Ford goes it alone, and some investors like what they see

Link

First, Ford decided against asking for bailout loans. That turned out to be a P.R. coup, not only because it kept Henry Ford’s auto company away from the meddling hands of President Obama’s auto task force, but because it also sent a message to the American public that Ford was different -- a message that has gotten through in numerous public opinion polls.

Increasingly, people don’t think of the Big Three; instead they lump GM and Chrysler together, and either think of Ford on its own or, even better, compare it to Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co.

Except even Toyota (and I think Honda?) have received money from the Japanese government. Has Ford taken money yet from ANY government??

Pretty much all the German brands have either gotten bailouts or have at least asked for them too!

I may be early in asking this, but here we go:

Is it true to say that Ford is the only manufacturer that sells autos in the U.S. who hasn't asked for a bailout from a government from any country?

If not, how long until that's true?

Pretty much all the German brands have either gotten bailouts or have at least asked for them too!

I may be early in asking this, but here we go:

Is it true to say that Ford is the only manufacturer that sells autos in the U.S. who hasn't asked for a bailout from a government from any country?

Has Koenigsegg gotten a loan from the Swedish government yet? :D

Regardless, Ford has certainly cut a different swath....

Was at the local Ford dealer last night, and they had a couple '10 Fusions among the '09s and the new model really makes the old model look....... old.

No new Mustangs, but that doesn't really surprise me. I doubt a Ford dealership in the snowbelt would want their '10 allocation to start showing up in March. In fact, I think they only had one Mustang on the lot.

Edited by RichardJensen

Regardless, Ford has certainly cut a different swath....

Was at the local Ford dealer last night, and they had a couple '10 Fusions among the '09s and the new model really makes the old model look....... old.

No new Mustangs, but that doesn't really surprise me. I doubt a Ford dealership in the snowbelt would want their '10 allocation to start showing up in March. In fact, I think they only had one Mustang on the lot.

Maybe better to have only one parked on the showroom floor, that usually works as a good warm up.

As long as things don't get any worse with a possible bankruptcy of Chrysler or GM, and also assuming that things don't get any better with respect to sales, Ford will need some type of outside funding sometime during the first quarter of next year.

So Hyundai / Kia asked for bailouts ?? news to me.

depends if you consider currency manipulation and protectionist trade practices to be government bailout or not.

Of course there are those multi-millions in state subsidies for new plants in the states.