KTP area housing question

MTP_UAW

Now that only 28 of us are coming down from Michigan Truck, along with a shitload of launch related salaried folk, can someone recommend any reasonable areas to search for housing? By reasonable I mean where an hourly person can live with their means and still have an acre or two for dogs and kids to have room to play.

Now that only 28 of us are coming down from Michigan Truck, along with a shitload of launch related salaried folk, can someone recommend any reasonable areas to search for housing? By reasonable I mean where an hourly person can live with their means and still have an acre or two for dogs and kids to have room to play.

If you are wanting land, stay away from Jefferson County. Mt. Washington would probably be best. Oldham County has the best schools. You shouldn't have a problem finding what you need. Most of us live in Jefferson County. Hope this helps. Any other questions, would be glad to try and help.

Like the previous post said, KTP is in Jefferson Co and you wont get much land there. KTP is just a few minutes from Oldham Co, it has the best school system but is a bit more pricey. How far would you be willing to drive to work? Mt Washington ( Bullit Co) is about a 20 to 30 min drive to KTP. but you can get housing and land cheaper. Also consider Spencer Co/Taylorsville area. Also 20 to 30 min to KTP but lots of land in that area.

Good Luck and welcome to KTP.

Is this the final number? 28 from MTP coming to KTP? There are many of us at LAP that are wanting to transfer to KTP, so hopefull we will get our chance.

I live in Mt. Washington, great little town. You can look at Taylorsville...lots of land with the homes...Lookup and down I-64 (east of Shelbyville) and I-71 (Lagrange-north)...lots of small towns offering what you are looking for.

Is this the final number? 28 from MTP coming to KTP? There are many of us at LAP that are wanting to transfer to KTP, so hopefull we will get our chance.

I live in Mt. Washington, great little town. You can look at Taylorsville...lots of land with the homes...Lookup and down I-64 (east of Shelbyville) and I-71 (Lagrange-north)...lots of small towns offering what you are looking for.

Yes, 28 is what they said in the bulletin. The same bulletin also said that Wayne Assembly is not going to add a 3rd shift. I am sure that we'd have more than 28 coming down to KTP had they known that there'd be no 3rd shift added.

Thank you all for taking the time to post regarding housing.

What about living on the other side of the river...in Indiana? Would that be cheaper?

I would check in Indiana. With a drive of 30-40 miles, prices can be reasonable.

Also, Indiana income tax is only 3.4%. I recommend Harrison County, as you even get credit toward county tax for the Employment tax paid to Jefferson County, KY.

check: http://www.sira.org/

or: http://siramls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi...==&KeyRid=1

I live in Indiana. I'm from Louisville and to be honest I wouldn't move back. I'm about 12 miles from the river and it usually takes me 20 minutes to get to KTP in the mornings. On night shift you can double that due to traffic.

All kinds of new things are popping up around us. Bass Pro Shop opened a few years ago and it seems more and more stores and resturants are coming up as well. You also get more house for the money too IMO.

Bardstown, Ky is my pick of places to live. I lived there for 5yrs before moving to the city. It is 40miles to KTP. Land and homes are cheaper then Taylorsville, Mt Washington. If you don't mind driving and want a even smaller town with good school and lots of good hunting try Springfield or Lebanon. About an hour drive to Springfield and around 1:15 to Lebanon. I grew up in Lebanon until moving to Bardstown and then Louisville. If anyone needs a realitor let me know have some good friends that could help you out.

Whats the seniority of the 28 coming down. Just curious. Doesn't affect me but I know alot will want to know. Thanks I live in Oldham and wouldn't live anywhere else. Anywhere from 5-20 mins away from the plant and the best schools by far in the state. Alittle bit higher to live there but it's worth it. Good luck to ya.

Downtown has a few area's that are somewhat reasonable. They include Old Louisville, Highlands, Cherokee and Senaca Park's area, Germantown and etc. In Jefferson county the area's are Okalona, Fern Creek, Shively, J-Town and Fairdale to name a few.

In Bullitt County the two most common area's are Mount Washington and Hillview. Some of the other areas to look at are Spencer County, Nelson County, Oldaham County, Shelby County and Henry County all of which are in Kentucky.

The ones across the river are Jeffersonville, Clarksville, Charlestown and Sellersburg. All of these town's are in Clark County, Indiana.

New Albany, Galena, Lanesville and Georgetown. All of these town's are in Floyd County, Indiana.

Corydon which is located in Harrisson County, Indiana.

Everyone pays the Jefferson County employee tax. All of the Indiana residents gets to claim that on there taxes at the end of the year. All Jefferson County people are kinda stuck with it. The rest of the people in the other counties get's a credit on their taxes.

Property Taxes is something you might consider when you move down. Some of the area's are more higher than other's. Homes are reasonably priced. You will just have to get out and look around before you decide where to live. May I suggest that you spend the first month or so in a Hotel until you decide which house you want. If you have a RV, then I suggest you stay at a KOA site until you find that house you want. There is at least two KOA site in the area, not to mention some other type of RV parking around the area.

Edited by SOULJABOY

Yes, 28 is what they said in the bulletin. The same bulletin also said that Wayne Assembly is not going to add a 3rd shift. I am sure that we'd have more than 28 coming down to KTP had they known that there'd be no 3rd shift added.

Thank you all for taking the time to post regarding housing.

I think all of that is going to change because of the third shift that has been cancelled. I bet they open up buyouts again and transfers to KTP. :stats:

Hi MTP UAW!

I am a realtor and an employee of KTP. I would be happy to help you with any real estate needs you may have. Please contact me and we can make arrangements to show you some areas that might interest you. Drop me a note at MOORE4URHOME@aol.com. Welcome!

, can someone recommend any reasonable areas to search for housing? By reasonable I mean where an hourly person can live with their means and still have an acre or two for dogs and kids to have room to play.

Check out www.homesinlouisville.com You can search for property in the surrounding counties. If you are looking for 1 or more acres I recommend Spencer, Bullitt, Shelby, Henry or even Oldham Counties. As said before, Oldham has the best schools, but you definitely pay for it in taxes yearly, probably highest property taxes of the surrounding counties. Address for KTP is: 3001 Chamberlain Lane Louisville, KY 40241, may try map-questing properties to find out how long the drive would be.

try spencer county north end to keep the drive shorter hwy 155 (elk creek area). when you look at houses on the internet all houses in spencer county are labeled taylorsville. keep that in mind. i just moved to kentucky from georgia found this particular area apealing because of the large lots, alot of 1 plus acre lots in the subs. this area is mostly country, 25 min to both plants from here in case you transfer later like i did to lap. schools in oldham county are better most would say if that effects you, expect to pay a little more. indiana is cheaper i think but i dont recomend it. long story me the highway patrol you get it, now i stay on the kentucky side of the river. lol anyway i love ktp and kentucky hope it treats yall well. nice plant