Ford CEO delivers millionth Sync-equipped car to Microsoft CEO

It's impressive but I wish Ford would have partnered with anyone but Microsoft. That being said I'm buying a Ford with Sync DESPITE it BEING A MS PRODUCT. I just hope it's not a POS like their Operating systems.

What are you a Linux Snob or Apple Whore instead? Your coming across like you don't know jackshit and are just bashing MS to Bash them because they are "The Man"

AFAIK there hasn't been any issues with Sync

What are you a Linux Snob or Apple Whore instead? Your coming across like you don't know jackshit and are just bashing MS to Bash them because they are "The Man"

Actually Both. But I make my living working on MS's substandard operating systems since DOS, Windows 3.1, NT, 2k, 2k3, etc. So, yes I know a thing or 2 about enterprise IT. Thanks for asking. They have put a nice roof over my head, nice cars in my driveways, and most recently Macs on my desks (ironic, isn't it?)

It wasn't until I branched out of the "MS Way" that I realized there were other, better ways to take care of computing. And guess what? They work better and more reliable than most things from Redmond.

That's good to know about not many issues with Sync - my next car will be a Ford and will have Sync so I want to know how well it works with my iPhone. I guess MS can do something right.

Edited by itguy09

That's good to know about not many issues with Sync - my next car will be a Ford and will have Sync so I want to know how well it works with my iPhone. I guess MS can do something right.

In regards to SYNC/iPhone, it'll play your songs, it'll do all the bluetooth, and will carry over all your contact info so you can do voice commands for calls, etc. It will not, however (at least to this point), read your text messages (yet, I'd assume a more iphone-friendly upgrade will come eventually).

On your iPhone screen, it'll say "this accessory not made for iPhone....." all you do is click NO (or nothing at all, just ignore it), and it works fine, except for the aforementioned text message reading feature.

Actually Both. But I make my living working on MS's substandard operating systems since DOS, Windows 3.1, NT, 2k, 2k3, etc. So, yes I know a thing or 2 about enterprise IT. Thanks for asking. They have put a nice roof over my head, nice cars in my driveways, and most recently Macs on my desks (ironic, isn't it?)

It wasn't until I branched out of the "MS Way" that I realized there were other, better ways to take care of computing. And guess what? They work better and more reliable than most things from Redmond.

I also do the same, but I'd much rather use Windows when it comes to every day tasks...IMO most Apple products are overpriced and overrated (and yes I have a Macbook Pro and a iPhone, which both crapped out in under a year of use on me!) and Linux is to far out there for the everyday user...

MS has had some stinkers out there (Win ME and Vista to a lesser extent), but for the most part they do work pretty well

It's impressive but I wish Ford would have partnered with anyone but Microsoft. That being said I'm buying a Ford with Sync DESPITE it BEING A MS PRODUCT. I just hope it's not a POS like their Operating systems.

MS Vista SP2 is now out.. :reading:

Granted, the architectures of RTLinux, VXWorks, and QNX (among others) may be more "elegant" than Windows CE's in certain ways. Nevertheless, CE version 6.0 R2 (used in Ford SYNC) is stable and considered a true RTOS.

Ford was wise to partner with Microsoft- Microsoft designed an entire platform (Microsoft Auto) that includes middleware, application cores/APIs, and drivers in addition to the OS. The platform also incorporates a reference hardware design that Ford used for SYNC. Moreover, Fiat/Magenti Marelli's Blue & Me, also based on Microsoft Auto, offered a "real-world" example of the platform's capabilities prior to the release of SYNC. Automotive News awarded the MS Auto platform a PACE Award earlier this year.

All in all, SYNC is a definite success story for both Ford and Microsoft.

I also do the same, but I'd much rather use Windows when it comes to every day tasks...IMO most Apple products are overpriced and overrated (and yes I have a Macbook Pro and a iPhone, which both crapped out in under a year of use on me!) and Linux is to far out there for the everyday user...

I agree on Linux for the everyday user - it's great for servers but still not 100% there for end users yet.

I've not found Apple products to be overrated and overpriced. When you do the comparison for like specs from a good manufacturer they are a little more expensive but not so much. However the reliability for me is where it's at and not having to worry about my laptop working correctly is a big plus. I close the lid, it goes to sleep, I open it, it wakes and I work. I go from wireless network to wireless network perfectly, and it just works. Not 100% (Nothing is), but closer to 100% than any version of Windows I've tried. And I've used them all on very good hardware.

Sucks that you had 2 bad products. A coworker got a bad unibody Macbook pro a couple months ago and mine had a hard drive go after about 2 months. For him it was in the first week so he just returned it. For me, I headed to the nearest Apple store for repair. Ended up getting a brand new laptop as an exchange from them. Only jokingly asked for it and the guy said "let me see what I can do". He came back with one in the box, opened it up, told me to have a look at it to make sure it was OK and then put mine in the box, gave me a receipt and sent me on my way. That's service and has kept me an Apple customer since 2002.

But, hey choices are good. I just wish Ford didn't partner with MS on Sync. That's me - most probably don't care. The good news is they didn't try to license BMW's iDrive. :)

Granted, the architectures of RTLinux, VXWorks, and QNX (among others) may be more "elegant" than Windows CE's in certain ways. Nevertheless, CE version 6.0 R2 (used in Ford SYNC) is stable and considered a true RTOS.

Ford was wise to partner with Microsoft- Microsoft designed an entire platform (Microsoft Auto) that includes middleware, application cores/APIs, and drivers in addition to the OS.

That's all fine and dandy but I still have little faith in any MS OS used in a critical application. Heck, there was recently a news item that some ATM's (running Windows) that were compromised and were infected with a piee of malware that was keeping card #'s and PIN's and transmitting them to criminals. All possible because of Windows. IIRC it was introduced by a tech that had an infected thumbdrive that was used for an update.

MS Auto may be a good platform but since it's based on Windows it shares a lot of the nastiness, just scaled down. God help the first company that tries to run engine management on Win CE.....

Hey, XP was (apart from all the security glitches) a pretty dang good operating system...... for Microsoft.

----

IMO, you don't have any 100% good solutions:

1) Windows--cheap, but horrible awful nightmarish evil human interface design--based, so it would seem, on a decidedly flawed corporate structure ('I'm going to make my mark!!! I'm going to be the guy who renames EVERY FRIKKIN' CONTROL PANEL ITEM')

2) Mac--awesome human interface design, solid OS---but requires buying into/being associated with/being expected to conform to the cult of Apple (and Steve Jobs).

3) Linux--great, if you love spending hours using Google because you have no idea how to do X, you can't figure out why it just did X, or you are looking for a program that does X.

I have an XP laptop, a Tiger desktop, a production server running redhat and a development server running Solaris 10. Eventually the production server will be running Solaris, but I have to make some serious decisions about where I'm going as a developer over the next few years.