Did you see McCain at the NASCAR race

4rd4life

Watched the race Sunday at New Hampshire and McCain and his wife were there, he spoke before the Grand Marshall gave the command to start their engines, then they spent time in the pits with Joe Gibbs and Toyota executives then went to Toyota's private suite, they were probably talking about how great of car his daughters Prius is, I'm glad he's looking out for American car companies.

And where was Obama? Hugging tree's somewhere? Covering up another gaff from Biden? :stirpot:

Wow, any possible angle or way to get a dig at somebody or something.

I heard McCain said he liked his toshiba tv too. And I saw him at a home depot buying something..maybe it was drugs! AAHH mccain is on drugs, must of been for the injuries from the detention camp.

And there you have it, McCain is a toyota loving/drugged out/box store freak, how can he be president!

Dem's are so pathetic.

And where was Obama? Hugging tree's somewhere? Covering up another gaff from Biden? :stirpot:

Wow, any possible angle or way to get a dig at somebody or something.

I heard McCain said he liked his toshiba tv too. And I saw him at a home depot buying something..maybe it was drugs! AAHH mccain is on drugs, must of been for the injuries from the detention camp.

And there you have it, McCain is a toyota loving/drugged out/box store freak, how can he be president!

Dem's are so pathetic.

dems maybe pathetic, but why the screen name going broke? trickle down economics haven't reached you yet?

:hysterical: So very true.

Yet so very wrong!!! All you guys need to do is pay a little attention.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

Time and time again, anyone reading the mainstream news or reading articles on the Internet will read the claim that President Clinton not only balanced the budget, but had a surplus. This is then used as an argument to further highlight the fiscal irresponsibility of the federal government under the Bush administration.

The claim is generally made that Clinton had a surplus of $69 billion in FY1998, $123 billion in FY1999 and $230 billion in FY2000 . In that same link, Clinton claimed that the national debt had been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years, presumably FY1998, FY1999, and FY2000--though, interestingly, $360 billion is not the sum of the alleged surpluses of the three years in question ($69B + $123B + $230B = $422B, not $360B).

While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it is aggravating seeing Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus. It never happened. There was never a surplus and the cold hard facts support that position. In fact, far from a $360 billion reduction in the national debt in FY1998-FY2000, there was an increase of $281 billion.

Verifying this is as simple as accessing the U.S. Treasury website where the national debt is updated daily and a history of the debt since January 1993 can be obtained. Considering the government's fiscal year ends on the last day of September each year, and considering Clinton's budget proposal in 1993 took effect in October 1993 and concluded September 1994 (FY1994), here's the national debt at the end of each year of Clinton Budgets:

As is usually the case in claims such as this, it has to do with Washington doublespeak and political smoke and mirrors.

During the Clinton years, the total national debt increased every year. Only in Washington D.C. would that somehow be considered a "surplus."

Edited by fmccap

Yet so very wrong!!! All you guys need to do is pay a little attention.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

If not a true surplus, there was an operating surplus. That means that program spending was in surplus, but the debt service charges were not covered by the extra money. Even if it was only an operating surplus, thats not something any recent republican can say that they had.

So....The Republicans borrow and spend....and the Democrats tax and spend. Which is better?

Clinton was fortunate enough to be President during some good times. The last Bush was unlucky to be President in aftermath of 9/11.

I don't think it matters too much which party is in office. Neither seems to have the guts to do what it takes to balance the budget. Either thru taxes, or stimulative (tricke down) economic policies. It's politics as usual. I think mandatory term limits would help. For all Federal elected offices. Then....they wouldn't always be running for next election with their phony promises.

If anyone is looking to Washington for any of the solutions to anyone's problems....don't hold your breath.

If not a true surplus, there was an operating surplus. That means that program spending was in surplus, but the debt service charges were not covered by the extra money. Even if it was only an operating surplus, thats not something any recent republican can say that they had.

Where did the extra money go? Did they spend it? Once they do that isn't there no longer a surplus?

The only thing you can say in the end is that both parties are part of the problem.

Where did the extra money go? Did they spend it? Once they do that isn't there no longer a surplus?

The only thing you can say in the end is that both parties are part of the problem.

When you have an operating surplus there is no extra money. The money that there is goes to debt servicing, but it really doesn't do anything because its not enough to cover it. You right, a radical change is needed right now, and its either spending cuts or tax increases.

He created his own problems. It had nothing to do with being unlucky.

9/11 ended the business cycle that was so strong during most of the latter part of the Clinton administration, and our Country went into a severe recession during early 02. Bush had little control over this.

I happen to not like Bush over other issues.....his stance on abortion, stem cell research, promoting the religious right, mixing church and state in the school system and welfare systems, and all the rest of the agenda of the religious right. And his hell bent attitude that gets us into wars we cannot win. I believe our Country goes backward under Republicans.

I much prefer the administrtations of what we used to call a southern democrat. Someone conservative on fiscal issues, and moderate on social issues. Clinton almost fit this mold. I think he did a good job. Now our choices seem to be a right wing religious right leaning party or a liberal untested fix everything by spending left wing bunch. But I believe McCain....if he didn't have to pander to the right to get votes....on his own wouldn't be far off the mark of a southern democrat. He should be pared with someone like Joe Biden LOL.

Edited by Ralph Greene

When you have an operating surplus there is no extra money. The money that there is goes to debt servicing, but it really doesn't do anything because its not enough to cover it. You right, a radical change is needed right now, and its either spending cuts or tax increases.

Just one more little point, as of this year we would need a $230 BILLION dollar surplus just to pay for the interest on our national debt, just the interest. I think we will realize soon,sad to say but, GAME OVER.

Edited by fmccap

9/11 ended the business cycle that was so strong during most of the latter part of the Clinton administration, and our Country went into a severe recession during early 02. Bush had little control over this.

I happen to not like Bush over other issues.....his stance on abortion, stem cell research, promoting the religious right, mixing church and state in the school system and welfare systems, and all the rest of the agenda of the religious right. And his hell bent attitude that gets us into wars we cannot win. I believe our Country goes backward under Republicans.

I much prefer the administrtations of what we used to call a southern democrat. Someone conservative on fiscal issues, and moderate on social issues. Clinton almost fit this mold. I think he did a good job. Now our choices seem to be a right wing religious right leaning party or a liberal untested fix everything by spending left wing bunch. But I believe McCain....if he didn't have to pander to the right to get votes....on his own wouldn't be far off the mark of a southern democrat. He should be pared with someone like Joe Biden LOL.

I am a staunch Republican, but make a good point. Somewhere I heard recently the America is just right of center. Barrack Hussein Obama is FAAAAAAR left. Dems would have been much better off with Hillary. Maybe that is why the "Messiah" can only stay just barely ahead of McCain.