Ford to sell Mazda shares to insurers, others-media

SVT_MAN

http://uk.reuters.com/article/consumerprod...umerproducts-SP

TOKYO, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is finalising plans to sell shares in Mazda Motor Co (7261.T: Quote, Profile, Research) to about 20 Japanese firms, including insurers, and will likely outline the deal by next month, local media reported on Friday.

Ford does not want to sell Mazda shares to rival automakers because the two companies intend to continue their business partnership that include operations of jointly owned factories in Thailand, China, and the United States, the Mainichi said.

Ford has approached five nonlife insurers: Tokio Marine Holdings (8766.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group Holdings (8725.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Sompo Japan Insurance (8755.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Nipponkoa Insurance (8754.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Aioi Insurance (8761.T: Quote, Profile, Research), the Nikkei business daily said.

A better move would be for Ford to issue shares and sell them to Mazda. Ford would own Mazda and Mazda would own part of Ford. It would not dilute Ford shares that badly because Ford controls Mazda. This is the deal that Renault and Nissan has. When Ford has to issue dividends to Mazda, Mazda can invest them into product research for Ford or pay some of them back to Ford.

What are you talking about? I don't see any arrogance or racism in that story.

That is true, they can't put "No Gaijin" signs outside of Japan. Why has Mazda left Ford Credit? Why is Mazda sharing less and less with Ford? They both build 3.7 Duratecs, but they're not the same engine. These are just examples of Mazda drifting apart from Ford that saved it from the brink of destruction. Why would a niche automaker want to break free from a larger automaker that's willing to share technology and money? It doesn't make sense.

Who's to say it's entirely Ford's decision to sell it's stake in Mazda? Maybe it is not. That's how I look at this situation.

Edited by LincolnFan

That is true, they can't put "No Gaijin" signs outside of Japan. Why has Mazda left Ford Credit? Why is Mazda sharing less and less with Ford? They both build 3.7 Duratecs, but they're not the same engine. These are just examples of Mazda drifting apart from Ford that saved it from the brink of destruction. Why would a niche automaker want to break free from a larger automaker that's willing to share technology and money? It doesn't make sense.

Who's to say it's entirely Ford's decision to sell it's stake in Mazda? Maybe it is not. That's how I look at this situation.

Ford needs more cash so they can get through the bad times. If this helps prevent someone else coming in and buying them out like what Chrysler faces then that is what they have to do. Everything I have read up to this point says that Ford will still own some of the shares in the end and continue a partnership with Mazda. They just won't be a majority shareholder any longer. The Ford-Mazda technology and platform sharing will continue. Ford will just have a smaller stake in the company.

Notice Ford is selling shares to people that have nothing to do with the automotive world. The reason for this is so they can continue to be partners. Now if they were selling their shares to Toyota for example, then all ties would be cut. Ford used to own a smaller percent of Mazda then they do today, but they still shared things. Ford Courier pickup and Ford Probe are a couple of examples that I can think of.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I think Ford needs to sell shares to raise money, but they still want to maintain the current partnership with Mazda. They don't want to waste effort deciding what Mazda need to do. Mazda can run themselves, but share development of cars and components with Ford.