Quick Spin: 2010 Transit Connect

Gotta agree nobody here likes paying 70% in taxes on unleaded fuels and more tax on diesel thats why a lot of youngsters don't bother with cars and are anti-car, insurance for a young 18 year old can be has high as $3,000 just a little second hand FWD shitbox.

Most youngsters use the bus or tube in London.

Gotta say l don't know how much a diesel v gasoline Transit Connect would cost here, because Ford gave up on selling the gasoline version years ago. But if you compare the price of a Fiesta diesel to gasoline with the same sized engine, the diesel Fiesta is just a little bit cheaper to buy new.

North Sea oil production peaked at the start of this decade and we see a massive dip in supplies come 2014. So maybe the tax will act as buffer when the price soars.

Diesel used to be a lot lot cheaper in Europe until diesel cars that everybody here said would not take off did, and the refinery production could not keep up with demand. India have built and got a lot diesel refineries planned for the future so the price will come down in the future.

You are a bit out of touch with US diesel prices JPD.

Current Average US oil prices

Regular unleaded - $2.619

Mid Unleaded - $2.781

Premium Unleaded - $2.880

Diesel $2.515

Gotta say JPD l think l would be green with envy at those US diesel prices if l lived in the USA.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

State by State prices

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.html

Quoth the Google:

2.51 (U.S. dollars per US gallon) = 0.414782842 British pounds per liter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a bit out of touch with US diesel prices JPD.

Current Average US oil prices

Regular unleaded - $2.619

Mid Unleaded - $2.781

Premium Unleaded - $2.880

Diesel $2.515

Gotta say JPD l think l would be green with envy at those US diesel prices if l lived in the USA.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

State by State prices

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.html

You're living in a country with high fuel taxes and keep looking at the USA in the wrong perspective,

fuel prices are much lower in the USA and at a certain level of fuel economy don't even enter the equation.

A transit Connect that still scores US22mpg in city running is comparable with the US Focus.

Sure the highway fuel economy should be better but I think Ford recognizes that and feels

it's not a deal breaker for Transit connect's American buyers.

Most Americans are happy if their vehicles can get 30 to 40 US mpg on the highway, forget about

quoting unavailable diesels getting much higher economy, the audience here on BON switches off.

That's 22mpg city/25mpg Hwy and in the USA, gasoline costs 46 pence/litre.

I see diesel is two times the price of US petrol FJM, does that mean it has to be two times as economical?

I sure would hate to buy those expensive diesels FJM, how much more than a petrol engine are they?

I guess the Ford North American executives know what they are doing FJM, we can only hope.

Diesel is cheaper in the US not double the price

US gutless gasoline Transit Connect returns a very poor 25 MPG on the highway, that is the reason nobody brought it here and Ford pulled the plug on it years ago in Europe.

You can only buy a diesel Transit Connect that returns 51-54 MPG (43 US MPG) on the highway here with bag loads of torque, you can no longer buy a gutless gasoline version in Europe..

http://europeanmotornews.com/2009/04/23/ne...-connect-range/

Ford Econetic Full sized diesel Transit van also returns 32 MPG on the highway.

LINK

Gotta say the Aussies did not last long in the twenty 20 JPD

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

You can only buy a diesel Transit Connect ... here

:snort:

You can also drive as fast as you want (Germany) or on the right (Britain) or naked (Sweden) or high on marijuana (Netherlands).

You can drive less than 20 miles and pass through three different countries (Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland; France, Andorra, Spain)

You can still buy brand new Citroens, Peugeots, Renaults, Alfa Romeos, Lancias, and Fiats--all of which flunked out of the US market.

You can, in short, do a lot of things in Europe you can't do in the United States.

So telling me what you can do in Europe really doesn't impress me much.

(because you can also visit Hitler's birthplace--as well as Tito's, Stalin's Lenin's, Ceaucescu's, Milosivic's, and Cromwell's--that bloody tyrant that the Brits turned into a hero--as well as literally DOZENS of sites where hundreds of thousands of people were killed either in short order--as in the Somme--or over the course of a few years--as at Auschwitz, not to mention any number of monuments to petty nationalism-----so spare me any hint of superiority----there's none to speak of).

(in eUROPE) You can only buy a diesel Transit Connect that returns 51-54 MPG (43 US MPG) on the highway here with bag loads of torque, you can no longer buy a gutless gasoline version in Europe..

Ford Econetic Full sized diesel Transit van also returns 32 MPG on the highway.

Apple and oranges

Those powertrains do not meet US emission standards.

Those vehicle do not meet US safety standards.

Anyways, I think 22 mpg city mileage is darned good for a spacious little van like Transit Connect.

That city figure is only about 2mpg less than what the Focus achieves (24 mpg)

51-55 UK MPG (43 US MPG) Diesel Connect is much better its double the gutless version with no torque to talk about US Connect :hysterical:

78 UK MPG Econetic diesel Euro Focus (65 US MPG) is much better than a diesel Connect in Europe

:snort:

You can also drive as fast as you want (Germany) or on the right (Britain) or naked (Sweden) or high on marijuana (Netherlands).

You can drive less than 20 miles and pass through three different countries (Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland; France, Andorra, Spain)

You can still buy brand new Citroens, Peugeots, Renaults, Alfa Romeos, Lancias, and Fiats--all of which flunked out of the US market.

You can, in short, do a lot of things in Europe you can't do in the United States.

So telling me what you can do in Europe really doesn't impress me much.

(because you can also visit Hitler's birthplace--as well as Tito's, Stalin's Lenin's, Ceaucescu's, T-Stag bored 10,000's to death, Milosivic's, and Cromwell's--that bloody tyrant that the Brits turned into a hero--as well as literally DOZENS of sites where hundreds of thousands of people were killed either in short order--as in the Somme--or over the course of a few years--as at Auschwitz, not to mention any number of monuments to petty nationalism-----hint of superiority T-STAG----there's none to speak of).

:boring:

But you get crap MPG Richard :hysterical: