UAW wants limits on carmakers' executive pay

If I want my kid to go to college I can choose to (1)start a saving for that only, (2) pray my child gets a scholorship or (3) re mortgage my house when the time comes. Which of those 3 options seems the most planed out to you ?

Could always just let your kid pay for it himself/herself...I see no problem with helping with college, but at the same time, its downright stupid to even think about footing the entire bill unless you want to be in debt the rest of your life. College loans suck (I dont have any), but why should you suffer unnessarly for your kid, who should be taking responisbity for their own life?

Oh BTW I was in the Military for four years and had my employeer help foot the bill for my degree

UAW wants limits on carmakers' executive pay

The Big Three U.S. automakers should tell Congress they will limit corporate pay, bonuses and severance packages in return for government loans, the president of the United Auto Workers union said on Sunday.

On CNN's "Late Edition," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said carmakers only need a loan to tide them over a tough period and insisted high union wages were not the key cause of waning sales at General Motors Corp and Chrysler LLC.

READ MORE HERE.

The CEO's should get together and form a union to protect their wages and benefits.

If I want my kid to go to college I can choose to (1)start a saving for that only, (2) pray my child gets a scholorship or (3) re mortgage my house when the time comes. Which of those 3 options seems the most planed out to you ?

Absolute, complete BS. My parents gave me food and shelter after I graduated high school - that's it. I went to a local college (worked and paid my own way) for 2 years. Then I transferred to UGA and finished my undergraduate degree. Bought my own car, worked full time and paid my own way. Had to get student loans the last 2 years for tuition - took me 5 years to pay them off. Big deal.

My son is 19. Hope Scholarship (funded by the lottery) pays for his tuition. We pay for his dorm room ($575/month) but he pays for everything else.

Anybody can afford college if they want to go.

Like others stated, your kid(s) can either pay for it themselves. An option you missed.

Otherwise you could always get a new job working at a University. I do, which myself and my immediate family (wife & kids) get FREE college tuition. And this isn't no small Community College, but a decently expensive and high quality academic institution. It is a Private Jesuit University, similar to Boston College, Gonzaga and Loyola for a few examples.

Which if you look in the background of my sig picture, you'll notice some of the campus townhomes (dorms) and our temporary bubble dome until our new 2nd Gym is finished being built.

So there are ways.

Edited by V8-X

Like others stated, your kid(s) can either pay for it themselves. An option you missed.

Otherwise you could always get a new job working at a University. I do, which myself and my immediate family (wife & kids) get FREE college tuition. And this isn't no small Community College, but a decently expensive and high quality academic institution. It is a Private Jesuit University, similar to Boston College, Gonzaga and Loyola for a few examples.

Which if you look in the background of my sig picture, you'll notice some of the campus townhomes (dorms) and our temporary bubble dome until our new 2nd Gym is finished being built.

So there are ways.

Wow, you work for a university and your wife and kids get FREE college tuition? And they talk about union workers benefits?

Wow, you work for a university and your wife and kids get FREE college tuition? And they talk about union workers benefits?

This is one of the few perks, but we have a few others.

Keep in mind, this is a Private University and this perk is why many people work here, making a much lower wage than they would in the publicly traded corporate sector.

My position alone outside the University could make roughly $20K+ more per year (and much much more for the Directors, AVP's and such), but I'd rather take the benefit of $14K-$20K worth of tuition each semester per child/wife. We still must pay for room & board (dorm) and meal plans, books, playing sports and any other service within the University, which can come out to another $3K-$10K per semester out of pocket, depending on what your child does.

Plus the working environment here is much better than that of the corporate world that I came from.

EDIT: If employed by the University prior to '95, your children also receive free tuition to the Private Jesuit all boys or all girls High Schools.

This perk is kind of the way the University attracts good workers who are used to making much more in the corporate world. Think of it kind of as the bonuses workers make or as stock options that you can receive elsewhere. This also provides the ability to promote from within. You know your employees are getting a quality education that you control and they are willing to stay with you for the wife/child aspect.

Edited by V8-X

Compare apples to apples, please.

A drug company must submit any new drug to extensive trials, and it essentially has a monopoly on that drug for an extended period. The drug is distributed to a limited audience and its use is monitored closely by physicians who provide instant feedback of any problems.

A defense contractor sells the thoroughly tested product to one customer, or a list of approved customers, and receives instant feedback from the final customer (the federal govermment).

There isn't much competition for these products. The final end-user can't easily take business elsewhere if the product is unsatisfactory. A completely different scenario from a product that is bought by customers from all walks of life and throughout the nation, and faces competitive products that can easily be bought as a substitute if the ownership experience proves to be unsatisfactory.

:hysterical:

You really think that if a drug fails, or a plane proves unpopular, or a wireless service pisses off a customer that those customers don't go elsewhere next time? It's the exact same situation with automakers.