X-Plan vs Invoice on 2008 MKX

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? My X-Plan price for a 2008 MKX is almost $900 MORE than invoice!! I'm sure I can pick one up at invoice but am just curious about this.

Also....I see 3500 cashback OR 0 pct for 72, BUT I heard somewhere that they were going to do both in Sept. Does anyone know? Otherwise I'll pick it up at invoice and take their free money for 4 years and not worry about the rebate/cashback.

thanks

bj

I thought X-Plan was 3% above invoice minus all rebates (including dealer rebates).

From the fordpartner.com website:

Pricing Formula

* X-Plan is a pre-determined price based on dealer invoice or A-Plan price depending on brand. The X-Plan price is noted on the dealer invoice (except for Land Rover and Jaguar).

X-Plan

Ford/Mercury

Dealer Invoice - 0.4% of Invoice + $75 Administration Fee (see sample invoice)

Lincoln

Dealer Invoice + 0.6% of Invoice + $75 Administration Fee (see sample invoice)

Volvo

AZ-Plan + 2% of AZ-Plan

Land Rover

Dealer Invoice + 4% of Invoice (excluding Regional Advertising Group fee and destination & delivery fee)

Jaguar

Dealer Invoice + 4% of Invoice (excluding Advertising Association Fee and destination & delivery fee)

Mazda S- Plan

The Mazda S-Plan price is equal to the total dealer invoice amount. It is listed in the lower left corner of the factory invoice as "S-PLAN". This is the same price that the dealer pays for the vehicle. Mazda pays the dealer a commission on each S-Plan sale.

If you try getting one for invoice and not using an X plan PIN, watch out for the fees that they can charge you when you don't use the PIN. It might be better to use the PIN.

Exactly what we did. They offered invoice minus holdback and the zero for 72. We have an Escape Hybrid ordered and I should have a VIN Thursday, but it's a tossup for us. The Ford dealer would be thrilled to have the hybrid for stock (and I use that term loosely since it would be gone in a second) and the MKX is very enticing. At the end of the day, the payments will be the same, so it really boils down to mpg.

Other thoughts we've had are:

Will the MKX resale value fall completely off the face of the earth in the next 48 months? (Obviously that depends greatly on the price of oil, but I'm wondering....)

Will the current spooling up of technology begin to really haul tail and make the Escape Hybrid nothing more than a stop-gap for the next "big thing"....therefore rendering it less valuable after 4-5 years than what it appears today?

Finally....is Ford going to allow leasing of the '09 hybrid? IF they do, will it continue to be really weak on residual?

Thanks for all the thoughts and help folks. Whichever vehicle we get, it'll be a Ford....American....and replacing our LAST import (2005 FX35). It'll be our daily, along side our '07 GT500.

bj

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? My X-Plan price for a 2008 MKX is almost $900 MORE than invoice!! I'm sure I can pick one up at invoice but am just curious about this.

Also....I see 3500 cashback OR 0 pct for 72, BUT I heard somewhere that they were going to do both in Sept. Does anyone know? Otherwise I'll pick it up at invoice and take their free money for 4 years and not worry about the rebate/cashback.

thanks

bj

Hi vnmous1. :D Simply put, if that "X-Plan" price the Dealer gave you is only the "X-Plan" price without any taxes, Title or Registration, then the Dealer is lying to you about the price. There is no way that an X-Plan price alone should be $900 over Invoice. In fact, using Ford's X-Plan price calculations, a Lincoln would need to have an Invoice price of approximately $137,000 to have the surcharge over Invoice come close to $900.

On X-Plan sales, the Dealer is required by Ford to show you the original copy of the Factory Invoice. On that Invoice is a box labeled "X-Plan". The price in that box is the X-Plan price. Then in addition to that, you would receive any publicly offered Incentives which you would normally qualify for. They would be deducted from the X-Plan price.

Did the Dealer show you the Invoice with the "X-Plan" box clearly visible? No hand written figures? No doctored copies of the Invoice? If they did not show you the original copy, they are not following Ford's rules, and you should find another Dealer to do business with.

Good luck with your negotiations. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

If you try getting one for invoice and not using an X plan PIN, watch out for the fees that they can charge you when you don't use the PIN. It might be better to use the PIN.

Very good point to remember!

For X-plan, there is the limit of $75 for documentation fees, and that is it. Nothing else is allowed to be added (well, except for your state's own fees for tax, registration, title, etc).

For a regular "invoice" sale, the dealer is free to then pad that price up all they want with all sorts of "required" extra fees. Well, they will keep padding it up and up, until you walk away.