Ford, Mercury improve quality. Lincoln drops.

Sorry Nick l missed your post on JD Power, Mini did quite well here but was not so good in the US but Lexus still finished up at the top on both sides of the pond.

Whilst the Ford in the US look to be improving quality, FOE seems to be slipping quite a lot. Maybe Alan Mulally needs to have a word Mr Flemings ear. Fix It Again Tony & Chrysler were the bottom two car makers here.

JD POWER RESULTS 2009 Top 29 Manufacturers

Ford 21st (15th 2008)

Volvo 9th (12th 2008)

19699419442.jpg

JD POWER TOP 100 CARS 2009

Fusion (Old Fiesta based mini MPV) 29th (29th 2008)

Mondeo 59th (36th 2008)

Focus 70th (52nd 2008)

Focus C-Max 83rd (59th 2008)

Fiesta 70th (75th 2008)

Ka 94th (77th 2008)

S Max 92nd (Never made Top 100 in 2008)

Galaxy 99th (Never made Top 100 in 2008)

1969941980.jpg

LINK JD POWER RESULTS 2009 EUROPEAN MODELS

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Thanks. I got religion on it a few years ago.

It's why I still use the ColdFusion framework I built from scratch instead of trying to learn and integrate the half dozen or so PHP modules it would take to duplicate its functionality.

Sometimes it sucks being a Microsoft developer. The new latest greatest thing comes out every other week seems like! You just never get really good at anything since you have to keep learning the newest technology. Maybe that's why I too use stuff I built several years ago. :)

This would be comforting if JD Power were credible.

How are they not?

Seeing that the RDS Group results commissioned by Ford seem to echo those of J.D. Power, I don't see anything to dismiss as unreliable. Frankly, there is no more credible source in the industry. Why else do you think this study is coveted so much by the media and the automakers?

Sometimes it sucks being a Microsoft developer. The new latest greatest thing comes out every other week seems like! You just never get really good at anything since you have to keep learning the newest technology. Maybe that's why I too use stuff I built several years ago. :)

Microsoft and great do not belong in the same sentence..... :)

It's easy to read too much into the JD Power numbers. Or, put another way, it is hard to glean a lot of meaningful information out of them. Part of it is the oddity of the methodology: "initial quality" covers all kinds of complaints, from annoying cupholders to suspension pieces falling out of the car, and gives them all equal weight. Also, the quality numbers are all so closely bunched together these days that slight statistical variations can make it look like one carmaker has suddenly shot up or down.

See this commentary from AutoNews--hardly the most critical voice out there (free registration required):

JD Power IQS

The most telling lessons here: The US automakers have gotten their act together because they are now essentially indistinguishable from the best of the competition in the eyes of the consumers. And with the closing of the quality gap, it becomes even more important for American makes to shine in terms of design and engineering.