Time for a Mercury crossover

Reigner92

I was looking at the new Mercury Milan and noticed that it shares a lot of physical characteristics with the Mercury Meta One concept. So I was thinking that if the new Milan proves to be successful, then Mercury should start producing the Meta One. Regardless of whether Mercury makes the Meta One or not, I do believe they need a crossover. I was just thinking that the Meta One concept might work as a crossover because although it was made in 2005(im not sure if i have the year right or not) It still looks new, and with the Milan's new face and build, I think it would be a smart play by Mercury.

Opinions?

I was looking at the new Mercury Milan and noticed that it shares a lot of physical characteristics with the Mercury Meta One concept. So I was thinking that if the new Milan proves to be successful, then Mercury should start producing the Meta One. Regardless of whether Mercury makes the Meta One or not, I do believe they need a crossover. I was just thinking that the Meta One concept might work as a crossover because although it was made in 2005(im not sure if i have the year right or not) It still looks new, and with the Milan's new face and build, I think it would be a smart play by Mercury.

Opinions?

Ford doesn't call them crossovers, but the Escape/Mariner are effectively crossovers already, as they were effectively based on the the updated Mazda 626 platform.

Opinions?

I'm attaching pics I drew of the Mercury Magellan (or Messenger), a Flex-based crossover.

Ford doesn't call them crossovers, but the Escape/Mariner are effectively crossovers already, as they were effectively based on the the updated Mazda 626 platform.

I thought they were now termed crossovers?

I thought I'd read (here?) that the Kuga was to become a Mercury as part of the "European Fords coming to this country" plan.

Is that not the case?

As Nick said, Kuga and Escape will merge, but I thought a Lincoln was to be based on them, rather than a Mercury. Or was that plan put on hold/scrapped?

post-28332-1228536760_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1228536777_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Opinions?

My opinion is that Mercury needs to go the way of the dodo :stirpot:

As Nick said, Kuga and Escape will merge, but I thought a Lincoln was to be based on them, rather than a Mercury. Or was that plan put on hold/scrapped?

While there is likely going to be a Lincoln based on the Kuga, it probably won't share much in the way of sheet metal. I would say it's very possible the Mariner will stick around as a more simply reskined version of the Escape/Kuga to sit alongside the more aggressively altered Lincoln version. After all, the Mariner is one of Mercury's more successful rebadges. No real reason to get rid of it.

While there is likely going to be a Lincoln based on the Kuga, it probably won't share much in the way of sheet metal. I would say it's very possible the Mariner will stick around as a more simply reskined version of the Escape/Kuga to sit alongside the more aggressively altered Lincoln version. After all, the Mariner is one of Mercury's more successful rebadges. No real reason to get rid of it.

I think I could go along with a plan like that. Although part of me thinks Escape should stay "truck-y" while Mariner and MKKuga should be more swoopy.

^ you've probably seen me say this elsewhere, Rmc

but imho the Lincoln MKG/Kuga will look a lot like a micro-MKT... a very car-like & classy crossover-ette

&

...After all, the Mariner is one of Mercury's more successful rebadges...

because the Mariner IS successful AND Merc is going for smaller vehicles,

I'd like to see 2 "Mariners":

- one based on the slightly stretched Lincoln but having 3 rows of seats instead of 2 (yeah the back row'd be just for kids)

- the other a country-club version of the Escape (just like NOW ;))

however

I've gone further and suggest

a lifestyle trucklet

&

a swoopy fastback 'sport-cross' a bit like a smaller X6

^ ^^ click for chops

if Merc won't have anything larger than the Milan

then they're gonna need MORE smaller vehicles!!!

&

the last two I mentioned/chopped could be done NOW on the current platform

^ you've probably seen me say this elsewhere, Rmc

but imho the Lincoln MKG/Kuga will look a lot like a micro-MKT... a very car-like & classy crossover-ette

a swoopy fastback 'sport-cross' a bit like a smaller X6

^ ^^ click for chops

Yeah, I'm sure the Lincoln one will look a lot like MKT, which I agree with. My statement above was meant more to say that the Mercury should be more swoopy than the Escape/Kuga.

And I like that Mercury "X6".