Volvo AB Wants To Help Volvo Cars

zipnzap

Interesting... how much could they be of help? Somewhat of a partnership agreement?

Volvo trucks sales have gone through the floor, so I wonder how much of this is "we'd like to help but..." That may be unfair to Volvo trucks but there may be some national pride involved here. I think Ford really needs to offload Volvo if it can, but that will be difficult. Interestingly it looks like SAAB could be facing the final curtain with rumours that GM will close it. That may help Volvo a little bit.

Edited by TStag

Ford will probably offload Volvo within time, but to who? Possibly a Volvo AB and Renault joint ownership of Volvo Cars?

But who would want to take on Volvo right now? They are heavily dependant on Ford, they have an ageing line up and worse of all their margins appear to be too tight. Maybe the Chinese will buy them and SAAB....

Ford tried to sell Volvo car back to Volvo AB, last year/early this year, they said, "Thanks, but no thanks !")

I don't know why Volvo AB would want to own Volvo Cars. In any case, Volvo Cars need to be tied to some auto producer. They already have a lot invested into Ford platforms. The best deal for Volvo Cars would be to have 50% sold to someone like Volvo AB or a bank. Ford keeps the other 50%. Volvo to be run independant of Ford using Ford resources just like Mazda.

Now would be the time for Ford to use this as a way to get back into class 8 heavy trucks with a joint venture with Volvo truck.

I was thinking the same thing. Just, I would let Volvo build all the big trucks. Ford could supply some of their current vans and small trucks to Volvo dealers. Manybe do joint engineering on heavier cube vans and diesel engines.