Louisville Update.

Does anybody have any updates on the retooling project going on at LAP? With the announcement about Ford pouring in a huge amount of cash into Mich Truck, will Louisville still get retooled or will Ford let LAP slip away?

Gettlefinger is going to retire, all the tricks in his bag for LAP are gone. I don't want anyone to lose their job, but I also don't like the politics that go into the bullcrap.

From everything that I read, LAP is going to retool and start production of the new vehicle (reported Kuga) in 2011. It was stated I believe by Bob King at the MTP event last week that LAP and WAP will be retooled. I think LAP will be ok even when Ron retires. I do question KC's long term though because of the distance it is from Michigan and many parts suppliers. I pray that I am wrong but thats what hurt Twin Cities, Norfolk and Atlanta. I think if the economy turns around and Ford starts making the projected profits, this could help KC because Ford would need the capacity. What ever happens we need to support our union because they will be there when Ford gives up on us.

From everything that I read, LAP is going to retool and start production of the new vehicle (reported Kuga) in 2011. It was stated I believe by Bob King at the MTP event last week that LAP and WAP will be retooled. I think LAP will be ok even when Ron retires. I do question KC's long term though because of the distance it is from Michigan and many parts suppliers. I pray that I am wrong but thats what hurt Twin Cities, Norfolk and Atlanta. I think if the economy turns around and Ford starts making the projected profits, this could help KC because Ford would need the capacity. What ever happens we need to support our union because they will be there when Ford gives up on us.

It's not MTP anymore, it's MAP which will be the new WAP, lol.

It depends on where you hear the rumors from. Our KC plant mgmt and union leaders tell us that KC will be the truck plant. Twin Cities is already slated to be closed, they announced that one more plant has to close and no one knows which one it is. Rumor is that this plant will be LAP.

It depends on where you hear the rumors from. Our KC plant mgmt and union leaders tell us that KC will be the truck plant. Twin Cities is already slated to be closed, they announced that one more plant has to close and no one knows which one it is. Rumor is that this plant will be LAP.

i don't know if we well see any more plant closings. sure hope not!!! KCAP would seem to be on the hot seat though. escape replacement will be built on the C2 platform, not sure what could fill the space there. truck production from there could likely be moved to DTP and KTP. thats worst case scenario of course. hopefully people start buying again and we can end all of this talk.

i don't know if we well see any more plant closings. sure hope not!!! KCAP would seem to be on the hot seat though. escape replacement will be built on the C2 platform, not sure what could fill the space there. truck production from there could likely be moved to DTP and KTP. thats worst case scenario of course. hopefully people start buying again and we can end all of this talk.

KCAP is really 2 plants, we build the F150 and the Escape. The Escape is leaving and a lot of frames can run on that line.

The good thing about KC is that Ford owns acres and acres of land and can invest. Several plants can't grow.

If KCAP closes, I'd take a buyout and let my hubby follow his product.

I heard two different rumors last week

1 Is that DTP's quality is way down, their JPH is down, and their paint is terrible, and Ford was moving the Platinum and all units that are to be painted black to KC.

2 The Escape was to be discontinued and replaced with the Kuga which was to be built at LAP but now Ford is not going to call it the Kuga it will be the redesigned Escape and it is rumored that it will stay in KC because of the issue of being able to follow your product and being they would be moving 100% production by contract that means 100% could follow their work.

The name thing happened because the flop of the Taurus / 500 / Taurus and they don't want to make the same mistake twice, when you have an established name and it's selling you roll with it.

Now like I said these are rumors I heard, but I do know that we were off last week and were off next week ( The Truck Side ) and all other down weeks have been canceled, and the last week we worked we were building a whole lot more, maybe twice as many crew and super cabs with moon roofs in the body shop, so it could be true DTP is losing some of their high end trucks.

All I got to say is Good Luck to everybody.

KCAP is really 2 plants, we build the F150 and the Escape. The Escape is leaving and a lot of frames can run on that line.

The good thing about KC is that Ford owns acres and acres of land and can invest. Several plants can't grow.

If KCAP closes, I'd take a buyout and let my hubby follow his product.

If there is no openings then no one is following there product... besides the Escape is being phased out and replaced so u cant follow that.

I heard two different rumors last week

1 Is that DTP's quality is way down, their JPH is down, and their paint is terrible, and Ford was moving the Platinum and all units that are to be painted black to KC.

2 The Escape was to be discontinued and replaced with the Kuga which was to be built at LAP but now Ford is not going to call it the Kuga it will be the redesigned Escape and it is rumored that it will stay in KC because of the issue of being able to follow your product and being they would be moving 100% production by contract that means 100% could follow their work.

The name thing happened because the flop of the Taurus / 500 / Taurus and they don't want to make the same mistake twice, when you have an established name and it's selling you roll with it.

Now like I said these are rumors I heard, but I do know that we were off last week and were off next week ( The Truck Side ) and all other down weeks have been canceled, and the last week we worked we were building a whole lot more, maybe twice as many crew and super cabs with moon roofs in the body shop, so it could be true DTP is losing some of their high end trucks.

All I got to say is Good Luck to everybody.

:stirpot: Motor Bay in the DTP has had it days of troubles which reflect your statement of quality concerns. . . If we are losing the Platinum to KC, maybe its because we've been in trials for the SVT Raptor, Harley and Lincoln Truck that have been passing through the system. . . Quality always takes a hit as many new people have arrived at the DTP (not making excuses LOL), but many have worked in plants that were not as physically demanding as they are here, though from what I came from ( 100 year old Mustang Plant ) the DTP is beautiful. . . Don't get me wrong, there are jobs here that are back breakers ( laying carpet for example ), but like all of us, we are pro's and finding ways to tolerate the load. That's what makes us UAW workers great. . . We should NEVER let anybody diminish us to being lazy or pampered. . . Glad to here your other down weeks have been canceled. . . Stay strong and focused. . . We will make it through these tough times. :shades:

Interesting. Our union rep said if the F-150 moved, those with senority could bump to wherever the truck went.

Read in the contract about transfer of operations. It reads a little different than what he is saying.

EDIT: Look at the "Transfer of Operations" letter of understanding on page 325 of the section IV contract book. It states that the number of employees eligible to be transferred with their product is up to the company.

Edited by Pioneer

Read in the contract about transfer of operations. It reads a little different than what he is saying.

EDIT: Look at the "Transfer of Operations" letter of understanding on page 325 of the section IV contract book. It states that the number of employees eligible to be transferred with their product is up to the company.

Thank you. My husband only has a few years before he retires, so he's really concerned. I just wish Ford would give us the courtesy to prepare for what we need to do. If LAP/KTP KCAP or DTP is a plant slated to be closed, we need to know. It's only fair.

Thank you. My husband only has a few years before he retires, so he's really concerned. I just wish Ford would give us the courtesy to prepare for what we need to do. If LAP/KTP KCAP or DTP is a plant slated to be closed, we need to know. It's only fair.

Not to sound like everybody else on this board, but DTP will not close. Simple reasons.

1. It's the newest, most flexible plant.

2. It has room on the property to have a second body-shop built to utilise it's flexibility. (old DAP building site)

3. Have plenty of room for subassemblies to be built up on-site. DEFT is losing a fuel tank, and DDMP is already building up the wheels/tires. Plenty of empty space.

4. Most, if not all, of the major stampings for the F-150 come from the Rouge site/area. Every single door, roof, and hood comes out of the stamping plant located right next door to the DTP body shop. All of the DAP's, fenders, and major box stampings come from Woodhaven except for the headboard. That is also from DSP. Dearborn stamping also makes a lot of the small parts for the '150.

5. It would take a very small investment to enable the plant to run the 8' box, and the body shop is already capable of running the standard cab. We already have the robots available for the 8' box. We only need the 2 new conveyors and 2 new bucks to assemble and carry the bodyside into the box line. All of the pallets can be modified to fit the longer bed.

6. Did I mention it was the newest plant?

I don't want anybody to lose their job, but the facts speak for themselves. The Rouge will not close as long as Ford makes the F-150. Hopefully truck sales pick up and no closings are needed. But, if sales do not, one plant is probably going to close or be retooled for another product.

Not to sound like everybody else on this board, but DTP will not close. Simple reasons.

2. It has room on the property to have a second body-shop built to utilise it's flexibility. (old DAP building site)

3. Have plenty of room for subassemblies to be built up on-site. DEFT is losing a fuel tank, and DDMP is already building up the wheels/tires. Plenty of empty space.

4. Most, if not all, of the major stampings for the F-150 come from the Rouge site/area. Every single door, roof, and hood comes out of the stamping plant located right next door to the DTP body shop. All of the DAP's, fenders, and major box stampings come from Woodhaven except for the headboard. That is also from DSP. Dearborn stamping also makes a lot of the small parts for the '150.

5. It would take a very small investment to enable the plant to run the 8' box, and the body shop is already capable of running the standard cab. We already have the robots available for the 8' box. We only need the 2 new conveyors and 2 new bucks to assemble and carry the bodyside into the box line. All of the pallets can be modified to fit the longer bed.

I don't want anybody to lose their job, but the facts speak for themselves. The Rouge will not close as long as Ford makes the F-150. Hopefully truck sales pick up and no closings are needed. But, if sales do not, one plant is probably going to close or be retooled for another product.

OR they could just do what GM is going to do and outsource everything to other countries then the U.S.

way to go UAW.....

I was going to say the same as you but ya beat me to it and your right plus the Rouge was where it began over 100 years ago and don't ever see them shutting this area down.

I was going to say the same as you but ya beat me to it and your right plus the Rouge was where it began over 100 years ago and don't ever see them shutting this area down.

Technical not 100 years yet

The Rouge Fires Up

Ford began buying the property that was to become the Rouge in 1915. In total, he acquired a 2,000-acre stretch of bottomland along the Rouge River.

The Rouge River property still was not earmarked for any particular use. Ford had even considered turning the land into a large bird sanctuary. That changed near the end of World War I, when Undersecretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt engaged Henry Ford to build boats.

In 1917, a three-story structure, Building B, was erected on the Rouge site to build Eagle Boats, warships intended to hunt down German submarines. Building B was the first substantial Rouge building and today serves as part of the Dearborn Assembly Plant.

Although the war ended before the Ford Eagle Boats ever went into action, the effort did allow Ford to widen the Rouge River substantially, presenting the possibility of bringing ore boats up the river.

The Rouge soon became the destination of massive Ford lake freighters filled with iron ore, coal, and limestone. The first coke oven battery went into operation in October of 1919, while blast furnaces were added in 1920 and 1922. Iron from the furnaces was transported directly to the foundry where it was poured into molds to make engine blocks, cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, and other automotive parts. The foundry covered 30 acres and was, at its inception, the largest on earth. In 1926 steelmaking furnaces and rolling mills were added. Eventually, the Rouge produced virtually every Model T component, but assembly of the Model T remained at Highland Park.

*source*

Sorry I had too :happy feet:

DTP is Bill Ford's pet place, that's true.

The thing is that DTP can't be secure- no one is. Ford doesn't care what the newest plant is or what the flexibility is, they turn it into a museum if they see fit.

I don't know where you work , but it must not be Michigan because everyone knows that DTP will be the last one standing. It is already a museum, plus a factory.

I don't know where you work , but it must not be Michigan because everyone knows that DTP will be the last one standing. It is already a museum, plus a factory.

Don't be fooled into a false sense of security. My uncle works out of the glass house in Detroit and he's said time and time again that Michigan isn't safe. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs, trust that. DTP could be the last mustang plant standing with a museum parked next to it.

There are NO safe plants at this time, all bets are off. Gettlefinger retired and Kentucky isn't safe anymore, either.