Possible New Lincoln Coupe?

Andrew L

I went to the Providence Auto Show here in RI to check out the new cars and started talking to a young guy (who worked in the section) about Mercury and the future of it.

I mentioned the new plan about how Mercury is to become a small premium brand and he said to me

Oh you must be thinking of the new Lincoln coupe that's going to debut at Detroit, the C i think its called.

Then I think he mentioned something about it based on the Fusion platform, so maybe a MKZ Coupe?

:ohsnap:

Thoughts?

Edited by Andrew L

I went to the Providence Auto Show here in RI to check out the new cars and started talking to a young guy (who worked in the section) about Mercury and the future of it.

I mentioned the new plan about how Mercury is to become a small premium brand and he said to me

Oh you must be thinking of the new Lincoln coupe that's going to debut at Detroit, the C i think its called.

Then I think he mentioned something about it based on the Fusion platform, so maybe a MKZ Coupe?

:ohsnap:

Thoughts?

At the CES show this week, Mullaly showed a video of possible Sync upgrades in the future; with EVA. In the video was the interior of a concept Lincoln vehicle that no one mentioned anything about.

I'm curious if that's the coup that was hinted at.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of days, but I'm not real good with patience right now!

its a dumb plan.

Ford hasn't been able to tackle the premium segment in over 10 years. They couldn't do it with Jag, LR or Volvo. They sure as heck couldn't do it with Lincoln. Any Lincoln success prior to Mulally was rebadged Ford trucks.

Many say that Phe premium group killed Ford because they took their eye off the ball trying to prop us the Euro brands. Any effort Ford puts into making Merc a premium, will be effort taken away from Lincoln.

its a dumb plan.

Ford hasn't been able to tackle the premium segment in over 10 years. They couldn't do it with Jag, LR or Volvo. They sure as heck couldn't do it with Lincoln. Any Lincoln success prior to Mulally was rebadged Ford trucks.

Many say that Phe premium group killed Ford because they took their eye off the ball trying to prop us the Euro brands. Any effort Ford puts into making Merc a premium, will be effort taken away from Lincoln.

I think the biggest piece of this puzzle lies in the definition of "premium." Personally, I don't think they mean as "premium" as many of you are thinking. I think they just mean a nice realtively upscale interior/exterior using good quality materials and a nice looking design, not necessarily at Merc or BMW levels though.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, but that doesn't mention the MKT at all, and we know it will be revealed tomorrow.

It does, but under Concepts, also in SUVs as the MKT Concept vehicle.

I'm guessing the Fusion coupe that was rumored by Ford two years ago is dead. Pity. I would've looked long and hard at a coupe based on that platform especially with th 3.5L V6 and AWD.

I believe so. I think sales (or lack thereof) of the Solara and Accord Coupe (would be Fusion's closest competitors) helped with that decision.