not saying make Ford look bad, if we make Ford look bad then we look bad.

I didn’t say that Ford wouldn’t make concessions, what I do believe is that ford is setting us up so that if we challenge them we will appear lazy, over paid and greedy. Ford would love for us to fight with them so we appear to be at fault. I am not against giving some, but everything, that’s unacceptable. Look I realize we make a good wage; but we also work hard for that wage. The benefits are good but I already gave up my next raise which was .75cents an hour and I lost .14 cents on cola and they are taking .02 cents every quarter. I don’t have a problem paying for a portion of my medical. Everyone else has to, but with the money I just gave up. That would pay for my medical. That is money that I will never see again and it could add up to big dollars when you consider it over time and include possible overtime as well.

Sparks will fly; you made some valid remarks. Yes I did write that in the heat of the moment. You are wrong about one thing, I do think I have some suggestions that might help all involved. I am not stating that I am correct this is just an opinion.

1.) Lets study the patterns that all of the auto industry use. Business in a lot about pattern setting, what one might do that works, then most of the time others will follow suite.

2.) We need to recognize these patterns in advance and react in away that is positive for all.

3.) We need to fight Ford on its own level and that happens to be in the media. We must change the perception of the American people. At this time they believe that we are lazy and over paid.

4.) We the union members must reach out to our communities and show them that we are just like them (average Joe’s). I am not saying make Ford look bad, if we make Ford look bad then we look bad.

I didn’t say that Ford wouldn’t make concessions, what I do believe is that ford is setting us up so that if we challenge them we will appear lazy, over paid and greedy. Ford would love for us to fight with them so we appear to be at fault. I am not against giving some, but everything, that’s unacceptable. Look I realize we make a good wage; but we also work hard for that wage. The benefits are good but I already gave up my next raise which was .75cents an hour and I lost .14 cents on cola and they are taking .02 cents every quarter. I don’t have a problem paying for a portion of my medical. Everyone else has to, but with the money I just gave up. That would pay for my medical. That is money that I will never see again and it could add up to big dollars when you consider it over time and include possible overtime as well.

Well I never said that you were wrong at all, if fact I think manufmanager was way off target, I was tring to defend you.

Part of Ford's problem is that they have followed to long and are late to the plate many times, prime example is the Excape. This should have been built instead of the Contour at KCAP in 1995. But hindsight is 20/20. I think that '95 was the first year for Toyota's Rav-4, don't quote me on that.

We need to fight smarter than Ford to win, currently I am having trouble with a manager that seems to like to lie and belittle his people. The only way to stay ahead of a person like this is to embarrass him in front of his bosses and peers. Using the union and hourly people from other departments seems to help. I go to work to make a wage and do my job not to have someone try to make an ass of me.

It is hard to believe that I used to be proud to say I worked at Ford, and now I don't feel the same. Iam sure it is because when I hired in, times, bosses, and attitudes were alot different. Then it didn't seem like managment had as much of the "I'm better than you" attitude, they respected the people more, which made a heck of a differnence in moral.

Everyone has to make consessions for this to work not just the hourly workforce, and until I see a difference I will continue to question where this company is going.

Well I never said that you were wrong at all, if fact I think manufmanager was way off target, I was tring to defend you.

Part of Ford's problem is that they have followed to long and are late to the plate many times, prime example is the Excape. This should have been built instead of the Contour at KCAP in 1995. But hindsight is 20/20. I think that '95 was the first year for Toyota's Rav-4, don't quote me on that.

We need to fight smarter than Ford to win, currently I am having trouble with a manager that seems to like to lie and belittle his people. The only way to stay ahead of a person like this is to embarrass him in front of his bosses and peers. Using the union and hourly people from other departments seems to help. I go to work to make a wage and do my job not to have someone try to make an ass of me.

It is hard to believe that I used to be proud to say I worked at Ford, and now I don't feel the same. Iam sure it is because when I hired in, times, bosses, and attitudes were alot different. Then it didn't seem like managment had as much of the "I'm better than you" attitude, they respected the people more, which made a heck of a differnence in moral.

Everyone has to make consessions for this to work not just the hourly workforce, and until I see a difference I will continue to question where this company is going.

Sorry, you were right. I had the wrong person. I don't know if things are going to get better, but I hope so. Good luck with your boss. I have one who doesn't care about quality. Hey hear anything about a buy out package in Chicago>

Well I never said that you were wrong at all, if fact I think manufmanager was way off target,

I bet if he told you he was hourly you would have agreed with him. As soon as you found out he was salary you tuned out.,

You first response back to him was questioning his pay package.

You obviously can't read. What he was saying is that there shouldn't be an "us and them" mentality. It obviously still drives you and you probably cant live without "us and them"

I bet if he told you he was hourly you would have agreed with him. As soon as you found out he was salary you tuned out.,

You first response back to him was questioning his pay package.

You obviously can't read. What he was saying is that there shouldn't be an "us and them" mentality. It obviously still drives you and you probably cant live without "us and them"

I really don't think I would have agreed with him if he was hourly, sorry to inform you. I didn't tune him out because the blame game thing he speaks of reminds me of a republican statment.

I think in his first response he talks about unions fight to get us great pay, I just stated why his pay is good accordingly. If you read the post I wrote last night you would see that I think that the "us vs. them" mentallity has become much worse in recent years at KCAP. In fact I said something about this in the post you are referring to in #3. So yes I can read that doesn't mean I agree. I would like to see managment at KCAP grow some B@lls and be stand up men again, not the power tripping fools that we have in all areas of managment today.

Remember respect is earned not given because you work in a different capacity than the next guy, my first boss at Ford told me " You never know when you may be talking to a millionare in here, respect these people." Good advice that has left when the good old boys did.

I love how I keep seeing are WAGES go up, I love how the loss per vehicle keeps going up, heck by 07 we should be up to $100hr, and a loss per vehicle around $5000.

I love reading how Honda and Toyoda are doing so well without the unions, but they fear us getting in their, they pay almost the SAME WAGE, or the same, but NOBODY questions that, they are new companys compared to Ford/Gm, can any of the import lovers tell me how many retirees the transplants have?

They blame our wages on the price of cars, but the imports are as much or more, but that is ok.

The UAW, Ford/Gm need to fire their PR department and get some new people.

And the attitude of the hourly guy compared to the salery guy, is a HUGE problem.

I had a super try yelling at me for her screw up infront of around 10 people, I told her she can talk to me in her office or up at HR.

We seem to be getting along better.

Sparks makes a good point about manager problems- any manager that 'talks down' to their employees and simply demands respect rather than earning it is counterproductive...A good manager can earn the respect of his people andin a cooperative way get results- bickering will never help. then too Ive also seen folks that will argue till their blue in the face that manager is wrong- again no good for anyone. both types need to disappear, and everyone needs to find middle ground to put energy in one direction- making their plants more profitable. Ive always felt the best managers know the nuts and bolts of their departments, will help out when needed, never publicly chastise a employee for screwing up. As I understand it though- labor rules can prevent managers from ever 'getting their hands dirty' which encourages the us and them attitude. allowing folks to help between trades/levels without grievances would be a good start- the more everyone can do, the more time can be saved- as long as 'skill level' dont require tradesman expertise anyway...If you see trash in the parking lot, pick it up on your way in, and if a janitor complains, shame on him type of thing...every trade has 'simple tasks' thrown in, as long as someones trying to help, say thanks instead of 'youre not allowed'. if groups can work across trade barriers where expertise not really in question, and if management can work WITH employees, it could still turn around- but from what I see its like picking a football team- everyone has their 'team' that has to win(even if their 'team' is nothing to do with them aside from a city name or such) and the competition stays internal. the game needing won should be ford vs hyundai, not management vs union, pipefitter vs towmotor driver, etc...

With all the levels of worthless bureaucracy and politics, the wrecking ball will have to swing to make room for a new, more modern Ford to rise up. We will all be out of work in 5 years if we don't change.

Excellent analysis! In summary, everyone was greedy, selfish and short-sighted during the good times. Now that times are very bad, everyone will need to sacrifice . . . and hope the new products are home runs. (I'm much less optimistic about the product component, though, given the current tepid results (D[ull]3, etc.) and overly aggressive cost-cutting.

"Instead of talking about competing with the Japanese, do something about it. Instead of worrying about what price the stock is, build a quality product, decent design, and then it will follow suit that the stock will go up," said Dan Mulvehill, 52, who works as a painter at the factory. 'There was too much cost reduction, they were focused on the SUV and the gas hog when the writing was on the wall and they didn't prepare for that.'"

However, the UAW has to do its part, too. They cannot saddle Ford with costs much higher than Toyota and Honda while expecting Ford stay competitive or to keep more jobs in the U.S.A. Because the market sets vehicle prices, money spent on legacy, excessive benefits and agreement compliance costs is money that has to come out of the product through cheaper materials or designs. Consumers aren't stupid. They can see quality and lack thereof. Furthermore, the vast majority of consumers aren't union and believe-erroneously perhaps--that unions are wholly out of touch with the global economy.