Transit Connect, Electric Version

I am reading that the EV version of the Transit Connect will be hitting the dealers in Q2 of 2010. A conversion facility in Kansas will initially take Transit Connects, remove the combustion engine and related parts (and ship tham back to Turkey) and fit the EV drivetrain. Two different capacity battery packs are supposed to be available (70 mi and 100 mi approximate range). As production ramps up, glider kits (units less drivetrains) are to be shipped from Turkey to the facility in Kansas on cradles.

Hey Dean, have you heard anything on the dealership end on these?

I am reading that the EV version of the Transit Connect will be hitting the dealers in Q2 of 2010. A conversion facility in Kansas will initially take Transit Connects, remove the combustion engine and related parts (and ship tham back to Turkey) and fit the EV drivetrain...As production ramps up, glider kits (units less drivetrains) are to be shipped from Turkey to the facility in Kansas on cradles.

Does the article you read explain why the initial units will come from Turkey with the drivetrains intact, and the subsequent units will ship sans the drivetrain?

why the hell would you put all the "engines and related parts" into the damn things in the first place just to ship them back across the world

I would imagine it's to minimize investment into this hurried and risky venture. If they started out shipping 'gliders', they would have more than three months and potentially tens of thousands of units already in the pipeline by the time the first units reach their final production facility in the states to be re-manufactured.

What if they don't sell well? What if they don't work well enough?

By shipping complete units to the states, if the KC facility can't put together a satisfactory product, Ford dealers can just keep selling the TCs as regular gas powered units. Of course, if it all goes well, Ford will fill the pipeline with 'gliders', confident in their investment.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that's the reason.

Any other ideas?

I am reading that the EV version of the Transit Connect will be hitting the dealers in Q2 of 2010. A conversion facility in Kansas will initially take Transit Connects, remove the combustion engine and related parts (and ship tham back to Turkey) and fit the EV drivetrain. Two different capacity battery packs are supposed to be available (70 mi and 100 mi approximate range). As production ramps up, glider kits (units less drivetrains) are to be shipped from Turkey to the facility in Kansas on cradles.

Hey Dean, have you heard anything on the dealership end on these?

nuttin...just rumours...my take is like the Ranger EV's these will be overpriced but snapped up by municipalities for political brown-nosing..."Hey look, were GREEN!!!!!! ".....

I would imagine it's to minimize investment into this hurried and risky venture. If they started out shipping 'gliders', they would have more than three months and potentially tens of thousands of units already in the pipeline by the time the first units reach their final production facility in the states to be re-manufactured.

By shipping complete units to the states, if the KC facility can't put together a satisfactory product, Ford dealers can just keep selling the TCs as regular gas powered units. Of course, if it all goes well, Ford will fill the pipeline with 'gliders', confident in their investment.

Any other ideas?

You've got it. Inital units will be pulled from the existing product flow. When/if volume increases enough to justify the gliders, they will be put in the pipeline. There are also material handling issues - as the vehicles are driven onto and off of the ships, a glider just messes up the process the way a stalled car backs up a freeway during the rush.

nuttin...just rumours...my take is like the Ranger EV's these will be overpriced but snapped up by municipalities for political brown-nosing..."Hey look, were GREEN!!!!!! ".....

Hey, if they will pay the price, go for the sale. This can mean major "green" points for Ford, even if only a small number are sold. Ford may be the first major with a production EV on the floor, and a commercial vehicle to boot!

Any other ideas?

I assume shipping has a lot to do with it.

I'm assuming it's because of "roro" shipping (roll on roll off) where cars are driven onto ships. Any other method including gliders will require more expensive means.

Still, it's very difficult to develop a good business equation if you have to remove the initial powertrain, ship it back, and install a new powertrain.

But the flexibility and hedging bets on gas or electric you mention could be another reason.

Hey, if they will pay the price, go for the sale. This can mean major "green" points for Ford, even if only a small number are sold. Ford may be the first major with a production EV on the floor, and a commercial vehicle to boot!

Yeah with the Transit Connect EV, Ford could actually get a huge head start in the EV field over everybody else, especially Toyota and Honda. Nissan's moving along pretty well, and so is Mitsubishi with the iMIEV (city commuter car, 60 mile range or so), but I don't think either of those companies have nearly as ambitious plans as Ford. Ford's got the Transit Connect EV next year, with a plug-in focus coming shortly after that, and I've heard production could be in the 10,000s. That moves way beyond a pilot project at that point.

I think Toyota and Honda are gonna be caught snoozing on this one. Toyota's got vague plans for a 20km electric range PHEV Prius (lame!) in 2012, and Honda still seems bent on the hydrogen fuel cell thing. They've both enjoyed a good head start on the hybrid front, but they're gonna fall behind over the next decade as plug-in vehicles start to take off.

Yeah with the Transit Connect EV, Ford could actually get a huge head start in the EV field over everybody else, especially Toyota and Honda. Nissan's moving along pretty well, and so is Mitsubishi with the iMIEV (city commuter car, 60 mile range or so), but I don't think either of those companies have nearly as ambitious plans as Ford. Ford's got the Transit Connect EV next year, with a plug-in focus coming shortly after that, and I've heard production could be in the 10,000s. That moves way beyond a pilot project at that point.

I think Toyota and Honda are gonna be caught snoozing on this one. Toyota's got vague plans for a 20km electric range PHEV Prius (lame!) in 2012, and Honda still seems bent on the hydrogen fuel cell thing. They've both enjoyed a good head start on the hybrid front, but they're gonna fall behind over the next decade as plug-in vehicles start to take off.

personally i think they would appeal to a broader base with a drivetrain like the Escape hybrid....

personally i think they would appeal to a broader base with a drivetrain like the Escape hybrid....

I think that's very true, but not a reason to abandon the EV plans. They should offer both. Unfortunately, the EV and Escape hybrid drivetrains won't have much in common, as the Escape is a true parallel hybrid. Offering a plug-in series hybrid option like the Volt, essentially the EV Transit Connect with an additional generator, would be the ideal solution if you ask me... at least in terms of a one size fits all solution. I still think there will be plenty of people/businesses for whom the 100 mile range will be plenty.

But it's very true that there's a market gap in the hybrid hauler segment. A hybrid E-150 would be really interesting if you ask me, especially if it comes with a built in inverter like the first GM pick up hybrids had.

I think that's very true, but not a reason to abandon the EV plans. They should offer both. Unfortunately, the EV and Escape hybrid drivetrains won't have much in common, as the Escape is a true parallel hybrid. Offering a plug-in series hybrid option like the Volt, essentially the EV Transit Connect with an additional generator, would be the ideal solution if you ask me... at least in terms of a one size fits all solution. I still think there will be plenty of people/businesses for whom the 100 mile range will be plenty.

But it's very true that there's a market gap in the hybrid hauler segment. A hybrid E-150 would be really interesting if you ask me, especially if it comes with a built in inverter like the first GM pick up hybrids had.

range will limit popularity.....