If GM, Ford, and Chrysler....

coupe3w

Wife asked the same question, my answer was old fords. If they go under don't expect to drive a new vehicle again. Jap shit is not allowed in my driveway. period!

I know this was bait to get people riled up, and shit like this works. Why would half of you go buy veh from the very companies that used a biased playing field to take out your own team????? WTF?? And you've already got another company in mind?? That's like saying if you and your wife of 30yr's break up who would you go after? And you have a ready response "oh her over there".

Very loyal indeed.

ps, to all those that will come back in attack mode, kiss my ass.

If anyone needs help with that answer, here's a site that may assist you. :shades:

Russian Brides

Hey... doesn't your wife have a say on what she wants to drive? :reading: You said Jap shit... :hysterical:

In a worse case scenario of chapter 7 for Ford then surely all that would happen is that Ford International would be sold off to the highest bidder along with the Ford brand name. Ford would then simply restart with it's HQ probably in Europe. Therefore you could always ship a Ford in.....Driving Toyota's products would be a last resort surely.

In a worse case scenario of chapter 7 for Ford then surely all that would happen is that Ford International would be sold off to the highest bidder along with the Ford brand name. Ford would then simply restart with it's HQ probably in Europe. Therefore you could always ship a Ford in.....Driving Toyota's products would be a last resort surely.

How exactly would Ford be able to sell off the Ford brand name if there was still a Ford of Europe? You surely must even confuse yourself at times.

How exactly would Ford be able to sell off the Ford brand name if there was still a Ford of Europe? You surely must even confuse yourself at times.

At one time Jag could only use the Vanden plas brand in the USA because Rover owned the rights to the brand in Europe. So it can be done. Daimler was at one time split between Jaguar in Britain and Mercedes everywhere else. Ford was once split between Ford and Ford UK (which was a seperate company for a while). BMC is still going in Turkey as BMC licensed the name years ago. There's a few examples if you look.

Why allow a German car but not a Japanese or Korean one? Just curious.

I just don't like them, and all the ones I have had experience with have been a turnoff. I don't like their elitist attitude about being perfect. They don't want to be a player in the market, they want to be the only maker in the market. They try too hard to dominate and run everyone else over to be #1.

For example, growing up my step mom had a early 80's accord, I think it was an 82. It had nothing but problems, was always stalling and not restarting, I pushed it out of intersections for her so many times. She still insists that it was a superior car to my dads taurus that went 200k with out ever stranding us, or having major problems. I think the worst problem was the a/c going out someplace near 200k.

She claims it was so advanced, it still had a carb and was always needing adjustment. Heck my dads 75 beetle, had factory bosch jettronic efi, and that car always started and ran fine, even if it was a bit slow. Truth is i think germans build a better driving car than asians.

She now has a camry that has got to be the most bland, gutless car ever built. But because consumer reports says it is fantastic that is what she drives.

I am ignorant I guess so I rely on you guru's to answer this. :shades:

Robert Reich is on tv tonite saying it might be best if the Big 3 declare bankruptcy and reorganize, as opposed to try and get get government loans. He cited the airline bankruptcy's as evidence that this could work.

So Ford is in a unique position because of the Class B stocks. So I take it that the Ford family also have to declare bankruptcy? How likely is this?

I just don't like them, and all the ones I have had experience with have been a turnoff. I don't like their elitist attitude about being perfect. They don't want to be a player in the market, they want to be the only maker in the market. They try too hard to dominate and run everyone else over to be #1.

That describes the Germans pretty well also, no?

I am ignorant I guess so I rely on you guru's to answer this. :shades:

Robert Reich is on tv tonite saying it might be best if the Big 3 declare bankruptcy and reorganize, as opposed to try and get get government loans. He cited the airline bankruptcy's as evidence that this could work.

So Ford is in a unique position because of the Class B stocks. So I take it that the Ford family also have to declare bankruptcy? How likely is this?

Ford's class B shares would become useless, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Ford family would have to declare bankruptcy. They are probably pretty wealthy, even without the class B shares to pad their portfolios.

That statement was used about the Big 3 in the '40s - '70s. :shades:

As a shareholder, I expect Ford and GM to live by that.

Edited by mettech

My first new car was in 1982. From 1974 to 1982 there wasn't a new car of any make that IMHO was worth it.

IF Ford went under (a big if, as the least likely of the Big 3 IMHO to fail at this point) I'd still buy used Fords.

Hell, I'll just keep my Mustang! It'll last forever if maintained properly. If I had to buy a new imported car.........probably a Mazda Miata.

My first new car was in 1982. From 1974 to 1982 there wasn't a new car of any make that IMHO was worth it.

IF Ford went under (a big if, as the least likely of the Big 3 IMHO to fail at this point) I'd still buy used Fords.

Hell, I'll just keep my Mustang! It'll last forever if maintained properly. If I had to buy a new imported car.........probably a Mazda Miata.

I agree. I do not think Ford is immune from going under - but if they do, it will because of one of the other Big 3 going under.

At this point that appears to be GM.

But who knows? Three years ago the press was saying it would be Ford - then Chrysler, then Chrysler, then GM then Ford then Chrysler and now GM and now - who knows.

I was talking to my dad today and we both agreed. We never would have ever thought we'd be talking about one of the Big 3 going under.