GM to make new Buick in Germany?

TomServo92

So, since turning Saturn into Opel failed miserably, the idea now is to turn Buick into Opel?

You must be kidding me.

You have got to be kidding me.

You absolutely positively have GOT to be kidding me.

GM's -----======NEW======------- idea is to try something that already failed, but with a different brand name?

Sure as shooting, we'll see some GM flak going on about how Buick is GM's new "import fighter" blah-blah-blah and sure as shooting it will fall flat on its face because Buick is NOT an import brand.

Geeeeminentlies. Does ANYONE at GM live in the real world?

Here's GM:

"We understand that we have a drinking problem. To address this problem we have stopped drinking whiskey. From now on, we will be drinking beer instead."

Edited by RichardJensen

Appropriately, GM made that manufacturing robot committing suicide Super Bowl commercial a few years ago.....maybe they were hinting at something?

Saturn was going to be Opel in the U.S. and Opel is(was) going to be sold in China as well along with Buick.

Opel's will be sold in Europe, they will be Buicks in China and the U.S. -- It will be GM's Midline cars they will be Holden's in Aust. and Vauxhall in the UK but they will basically be the same cars.

GM has basically consolidated the Opel/Buick/Saturn/Holden/Vauxhall worldwide into one division and will make the vehicles common. Badge engineering to the county so to speak.

Geeeeminentlies. Does ANYONE at GM live in the real world?

Here's GM:

"We understand that we have a drinking problem. To address this problem we have stopped drinking whiskey. From now on, we will be drinking beer instead."

No. If this is truly the path they are taking...look for GM bailout version 2.0 in the future. At that point the fedz will mandate (without proper lubing) that they make the Corvette into a golf car, and Gm will comply.

The problem with quitting whiskey is you have to then drink an enormous amount of beer for the same "quality experience".

Edited by the_spaniard

Anyone else old enough to remember Buick's Opel line in the 60's and 70's? It has been done before... didn't work any better that time either. :banghead:

Back in 1969, when my brother's bud bought a new Kadett fastback, I learned to drive a 4-speed. It was a nicely handling car and was great on gas and even moved out okay. I was driving my 1st car then, a 1963 Chrysler Newport el Leddo Sleddo.

So, since turning Saturn into Opel failed miserably, the idea now is to turn Buick into Opel?

You must be kidding me.

You have got to be kidding me.

You absolutely positively have GOT to be kidding me.

GM's -----======NEW======------- idea is to try something that already failed, but with a different brand name?

They've been doing that since 2005 with the "Oldsmobiling" of Buick. Same old FWD platforms, new names no one has heard of....Oldsmobile circa 1998 anyone?

Oldsmobile was a stronger import fighter than Buick, and that's not saying much.

Buick just five years ago boasted that they are "American tradition" -- wallowing steering, plush interiors, old school, etc.

Turning Buick into an import fighter is a terrible idea. However, introducing Buick to Europe with its own China-market product may not be a bad idea.