2010 Fusion Non-Hybrid Topics

transitman

Ahh... Didn't realize that... Most cars with collapsible back seats get them initiated from the back seat... That's a good change as it makes certain parts less vulnerable..

Thanks for that tid-bit!

If you have access to the back seat, you have access to the trunk release button, too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the locking glovebox goes, when is the last time Ford had a locking glovebox? Probably shouldn't have been a surprise. I understand you wanting that, but with the way the Fusion is presented giving you one convenient key/fob for everything - what key would you use to open the glovebox? The standard key; which your valet will have anyway and would be able to access that as well as the trunk. Oh well, I guess there isn't much you can do about that then.

As far as steering goes, all 2010 Fusions have electric steering except for the Sport.

Oh yeah and I am loving my new Fusion SE, I just drove it home last Wednesday.

Thanks. This is actually the first time I've bought a Ford. My last car had a separate valet key which did not work on the glove box. But again, it's not a major issue for me, just something I didn't realize until I needed it. It's not one of those things I think to look at when buying a car. Actually, of greater concern should be the center console, as this is where people will have their iPods or other portable electronic devices plugged in.

I've gotten more used to the steering. It's good/responsive; much better than the Prius. I did like the steering in the Sport I test drove better though.

I hear ya. Cool, well I'm glad you bought a Ford then and like it.

Yeah, the Sport is the only one with an ole fashioned hydraulic power steering pump, something that get inherited from the Duratec 35.

I actually am liking the electronic steering, but yes it definately has a different "feel" to it.

By the time I get to work all the shady parking spots are taken so I purchased a Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Sun Shade through autoanything.com. It fits perfectly top to bottom and side to side with only a small opening behind the mirror. There wasn't a listing for the 2010 but a 2009 Fusion shade fits great. Silver reflective on one side and a white plastic material on the other. It rolls up and has a Velcro strap for storage. Well worth the $39.95. I tried a $15.00 generic shade from O'Reilly's and it was loose, too big and didn't fit to my liking.

By the time I get to work all the shady parking spots are taken so I purchased a Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Sun Shade through autoanything.com. It fits perfectly top to bottom and side to side with only a small opening behind the mirror. There wasn't a listing for the 2010 but a 2009 Fusion shade fits great. Silver reflective on one side and a white plastic material on the other. It rolls up and has a Velcro strap for storage. Well worth the $39.95. I tried a $15.00 generic shade from O'Reilly's and it was loose, too big and didn't fit to my liking.

That looks very similar to the Canvasworks Heatshield sun shade I purchased. It just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it looks very similar and is supposed to be custom fit for the 2010 Fusion. I bought it at juicedhybrid.com (just came across it during a google search) but it will fit any 2010 Fusion.

I just finished installing splash guards. It turns out the same guards fit 2006 to 2010. The fronts fit nice and snug. The instructions illustrate to turn the front wheels out but I ended up taking them off so my drill was straight and level. Both fronts attach to the plastic wheel well liner and not into any metal, although when drilling the first hole, I nicked a piece of metal that is bent up from the lower front fender. As careful as I was on the second guard it happened again so I don't know if it's avoidable because of where the pre-drilled holes are on the guard. A small amount of primer on the nick hopefully will prevent rust. The rears don't fit as snug as I'd like. There's a small 1/4" gap between the guard and the 3/4" part of the fender that's in the wheel well. Before I committed to drilling I tried every possible position and no luck to reduce the gap. You have to drill two holes to attach, one into the fender on the bottom and one in the wheel well liner. I ended up not using the push in plugs because it put outward stress on the top screw. I'm not 100% satisfied with the fit of the rears, but it is what it is.

I just finished installing splash guards. It turns out the same guards fit 2006 to 2010. The fronts fit nice and snug. The instructions illustrate to turn the front wheels out but I ended up taking them off so my drill was straight and level. Both fronts attach to the plastic wheel well liner and not into any metal, although when drilling the first hole, I nicked a piece of metal that is bent up from the lower front fender. As careful as I was on the second guard it happened again so I don't know if it's avoidable because of where the pre-drilled holes are on the guard. A small amount of primer on the nick hopefully will prevent rust. The rears don't fit as snug as I'd like. There's a small 1/4" gap between the guard and the 3/4" part of the fender that's in the wheel well. Before I committed to drilling I tried every possible position and no luck to reduce the gap. You have to drill two holes to attach, one into the fender on the bottom and one in the wheel well liner. I ended up not using the push in plugs because it put outward stress on the top screw. I'm not 100% satisfied with the fit of the rears, but it is what it is.

Transit... You've got a sport right?

I'm just trying to figure out how these guards fit with the extra molding/skirt of the car especially on the front. The back's are equally somewhat the same as a standard but again... I'd like to see a bit more of that before I order the flaps (which I'd like to get before winter)...

Any pictures of it against the skirt would be appreicated...

Really love that "Fusion" impression on the flap itself... Sweet combination!

Also any pictures of how the flaps look entirely from the back? Both in view, as well as a full side view of the car with the flaps on?

I'm just trying to figure out how these guards fit with the extra molding/skirt of the car especially on the front. The back's are equally somewhat the same as a standard but again... I'd like to see a bit more of that before I order the flaps (which I'd like to get before winter)...

Also any pictures of how the flaps look entirely from the back? Both in view, as well as a full side view of the car with the flaps on?

I have an SEL. I'll post some additional pics later today.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a 4486 mile trip. I drove the western portion of the Lincoln Highway from Nevada, Iowa to San Francisco. My overall average mpg was 36.0!, 124.54 gallons and 4486 miles.That may be off by a few tenths because I estimated the amount of fuel used after my final fill up, but GREAT mileage non the less. At one point doing 65 mph on Nevada Hwy 50 it read 40.2 mpg. I kept it around 60 to 65 most the way out, except when I was on dirt roads, which there were a lot of in western Utah and eastern Nevada. On my way home on I-80 I kept it at 70 to 75 (I believe the speedo is off by 2 mph) and got between 34 and 36 mpg. Through the mountains it would vary from 32 to 36, on the flats 36 to 38 mpg. When I ran the A/C it dropped to 33 at 75 mph. I bet if I had the patience to drive 55 or 60 I could have got 40 to 42+ mpg through the desert. It was so comfortable to drive and quiet. I found a good way to keep the interior ventilated when not using the A/C, open the sunroof vent and crack the passenger side rear window about an inch. Air circulated around the interior keeping me cool, until it got to 95 to 105 degrees. I washed the car last night and it took all morning to clean off the bugs. I found only one very small paint chip near the rear wheel well. Unfortunately, the grill took a few hits. Nothing major, it just shows the wear of a long road trip. I can't wait for next summer when I'll drive the eastern portion from Times Square to Iowa.

I just returned from a 4486 mile trip. I drove the western portion of the Lincoln Highway from Nevada, Iowa to San Francisco. My overall average mpg was 36.0!, 124.54 gallons and 4486 miles.That may be off by a few tenths because I estimated the amount of fuel used after my final fill up, but GREAT mileage non the less. At one point doing 65 mph on Nevada Hwy 50 it read 40.2 mpg. I kept it around 60 to 65 most the way out, except when I was on dirt roads, which there were a lot of in western Utah and eastern Nevada. On my way home on I-80 I kept it at 70 to 75 (I believe the speedo is off by 2 mph) and got between 34 and 36 mpg. Through the mountains it would vary from 32 to 36, on the flats 36 to 38 mpg. When I ran the A/C it dropped to 33 at 75 mph. I bet if I had the patience to drive 55 or 60 I could have got 40 to 42+ mpg through the desert. It was so comfortable to drive and quiet. I found a good way to keep the interior ventilated when not using the A/C, open the sunroof vent and crack the passenger side rear window about an inch. Air circulated around the interior keeping me cool, until it got to 95 to 105 degrees. I washed the car last night and it took all morning to clean off the bugs. I found only one very small paint chip near the rear wheel well. Unfortunately, the grill took a few hits. Nothing major, it just shows the wear of a long road trip. I can't wait for next summer when I'll drive the eastern portion from Times Square to Iowa.

That is damn near Prius mileage!

Thanks for the update. You are making it more and more easy for me to decide on a 2010 I4 SEL.

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if the additonal skirt on the fusion sport model has the same cut out as the standard wheel molding desing? Just that it is extended furhter down on the car?

I really like the looks of these molded mud flaps but don't want to see any gaps if the molding is truely different on the front... And the flat flaps just doen't look as cool... As I'd really like to get of them that go around as shown in the pictures above.

Looks awesome and the additional protection from stones and slush is just want I'd like to have in the winter time...

If anyone had the answer to this question, please post it here... As I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the additonal skirt on the fusion sport model has the same cut out as the standard wheel molding desing? Just that it is extended furhter down on the car?

I really like the looks of these molded mud flaps but don't want to see any gaps if the molding is truely different on the front... And the flat flaps just doen't look as cool... As I'd really like to get of them that go around as shown in the pictures above.

Looks awesome and the additional protection from stones and slush is just want I'd like to have in the winter time...

If anyone had the answer to this question, please post it here... As I'd love to know!

Thanks!

All I can tell you is I inquired about splash guards for my '10 SEL and was told Ford has nothing (yet) that will fit this car. I rec'd this e-mail response from Ford Parts Direct:

The Fusion is a brand new car for 2010, and apparently Ford isn't up to

speed on new splash guards yet. I've sent an inquiry to Ford's accessory

people asking for some /any information they might have about this. I'll try

to let you know when I get a response from Ford, but feel free to send

another query in a couple of weeks. Thank you.

Scott

Ford Parts Direct

Customer Support Team

Feel free to e-mail Scott at support@fordpartsdirect.com

All I can tell you is I inquired about splash guards for my '10 SEL and was told Ford has nothing (yet) that will fit this car. I rec'd this e-mail response from Ford Parts Direct:

The Fusion is a brand new car for 2010, and apparently Ford isn't up to

speed on new splash guards yet. I've sent an inquiry to Ford's accessory

people asking for some /any information they might have about this. I'll try

to let you know when I get a response from Ford, but feel free to send

another query in a couple of weeks. Thank you.

Scott

Ford Parts Direct

Customer Support Team

Feel free to e-mail Scott at support@fordpartsdirect.com

The Ford accessory web site lists the splash guards fit 2006-2010. The box and packaging also stated it fits 2006-2010. When I installed mine the fronts are a perfect fit but rears didn't fit quite right leaving a small gap between the guard and the rear fender portion of the wheel well. A co-worker drove his 09 Fusion to the office and I noticed the design of the lower fender behind the wheel is different. On the earlier models the fender behind the wheel curves in whereas the 2010's is straight down. The splash guards I installed are molded to fit the inward curve. I'm wondering why Ford would state they fit the 2010 when they clearly don't. I'm glad I had something on my trip because I drove on a lot of dirt roads and something was better than nothing. When and if a new design comes out I'll take up free replacements with the parts department at the dealer.

After a trip where I traveled on dirt roads I had to do a pretty thorough detailing to clean the dust. I was cleaning behind the rubber moldings at the bottom of the doors and noticed the bottoms of my driver's side doors above the rubber weatherstrip weren't painted, primer only. The passenger side doors were better but still had spots of primer showing. A friend had a the same issue with his new 09

F-150. I spoke with my salesman today and without skipping a beat asked when can I bring it in. It seemed he was already aware this problem exists. Being the skeptic I am, I wonder if this is a deliberate move to save paint and $$. It isn't much paint for one car but add it up for thousands of cars and it becomes significant. The few who notice it get it fixed and the one's who don't wonder why the doors rusted out so soon. Check the bottom of your doors, it's a warranty issue so it is no cost to repair.

noticed the bottoms of my driver's side doors above the rubber weatherstrip weren't painted, primer only. The passenger side doors were better but still had spots of primer showing.

the one's who don't wonder why the doors rusted out so soon.

Hello - primer IS paint. It would only rust if it was bare metal. It should be fixed but it's probably just a problem with the robotic painter.

Hello - primer IS paint. It would only rust if it was bare metal. It should be fixed but it's probably just a problem with the robotic painter.

Hello - Primer is a type of paint but doesn't contain the same binders as paint. It's not as durable as paint and it doesn't have the same protective properties as pigmented paint. It's applied to assist in the adhesion of paint to the metal. The same problem with the robot could occur with the primer coat leaving exposed metal and leading to a rust issue. Plus, this should have been caught in the quality control phase and the robot should have been re-programed to top coat all surfaces. How many Sport Blue cars went out the door before they discovered the problem? Unless they assumed everything is OK, clean the lines, add the new color and the next sequence of cars aren't fully painted either. I think this is a fairly serious quality issue. My dealer is going to fix the problem but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Edited by transitman

I think this is a fairly serious quality issue. My dealer is going to fix the problem but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

It's a very serious quality CONTROL and cosmetic issue. A primered door panel is not going to rust.