A Festivus for the Rest-of-Us

Why is there a nativity scene at the state capital anyway? Why is there a Festivus pole there?
Because Christmas is a federal holiday. Not that I agree with the religious display in a government building, but a federal holiday is a federal holiday I guess. The Festivus pole is absolutely hilarious in my opinion and kind of demeaning to the respect one should have for a state's capital. But it is the west coast. They love to step over the line there...

That's pretty much my opinion of it. Take them all down. There are plenty of private entities around to show their holiday spirit. Let them do it instead.

I have no problem with holiday spirit (christmas lights for example). I do have a problem with a body that is supposed to represent the freedom of all religion being seen to promote only certain groups.

In other news, the Supreme Court today ruled that there would be no nativity scene allowed on Parliament Hill in Canada. The ruling was not based on any religious grounds, but rather the fact that neither 3 wise men nor a virgin could be found. :hysterical:

We now return to our regularly scheduled programing....

And let us also say this: Christmas is a federal holiday because so many people would take off work for it anyway that it wouldn't be worth the effort to keep federal government offices open that day. This goes along the lines of making the day after the Super Bowl a federal holiday. :beerchug:

Edited by NickF1011

I don't see huge displays rolled out around federal buildings on Flag Day. :headscratch:

You probably can't see the forest for the trees either.

Could it be that they ARE flying a flag on a pole for flag day?

And when did that become a federal holiday in the USA? Why wasn't I notified? That would make it a 3 day weekend then. Would that be, that was why the boss told me if I didn't come in on Friday, not to even think about coming back on Monday? I thought that was going to be a 4 day weekend.

You probably can't see the forest for the trees either.

Could it be that they ARE flying a flag on a pole for flag day?

And when did that become a federal holiday in the USA? Why wasn't I notified? That would make it a 3 day weekend then. Would that be, that was why the boss told me if I didn't come in on Friday, not to even think about coming back on Monday? I thought that was going to be a 4 day weekend.

You don't get off work for every federal holiday. Federal holidays are just holidays recognized by the federal government. Pretty sure Arbor Day is a federal holiday also. I don't see them planting trees on Capitol Hill every Arbor Day.

And well, don't state capitols and such fly the flag EVERY day? What do they do special on Flag Day? Nothing I'm sure.

You're missing the point though. The government shouldn't do anything different for Christmas than it does for any other holiday. In fact, it should probably do less. Do they dress up the capitol for Yom Kippur? Where are the Ramadan displays?

You don't get off work for every federal holiday. Federal holidays are just holidays recognized by the federal government. Pretty sure Arbor Day is a federal holiday also. I don't see them planting trees on Capitol Hill every Arbor Day.

And well, don't state capitols and such fly the flag EVERY day? What do they do special on Flag Day? Nothing I'm sure.

You're missing the point though. The government shouldn't do anything different for Christmas than it does for any other holiday. In fact, it should probably do less. Do they dress up the capitol for Yom Kippur? Where are the Ramadan displays?

We all know why they do it. Anytime Christians don't get special treatment all hell breaks loose.

I don't see what's wrong with it. To your arguments that they don't decorate for other event, to my knowledge those other events traditionally don't have outdoor decorations; Hanukkah does and I know that the White House puts a giant menorah next to their giant inflatable Christmas tree every year.

I don't see what's wrong with it. To your arguments that they don't decorate for other event, to my knowledge those other events traditionally don't have outdoor decorations; Hanukkah does and I know that the White House puts a giant menorah next to their giant inflatable Christmas tree every year.

This country is, and always has been, a overwhelmingly Christian nation in all manner of law, culture, etc. Therefore, a nativity scene only states the obvious of the roots of our culture and country, and to insist on other meaningless additions like the statement put up in Washington state only shows how large the separation is between the ruling class and the people.

Just because a large percentage of people in government worship man-made idols (like themselves), does not change history. Maybe they need reminders that there is a greater power than those who make up the ruling class of our culture.

OMG. Giant inflatable lawn ornaments are so f*cking tacky...

This country is, and always has been, a overwhelmingly Christian nation in all manner of law, culture, etc. Therefore, a nativity scene only states the obvious of the roots of our culture and country, and to insist on other meaningless additions like the statement put up in Washington state only shows how large the separation is between the ruling class and the people.

Just because a large percentage of people in government worship man-made idols (like themselves), does not change history. Maybe they need reminders that there is a greater power than those who make up the ruling class of our culture.

Well said! People say they believe in not killing their neighbor and not stealing, even adultry is a crime and where do you think these came from? What did they use as a guide when they decided what was to be civil obedience in the USA and Canada as well as most other western countries? What was the basis to build on? What did they say when somebody asked where "don't covet they neibors wife" came from?

Yes contrary to popular revisionist history students, this country and many others were founded on Christian pricipals. To move to a new country then complain that YOUR religion isn't getting equal time or the country doesn't fit YOUR moral standards...maybe you shouldn't move to a country which you don't fit?

Move to a muslim country and see how far you get pushing Christianity.

I'm siding with goinbroke and taxman.

As far as I'm concerned everyone gets a Merry Christmas wish from me. Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings is just so dam retarded...unless its pretty obvious....like the guy with a name tag that says Rothenstein....he gets a happy Hanukkah.

I'm siding with goinbroke and taxman.

As far as I'm concerned everyone gets a Merry Christmas wish from me. Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings is just so dam retarded...unless its pretty obvious....like the guy with a name tag that says Rothenstein....he gets a happy Hanukkah.

Hmmm. I have a friend with the last name of Goldberg. How would you address him during the holiday season?