MT: first drive MKZ

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...rive/index.html

So how do all of these upgrades coalesce? Very well. Compared with the '09 car, the '10 MKZ strikes a handsomer pose, outside and certainly in. It rides smoother and quieter, seemingly on par with the benchmark ES. When the speed rises and the road squiggles, the MKZ sounds sweeter, responds quicker, and glides more gracefully. Not since the departed LS has there been a Lincoln this fun to drive. And, save for the MKS, there isn't a more lavish and sophisticated ride in the Lincoln lineup. Watch out, Lexus, Lincoln's making a charge.
Edited by blazerdude20

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great reveiw....but can it garnish conquest sales from a vehicle that has been established in the segment for ...how long? tough sell mes think....a newcomer has to have something relatively "groundbreaking" to attract Lexus loyalists....a slightly superior $180 cheaper alternative I don't think will cut the Mustard...and come on Linclon get a little more ballsy with the styling, plonking THE signature grill on the beak of EVERYTHING Lincoln is already getting passe....

great reveiw....but can it garnish conquest sales from a vehicle that has been established in the segment for ...how long?

Well, there's the opposite side of that coin also that says people may be getting tired of the same ol' same ol'. It's not easy staying on top. At the very least, I think the new MKZ will be able to maintain the market share it dug out for itself in its first few years, and will likely gobble up a bit more.

Well, there's the opposite side of that coin also that says people may be getting tired of the same ol' same ol'. It's not easy staying on top. At the very least, I think the new MKZ will be able to maintain the market share it dug out for itself in its first few years, and will likely gobble up a bit more.

oh no doubt...just see its exterior as another case of wasted oppurtunity conservatism.......it seems they bring out a KNOCKOUT concept ( Mk R ) and then get scared of utilizing even the SLIGHTEST piece of that vehicles WOW factor....so heres my scorecard ( relating to lincolns stylistic ventures ) MkS 8.0 outa 10, Mkz 6.5 snooze fest, MkT...8.5...BETTER! has some individuality even if I'm so so on the kickup...MkX....in need, backend great, front end ready......and we will leave the garish Navigator alone....

oh no doubt...just see its exterior as another case of wasted oppurtunity conservatism.......it seems they bring out a KNOCKOUT concept ( Mk R ) and then get scared of utilizing even the SLIGHTEST piece of that vehicles WOW factor....so heres my scorecard ( relating to lincolns stylistic ventures ) MkS 8.0 outa 10, Mkz 6.5 snooze fest, MkT...8.5...BETTER! has some individuality even if I'm so so on the kickup...MkX....in need, backend great, front end ready......and we will leave the garish Navigator alone....

Well, if you look at the MKZ's competitors in that segment, they tend to be on the pretty conservative side styling size also. The ES350 isn't exactly pushing the limits of design creativity either.

Well, if you look at the MKZ's competitors in that segment, they tend to be on the pretty conservative side styling size also. The ES350 isn't exactly pushing the limits of design creativity either.

thus my "wasted opportunity" comment...Ford could have taken this segment by the cajones and had everyone playing "Oh crap..."catchup...obviously the drivetrain and underpinnings are up to scratch...BUT...I for one want a hell of a lot more....hell the 2010 Fusion has more visual impact!....this watered down conservatism drives me nuts...and its a total cop out....BRING ON THE FIESTA! to hell with mainstream PUSH THE ENVELOPE! and dare to be different....

Interesting Observation. I want to comment on the Z... I've always thought Lincoln had such nice colours for their vehicles.. something about the tones, just conveys a sense of upscaleness to them. So today I'm waiting at a light and a Z is in front of me, Granted I might be biased, but just sitting their I enjoyed the back of the Z.

Now also later on my drive, Some road work is going on and a man directing traffic waves me thru and I watch him watch me. I had the X out and for just about 2 years old now, and only 3,800 miles on it, I get the looks, no matter where I go, it seems people recognize it's different and stare a little longer. You may wish to argue it was me their looking at, and I would want to agree with you, but in all honestly I still think it's the Lincoln.

Edited by Critic

Interesting Observation. I want to comment on the Z... I've always thought Lincoln had such nice colours for their vehicles.. something about the tones, just conveys a sense of upscaleness to them. So today I'm waiting at a light and a Z is in front of me, Granted I might be biased, but just sitting their I enjoyed the back of the Z.

Now also later on my drive, Some road work is going on and a man directing traffic waves me thru and I watch him watch me. I had the X out and for just about 2 years old now, and only 3,800 miles on it, I get the looks, no matter where I go, it seems people recognize it's different and stare a little longer. You may wish to argue it was me their looking at, and I would want to agree with you, but in all honestly I still think it's the Lincoln.

perhaps its the huge leaft arm hangin over the sill, toned from an abundance of 12oz curls with a huge tatto saying "YOUR Momma wuzz here"..........

thus my "wasted opportunity" comment...Ford could have taken this segment by the cajones and had everyone playing "Oh crap..."catchup...obviously the drivetrain and underpinnings are up to scratch...BUT...I for one want a hell of a lot more....hell the 2010 Fusion has more visual impact!....this watered down conservatism drives me nuts...and its a total cop out....BRING ON THE FIESTA! to hell with mainstream PUSH THE ENVELOPE! and dare to be different....

Well, I think the conservative styling in the segment is more in line with what customers in that segment are usually looking for though. Being too bold may end up alienating more customers than it brings in. It's something that needs to be weighed carefully by the marketing folk. Personally, I don't exactly find the MKZ to be bland looking in the least, though I would have liked to perhaps see a bit more uniqueness brought to the table with the Sport package.

Well, I think the conservative styling in the segment is more in line with what customers in that segment are usually looking for though. Being too bold may end up alienating more customers than it brings in. It's something that needs to be weighed carefully by the marketing folk. Personally, I don't exactly find the MKZ to be bland looking in the least, though I would have liked to perhaps see a bit more uniqueness brought to the table with the Sport package.

perhaps...but Lincoln should be targeting the "younger crowd"...its base is larger.....all they seem to be targeting stylistically is the loyalists...and we can't upset them with something daring can we, most of em have pacemakers!....sure hope they step when they Eco the S

Edited by Deanh

perhaps...but Lincoln should be targeting the "younger crowd"...its base is larger.....all they seem to be targeting stylistically is the loyalists...and we can't upset them with something daring can we, most of em have pacemakers!....sure hope they step when they Eco the S

Couldn't agree more. that was more than a disappointment when I got the X.. it has the same engine as the Edge. I want something extra. I'm paying for it. I want more. I want a hot-Rod-Lincoln. If the newer ones get a 3.7 Eco and the Ford gets the 3.5 good, but give the Lincoln something to justify the extra cost.

Lincoln is trying to recapture its current audience before it tries to go after another one. A smart move in my opinion. Do what you have experience doing, then experiment.

Lincoln is trying to recapture its current audience before it tries to go after another one. A smart move in my opinion. Do what you have experience doing, then experiment.

Note to Lincoln....current audience is SMALL with limited life expectency...opportunity to broaden the fan base.........VERY LARGE! deviate from your experience for catering to the "elder crowd" didn't help you in the past....get rid of the safety net...the OPPORTUNITY IS RIGHT THERE....

Note to Lincoln....current audience is SMALL with limited life expectency...opportunity to broaden the fan base.........VERY LARGE! deviate from your experience for catering to the "elder crowd" didn't help you in the past....get rid of the safety net...the OPPORTUNITY IS RIGHT THERE....

Note to Deanh. Current audience of "elders" is far larger than 20- or 30-somethings with enough money to buy luxury cars - even cheap ones. They are the fastest growing demographic in the U.S. Just because they eventually pass on doesn't mean they aren't going to be replaced by another generation of "elders". Not everyone who drives a BMW 3-series today is going to want a sport sedan when they are in their 60's and beyond. The "elder crowd" are also some of the most loyal customers you can have.

The more ballsy move, in my opinion, would be to just flat out admit that old people like your cars and cater to them. Not every brand needs to try to be "hip" and appeal to the latest generation of hip-hop lovin' iPod-ownin' fools.

Note to Deanh. Current audience of "elders" is far larger than 20- or 30-somethings with enough money to buy luxury cars - even cheap ones. They are the fastest growing demographic in the U.S. Just because they eventually pass on doesn't mean they aren't going to be replaced by another generation of "elders". Not everyone who drives a BMW 3-series today is going to want a sport sedan when they are in their 60's and beyond. The "elder crowd" are also some of the most loyal customers you can have.

The more ballsy move, in my opinion, would be to just flat out admit that old people like your cars and cater to them. Not every brand needs to try to be "hip" and appeal to the latest generation of hip-hop lovin' iPod-ownin' fools.

also the closest to passing away....Lincoln needs to appeal to other demographics rather than consistantly putting all their eggs in one basket as per their MO. just push the damn envelope a tad more....like I said ,,, they are close and embracing WITHOUT losing is the key....MKR gave a true glimpse...and as I also stated....very little of that concept has seen the light of day....I would NEVER have, (and still don't ) considered a lincoln until I saw that package....I looked and whispered..."FINALLY".....same with the new Taurus, Flex, Edge and Fiesta.....Fusion i'm not toatlly sold on the GRILL-er MONSTER...but at least its "bold" and not across the whole lineup ala "waterfall "

great reveiw....but can it garnish conquest sales from a vehicle that has been established in the segment for ...how long? tough sell mes think....a newcomer has to have something relatively "groundbreaking" to attract Lexus loyalists....a slightly superior $180 cheaper alternative I don't think will cut the Mustard...and come on Linclon get a little more ballsy with the styling, plonking THE signature grill on the beak of EVERYTHING Lincoln is already getting passe....

When the '10 MKZ starts at $34.5K; Doesn't it make more sense to spend the extra $5K and get an MKS?

When the older Zephyr (MKZ) debuted in 2006 it started under 30K. It undercut the Lexus ES & Acura TL by at least $4K. What has Ford added to justify the $4K price increase?

1- Sync -- $400 option at most other Fords.

2- Cooled Seats??-- It is standard on '09 MKZ. Anyhow it was $495 option which included heated washer fluid.

3- Bigger engine-- Compared to the 3.0L in 2006; then yes. But the 2007 MKZ had it and it started just over $30K.

I think the new '10 MKZ is $9-10K more than an equivalent '10 Ford Fusion V6 Sport which starts at $24K with Sync & leather seats. That in my mind is way too expensive.

also the closest to passing away....

See, that's just a stupid, stupid way to look at it. People who word it that way seem to think that once the current "elder people" die, there won't be any more "elder people". You and I are both hopefully one day going to be old and we may not want a car with a suspension as stiff as a BMW's or with looks that we aren't familiar with. Recapture THAT market, and THEN chase after the fringe markets where you haven't competed in the past.

The interior looks great, and I couldn't be happier with the addition of a Sport Pkg here....

You think the new '10 interior is better than your G35?? I still think the best interior in this class is the CTS.

I would call the new interior different from the outgoing model. Is it significantly more modern? Yes. More Luxurious? NO, It feels like any other mid size car interior. It doesn't have the feel of luxury car interior. IMHO, It doesn't look expensive.

See, that's just a stupid, stupid way to look at it. People who word it that way seem to think that once the current "elder people" die, there won't be any more "elder people". You and I are both hopefully one day going to be old and we may not want a car with a suspension as stiff as a BMW's or with looks that we aren't familiar with. Recapture THAT market, and THEN chase after the fringe markets where you haven't competed in the past.

I may get old, doesn't mean i'll settle for a stylistic yawnfest does it? .....and recapture what market?...it never really left, its numbers were/ are a damn joke as far as Lincoln is concerned because they have stuck to the tried and true too much!....would be interesting to see whom is purchasing the MkS and the like....guaranteed its sub their normal demographic ( Ma and Pa kettle )....why? because it was DIFFERENT for Lincoln, that "market" you keep refering too sure hasn't helped them in the past OR present has it?, hell Lincoln has been on its deathbed for how long ? ( well...aside from gran Marquis / Town cars, famous last purchase aquizitions....and Navigators with chainlink steering wheels and spinners..LOL!.. ) my point is deviate from the safety of the mainstream Lincoln railroad tracks...PUSH THE DAMN ENVELOPE...if done right it won't ward anyone off, in fact it may do the opposite and BROADEN the audience....nothing "stupid" about venturing beyond ones safety net...they seem to be doing it at Ford, and suceeding, so why reign the horses in here?....do you REALLY think releasing a MKR would have alienated ANYONE or broadened the target audience? The yawn factor is high at lincoln....( barring perhaps the S and T )...MORE missed opportunities IMO....

IMHO, it's a nice progression from the original Zephyr. It doesn't look Asian, and in today's economic climate, it doesn't make the statement of "I make too much money".

Dean, IMO, you'd be a lot happier with a 370 hp Z with the biggest tires and brakes they can fit. :)

IMHO, it's a nice progression from the original Zephyr. It doesn't look Asian, and in today's economic climate, it doesn't make the statement of "I make too much money".

Dean, IMO, you'd be a lot happier with a 370 hp Z with the biggest tires and brakes they can fit. :)

nah...I would take an SHO over that AND the Lincoln eqivilent...in my eyes it is a more sucessful styling exercise...