Fiat 500 wins 2009 World Design Car of the Year

The Fiat 500 has been selected as the 2009 Design Car of the Year after judging from 59 journalists around the world and four international design experts placed it above 51 short listed cars in this year's competition.

The Final round of judging took place at the New York International Motor Show and the Fiat 500 eventually took the top design prize, beating fellow finalists, the Citroen C5 and Jaguar XF. The final decision rested with four design experts; Silvia Baruffali, Editorial Director of Auto & Design magazine, Robert Cumberford, design critic and journalist for Automobile and Auto & Design magazines, Akira Fujimoto, Editor-in-Chief of Car Styling magazine and Tom Matano, Executive Director of the School of Industrial Design at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

LINK

FIAT 500 Movie Star

cars16.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Fiat 500 got voted the most sexiest car ever made in a Top Gear poll.

ff5e0745.jpg

Top Gear conducted a survey to find the Sexiest Car in the World, the results of which appear in the recently released September issue. The results: the Fiat 500 is the Sexiest Car in the World.The Fiat 500 earned the provocative title ahead of such vehicles as the Aston Martin DBS, Maserati Quattroporte, Alfa Brera and Ferrari Enzo. Apparently the Fiat 500 emits pheromones out its tailpipe, as we'd say the tiny micro mini makes a curious choice for hottest ride the world over. Top Gear editor James May says of the Fiat 500 that it, "advertises nothing about its owner, except that it's someone who doesn't need to try.

LINK

Fiat 500 has all the time in the world to take over the world, might do it in a few years maybe 20 it won't be trying to hard to do so as Hummers become dinosaurs and fossil fuel supplies run out.

:rolleyes: @ this whole thread.

As GM shutter plants on mass what was it 14 the other day, Fiat arrives on the scene creating lots of jobs for US workers to build lots those Design award winning Fiat 500's that will be swamping your roads holding you up in your Cobra, what you gonna say to your Girlfriend when she says "do you wanna come for a ride in my new 500 Nickie" (Gotta say l would like to see your face and hear your reply) :hysterical:

As GM shutter plants on mass what was it 14 the other day, Fiat arrives on the scene creating lots of jobs for US workers to build lots those Design award winning Fiat 500's that will be swamping your roads holding you up in your Cobra, what you gonna say to your Girlfriend when she says "do you wanna come for a ride in my new 500 Nickie" (Gotta say l would like to see your face and hear your reply) :hysterical:

My girlfriend prefers to drive my Cobra. She wouldn't be caught dead in something like a Fiat 500. :lol:

And how is Fiat "creating jobs" for US workers? Might be saving a token amount by keeping some Chrysler plants and showrooms operating, but I don't see the 500 being built here anytime soon....or ever really.

Fiat 500 got voted the most sexiest car ever made in a Top Gear poll.

Yeah, that's Top Gear......in Europe.

We don't like tiny cars here in America if you somehow haven't noticed by now. This is the land where you're beloved "classic" F-150 and Silverado are continually atop the sales charts, and if it weren't for gas prices, you'd probably see the SUVs still way up there. That thing is by no means "the sexiest car ever made." You wanna see one of the sexiest cars ever made, take a look at this:

Donated_FordGT.jpg

or these:

aston-martin-db9-f.jpg

or many others, but not a Fiat 500.

Edited by rmc523

We don't like tiny cars here in America if you somehow haven't noticed by now. This is the land where you're beloved "classic" F-150 and Silverado are continually atop the sales charts, and if it weren't for gas prices, you'd probably see the SUVs still way up there.

You bring up a good point there. Americans will only go into small cars when forced to by fuel prices. It sure won't be because we like them. As soon as a cheaper renewable fuel alternative comes around (which I'm convinced it will eventually), Americans will migrate right back to their big trucks and SUVs.

Yeah, that's Top Gear......in Europe.

We don't like tiny cars here in America if you somehow haven't noticed by now. This is the land where you're beloved "classic" F-150 and Silverado are continually atop the sales charts, and if it weren't for gas prices, you'd probably see the SUVs still way up there. That thing is by no means "the sexiest car ever made." You wanna see one of the sexiest cars ever made, take a look at this:

Donated_FordGT.jpg

or many others, but not a Fiat 500.

Cla :censored: sic Ford GT is awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome gotta you would be hard pressed to find a Brit that does not want one if they won the lottery.

My girlfriend prefers to drive my Cobra. She wouldn't be caught dead in something like a Fiat 500. :lol:

And how is Fiat "creating jobs" for US workers? Might be saving a token amount by keeping some Chrysler plants and showrooms operating, but I don't see the 500 being built here anytime soon....or ever really.

Gotta admit my wife does not like the Fiat 500 Nick.

You bring up a good point there. Americans will only go into small cars when forced to by fuel prices. It sure won't be because we like them. As soon as a cheaper renewable fuel alternative comes around (which I'm convinced it will eventually), Americans will migrate right back to their big trucks and SUVs.

I'm sure you're right. You can't really beat a giant SUV/truck when it comes to carrying things around on a whim. I mean even though likely a large percentage of the time, you're (an American) driving by yourself, it's nice to be able to carry more stuff or people if you have to unexpectedly - something little cars obviously struggle at. Sure there's small cars with quite a bit of room and nifty storage compartments and stuff, but they can't beat an Expedition EL or a F-450 (I used the most extreme examples there, lol) when it comes to carrying something and people in comfort. Americans like big cars, unless they're sports cars.....they're the exception to the "big American" rule.

Please, PLEASE crack open dictionary and learn a new word! :finger:

YES, PLEASE!!!

" I gotta say "

smileythrowup.gif

Yeah, that's a bit annoying too...

Well, not entirely true. There has to be small cars that people aspire to drive as opposed to being forced to drive. Case in point = Mini. The Mini brand sells well when gas is cheap or expensive. They took a double negative (exspensive, small car) and made one helluva positive.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Well, not entirely true. There has to be small cars that people aspire to drive as opposed to being forced to drive. Case in point = Mini. The Mini brand sells well when gas is cheap or expensive. They took a double negative (exspensive, small car) and made one helluva positive.

That fact that Mini is owned by BMW yields a certain "aspirational" aspect. I'm not sure Fiat has that going for it.

That fact that Mini is owned by BMW yields a certain "aspirational" aspect. I'm not sure Fiat has that going for it.

I've had to tell a few Mini owners that fact. Besides, it really makes no difference...I can't think of any Chrysler owners who bought their Neons because Mercedes owned them.

I've had to tell a few Mini owners that fact. Besides, it really makes no difference...I can't think of any Chrysler owners who bought their Neons because Mercedes owned them.

Didn't the Neon exist prior to Daimler buying Chrysler? Mercedes suddenly owning the parent company of that turd isn't going to magically imbue it with desirability. That's a poor comparison.

Fine..another rental fleet turd. No comparison to the Mini.

Thank you for proving my point.

Small cars will sell if you make people aspire to own them (hence the Caliber does not sell and the Mini does). It makes no difference who owns the company, if you make a small car that people actually want...it will sell.