Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested

TomServo92

It got plenty of love from Car and Driver and Motor Trend for handling better than the Prius, as if that's either a top hybrid priority or any sort of achievement.

from what i have read, theres not a lot of cars that don't drive better than the Prius, DC have you had some genuine hands on? Closest I've been is wondering if they are indeed braking or tapping the brake pedal in time with Beethovens Fifth

when your the best you always get picked on..miles and miles of trouble free experience with my accord..not 1 american car i ever owned could even compare to how well my honda is..i will never again buy another american passenger car with past experiences i have..of course i have common ground with trucks as my husbands dodge has been a great truck

when your the best you always get picked on..miles and miles of trouble free experience with my accord..not 1 american car i ever owned could even compare to how well my honda is..i will never again buy another american passenger car with past experiences i have..of course i have common ground with trucks as my husbands dodge has been a great truck

yup....I remember the Integra I had that had constant issues...then again thats an Acura not a Honda......and sorry Snooter, I think you are full of it....

yup....I remember the Integra I had that had constant issues...then again thats an Acura not a Honda......and sorry Snooter, I think you are full of it....

thats ok..i'm just trailer trash according to many here..no biggie...until detroit can build a car like my honda i will not be back..so detroit you have some work to do as i personally do not like buying foreign cars..but fact is they are built better

thats ok..i'm just trailer trash according to many here..no biggie...until detroit can build a car like my honda i will not be back..so detroit you have some work to do as i personally do not like buying foreign cars..but fact is they are built better

They are building cars like your Honda. My Fusion hasn't seen the dealership since I bought. It's been the most flawless car I've ever owned (and that includes an Acura).

I wouldn't stoop to that however it seems you do come with a purpose in mind, one purpose...to stir stuff up....they are NOT better, in your OPINION they are....but for every love song for an import YOU have I have the domestic equivilent, not so much Dodge, but definitely Gm and ford....and I also have multitudes of import disasters as well...and Ive owned em all....saying one is the absolute pinnicle is too sweeping a statement...witness the Insight beatdown from someone NOT in Hondas pocket, and TOTALLY contradictory evaluations of Yodas Edge look-a -like....you would do better to take each manufacturers models individually not blanket them ALL as the best based solely on brand.....

Edited by Deanh

If Honda hybrids are built better, they would not have needed to 1) discontinue the Accord Hybrid and 2) produce an Insight hybrid that is smaller and less fuel-efficient than the Prius. (Basically, it is only very slightly more fuel-efficient than the Fusion Hybrid, and the Fusion Hybrid's interior space is about 20% bigger. The Fusion Hybrid is also substantially safer, according to the NHTSA. (The IIHS doesn't have ratings for the Insight yet.)

I don't have enough personal experience to opine on the quality of Honda's engineering as to their gas-only models, but when I tested them, they are certainly far less comfortable than any Ford or GM car that I've been in -- and that includes the Focus, which I've had to take as dealership loaners on a few occasions -- so much so that I concluded that there was no way that I'd drive a Honda 160 miles per day. As far as the hybrids are concerned, Honda's designs are clearly technically inferior's to Ford's (and Toyota's) -- so much so that it's not even close. Is there a logical reason why I would or should want a car like your Honda?

Edited by nelsonlu

If Honda hybrids are built better, they would not have needed to 1) discontinue the Accord Hybrid and 2) produce an Insight hybrid that is smaller and less fuel-efficient than the Prius. (Basically, it is only very slightly more fuel-efficient than the Fusion Hybrid, and the Fusion Hybrid's interior space is about 20% bigger. The Fusion Hybrid is also substantially safer, according to the NHTSA. (The IIHS doesn't have ratings for the Insight yet.)

I don't have enough personal experience to opine on the quality of Honda's engineering as to their gas-only models, but when I tested them, they are certainly far less comfortable than any Ford or GM car that I've been in -- and that includes the Focus, which I've had to take as dealership loaners on a few occasions -- so much so that I concluded that there was no way that I'd drive a Honda 160 miles per day. As far as the hybrids are concerned, Honda's designs are clearly technically inferior's to Ford's (and Toyota's) -- so much so that it's not even close. Is there a logical reason why I would or should want a car like your Honda?

the only superiority I can vouch for is engine smoothness...not power, not MPG's...but they are/ were smooth, probably due to the Japanese belt rather than American cam chain. Black marks, road noise, torque steer and steering feel ( both Acuras ) ride was ok but thumpy and bodies were definitely tinny, the doors TWANGED when slammed, no thud or feeling of solidarity. BUT engines were buttery......especially in the CLS although the power didn't come till up the rev range....

There have been a number of owners reporting issues with the Civic and Insight Hybrid battery failing between the 80-100,000 mile range. This information can be found at the Greenhybrid.com site. Honda has actually redesigned their software and hardware in the hybrid vehicles of most recent years because of the multiple failings of their hybrid battery.

the only superiority I can vouch for is engine smoothness...not power, not MPG's...but they are/ were smooth, probably due to the Japanese belt rather than American cam chain. Black marks, road noise, torque steer and steering feel ( both Acuras ) ride was ok but thumpy and bodies were definitely tinny, the doors TWANGED when slammed, no thud or feeling of solidarity. BUT engines were buttery......especially in the CLS although the power didn't come till up the rev range....

I'll agree with that. The engines are smooth. Honda has that part down. I also whole-heartedly agree on the tinny bodies. The metal is very thin and my Acura had many, many small dents in it from some very minor rock hits and door dings. I've never had a Ford that dented that easily.

I'll agree with that. The engines are smooth. Honda has that part down. I also whole-heartedly agree on the tinny bodies. The metal is very thin and my Acura had many, many small dents in it from some very minor rock hits and door dings. I've never had a Ford that dented that easily.

ahhhh, but you never seem to hear anyone mention curb weight being an issue do you....co-incidence? or are all those "they use thinner gauge steel" rumours actually true?????? ironically my Supra was the same...tin can with a great engine....

Edited by Deanh

I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about any vehicle line-up across the board, whether it be Honda or Ford.

For me, Ford didn't have the vehicle I wanted at the times I have shopped. It's pretty much been that simple. It's not that I hate Fords or would never buy another one.

When I wanted a commuter car, I grabbed up the Civic coupe, because honestly, the 06 Focus I test drove was a lesser car (IMO).

I bought my Xterra because I needed something the right-size with some power and real off-road capability. The Explorer wasn't even in the running due to the nightmare issues we had with an 02 Explorer 4x4.

When I wanted a truck, I bought an F150. I didn't mind GM's engineering, but I never have liked the styling of their trucks. Ford has every base covered in my 2000 F150 (cept the trans).

Things have changed a bit now. I would seriously cozy up to an Edge if I didn't need the off-road capability. I would definitely consider a Euro-Focus/Fiesta now as well. If I can get something small with AWD and decent torque, I'm a happy guy.

Truck wise (if I ever need another) I would consider Ford my first pick, despite the fact I don't like the current-gen styling.

The thing I will agree on is Honda knows their engines. Butter-smooth. For those of you that don't like how "thin" the door sounds when you slam it, to each their own. I prefer small, lightweight, sporty cars myself. I'd take a 10 Mustang in a second, but I'd also take an 09 S2000 or Lotus Elise/Exige in that same second.

I think the great news for everyone is that Ford is finally producing vehicles that can compete, and exceed in some cases.

from what i have read, theres not a lot of cars that don't drive better than the Prius, DC have you had some genuine hands on? Closest I've been is wondering if they are indeed braking or tapping the brake pedal in time with Beethovens Fifth

I don't know if you misread me, but what I was saying was that it's no achievement to drive better than the Prius.

I'd expect, however, that the new Prius will drive better than the Insight -- I'm hoping for a test drive tomorrow.

I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about any vehicle line-up across the board, whether it be Honda or Ford.

For me, Ford didn't have the vehicle I wanted at the times I have shopped. It's pretty much been that simple. It's not that I hate Fords or would never buy another one.

When I wanted a commuter car, I grabbed up the Civic coupe, because honestly, the 06 Focus I test drove was a lesser car (IMO).

I bought my Xterra because I needed something the right-size with some power and real off-road capability. The Explorer wasn't even in the running due to the nightmare issues we had with an 02 Explorer 4x4.

When I wanted a truck, I bought an F150. I didn't mind GM's engineering, but I never have liked the styling of their trucks. Ford has every base covered in my 2000 F150 (cept the trans).

Things have changed a bit now. I would seriously cozy up to an Edge if I didn't need the off-road capability. I would definitely consider a Euro-Focus/Fiesta now as well. If I can get something small with AWD and decent torque, I'm a happy guy.

Truck wise (if I ever need another) I would consider Ford my first pick, despite the fact I don't like the current-gen styling.

The thing I will agree on is Honda knows their engines. Butter-smooth. For those of you that don't like how "thin" the door sounds when you slam it, to each their own. I prefer small, lightweight, sporty cars myself. I'd take a 10 Mustang in a second, but I'd also take an 09 S2000 or Lotus Elise/Exige in that same second.

I think the great news for everyone is that Ford is finally producing vehicles that can compete, and exceed in some cases.

+1, on the money....all manufacturers have their strengths and weakness's....but I really feel ford is rising to the surface, their weakness's are all being adressed...ie Explorer, Sports trac and yep, in my eyes the Focus...with either deletion or brand spankers...they are on a roll, seriously, name one othe manufacturer being as agressive with product as Ford....I can't think of one, Toyota seems to have become complacent with blandness, hondas not doing much and what they are doing is questionable...ie Insight...hell, I would go so far as to say Hyundai is being more progressive than most....

Thank you for contributing...your hole is calling.

I don't know if you misread me, but what I was saying was that it's no achievement to drive better than the Prius.

I'd expect, however, that the new Prius will drive better than the Insight -- I'm hoping for a test drive tomorrow.

keep us informed...sure would be nice to line them up with a fusion at the same time.....makre sure to gauge 0-60 figure 8 and G force figures.....and of course the obligatory BMW mention somewhere LOL!

Because its near the end of the day...and Netflix has is waiting for you :happy feet:

LOL!...I was refering to the a$$ talking scene.....( "your hole is calling".....sorry POTTY HUMOUR YEHAH! )"

Edited by Deanh

C&D raved about paddle shifters on this vehicle. 'Nuff said.....

Anyhow I test drove an Insight. Here were my thoughts:

- Gas-to-electric and electric-to-gas, transitions were far from smooth

- Forget about running in EV mode only, the electric motor in this vehicle is puny

- It was uncomfortable

- Someone tried too hard to make the interior of this vehicle look futuristic, instead the ergonomics are horrid and the interior is cheap

- The handling is lame

I'd rather drive a Fit.