Out of the Pan into the Fire?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/?hpid=topnews

At the Senate Banking committee hearing with the heads of Detroit's Big Three automakers currently underway, Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) just asked a very provocative -- and completely unexpected -- question that garnered some unusually candid responses.

Bennett asked GM chief executive Rick Wagoner and Chrysler chief executive Bob Nardelli if they would accept the billions in government loans they seek if those loans came with the requirement that the two auto giants merge into one company.

"I would be very willing to look at that," GM's Wagoner said.

Nardelli was more emphatic: Though "the first job that would go would be mine, if [a merger with GM] meant that we would get money to save Chrysler and save the jobs of people who have worked there for 80-some years, I would do it."

lets see...lets make GM even bigger and more bloated so it fails even more specatorly a couple years down the road?

Robert Bennett, while probably the most personable member of the committee, also seemed to have the least amount of knowledge about the industry. Seems he got his entire briefing from the talking points of Edmunds.com.

Nope, more than likely he has read one of mhlm5's threads before we hijack them.

You know what this is turning into?

Some second grade stunt: 'What would you do for a dollar?'

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing but a big show.

The hypocrites in DC can't even do their own jobs correctly but now they are auto business experts? The only thing the DC clowns do well is finger point and grandstand.

I find it totally insane that the same people running this country into the dirt supposedly know what a good financial plan looks like.

Edited by Paul Selby