Will GM Answer the Pony Car

Guest Sixcav

Guest Sixcav

I don't know what kind of feedback Chevrolet is getting about its new Camaro prototype. I know they are actively trying to find out how well it would be recieved on the market. I just wonder if they will build the thing. In an age of $3.00 a gallon for gas, will a V8 powered Camaro sell well? Will they include displacement on demand to address the fuel mileage issue? What V6 engine do you guys think they would use for the entry level Camaro? The 3800? Isn't there a new 3.9 liter V6 that Chevrolet uses in the Malibu? What if they actually amped up the inline 5 motor from their truck series and used it? The longer crank would make for better torque but I don't know how well it would perform all around. And lastely, though it's not related, you gotta wonder how long before we see a hybrid Mustang, or hybrid Camaro or even . . . . a fully electric Mustang. :eek5:

Dodge is doing the Challenger, so it would make sense for a Camaro/Firebird.

But the Challenger is off a preexisiting platform that already has decent selling volume. What else is going to be built on the platform besides a GTO and Camaro to justifiy its cost?

But the Challenger is off a preexisiting platform that already has decent selling volume. What else is going to be built on the platform besides a GTO and Camaro to justifiy its cost?

Word is that IF the Camaro arrives it'll be on a platform shared with a host of other vehicles (possible Impala/Grand Prix/Monte Carlo replacements). The volume could be there.

For the most part, the Camaro concept was received well by the public. A few tweaks to take out some of the obvious "concept-ness" and it could hold its own in limited production.

Engines for any Camaro would be:

Base 3.9L V6 VCT OHV

Option 1: 5.7L-6.0L V-8 (the current base engine in the Corvette, also used in the HHR and GTO) - If the bean counters get their way, it might get the 5.3L SBC as its first option and the 6.0L would be the top.

A true SS would either have a hotter tune on the 6.0L or, it might get access to a detuned 7.0L small block.

Either way, unless Ford swaps in the 3.5L Duratec for the base stang engine, the 3.9L is gonna smoke 4.0L mustangs all day. The 3.9L has got a broader and higher torque band than the 4.0L and it weighs substantially less.

The problems with the last generation Camaro was the insurance costs. Man, a several of my friends had to sell their cars after a year or two for not other reason that the cost of coverage.

No matter what motor Chevy puts in it, it needs a safe, strong platform. Otherwise the insurance industry will try and kill it off again.

No GTO, but the Impala and next generation Buick Lucerne will be on this platform, according to the insiders.