A week in the 2010 Kia Forte SX...any questions I should try to answer?

DC Car Examiner

Other reviews have noted the 6-speed shifter feels vague and that clutch engagement is abrupt, making the car difficult to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic. I'd like to get your impressions of the manual tranny.

Also, does the trip computer in the SX model include an ambient temperature display?

Thanks!

Other reviews have noted the 6-speed shifter feels vague and that clutch engagement is abrupt, making the car difficult to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic. I'd like to get your impressions of the manual tranny.

Also, does the trip computer in the SX model include an ambient temperature display?

Thanks!

That is pretty much the way I would have phrased it, except that I blame the touchy throttle more than the rubbery shifter for awkward low-speed behavior. There's a very fine line between stalling and zooming forward. However, if you're not in a huge hurry, starting in second instead of first from a stop was smoother.

There does not seem to be a temperature display, and I was just noticing that only Forte SX models even get the trip computer.

Check the quality of the black plastic on the lower area of the rear fascia. I recall that looking inexcusably cheap in some photos I saw of it during the car show rounds. Also, find out exactly what is meant by "sporty" :devil:

On this picture, point to where I should be looking:

1%202010%20kia%20forte%20sx%20111.jpg

Is it the plastic surrounding the tailpipe?

On this picture, point to where I should be looking:

1%202010%20kia%20forte%20sx%20111.jpg

Is it the plastic surrounding the tailpipe?

Yes, that's the plastic I'm referring to. In the press photos for this car, I recall seeing some really nasty graining in the plastic. Hope the production pieces look better.

Check the quality of the black plastic on the lower area of the rear fascia. I recall that looking inexcusably cheap in some photos I saw of it during the car show rounds.

Poked around back there. The gray/black plastic itself didn't jump out at me as anything out of the ordinary, but the bumper cover as a whole moved a bit more than perhaps it might. But it looks fine, I think, and you'd only notice the motion when you're handwashing the car.

Photos:

56864774.jpg

What is this Kia's forte? Highway driving:

1_2010_kia_forte_sx_40_miles_per_gallon.jpg

Details: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC...iles-per-gallon

Oh come on, at 63 mph you'd get tailgated by big rigs in the SLOW lane. Hell, 63mph is below the speed limit in most areas. Drive it for real (eg: keeping up with traffic, passing cars, drive in the fast lane). I thought we were looking at real world test drives? Most people who would buy this car will not be in the slow lane. They'd be commuters looking for the fastest way to work (those guys driving 80mph) or younger drivers who are just starting out and can't afford anything better and driving 95% city.

Oh come on, at 63 mph you'd get tailgated by big rigs in the SLOW lane. Hell, 63mph is below the speed limit in most areas. Drive it for real (eg: keeping up with traffic, passing cars, drive in the fast lane). I thought we were looking at real world test drives? Most people who would buy this car will not be in the slow lane. They'd be commuters looking for the fastest way to work (those guys driving 80mph) or younger drivers who are just starting out and can't afford anything better and driving 95% city.

Speed limit is 55, traffic fairly heavy. People who do 80 get pulled over.

Speed limit is 55, traffic fairly heavy. People who do 80 get pulled over.

No kidding! In my visits to Annapolis and Washington DC, I've noticed that neither the Maryland State Police nor the MPD in DC cut motorists any slack for traffic violations. Plus, both areas use photo radar.

Edited by aneekr

it's a different world out here in California. 80 mph in the fast lane and your being tailgated for going too slow (when there's no bumper to bumper). The slow lanes usually have big rigs going 65+.

Just last night going through Irvine we were going 85-90mph in the Carpool, fast lane, and second lane over. I think the slow lane was going 70-72mph.

Edited by Hydro

it's a different world out here in California. 80 mph in the fast lane and your being tailgated for going too slow (when there's no bumper to bumper). The slow lanes usually have big rigs going 65+.

Just last night going through Irvine we were going 85-90mph in the Carpool, fast lane, and second lane over. I think the slow lane was going 70-72mph.

I'll try to check mileage at 75 on another highway before turning the car back in. 85-90? Not a chance.

Im that bastard doing 80-85 on the way to work in the morning in an all black Ranger while still getting 18mpg averages out of my tank. :D imagine if i slowed down.

Yeah, i still get passed too. usually some dude in an Accord with 22's

No kidding! In my visits to Annapolis and Washington DC, I've noticed that neither the Maryland State Police nor the MPD in DC cut motorists any slack for traffic violations. Plus, both areas use photo radar.

There is no photo radar enforcement in Annapolis. The only county in MD that has approved it thus far is Montgomery, and that's only in construction and school zones.

Poked around back there. The gray/black plastic itself didn't jump out at me as anything out of the ordinary, but the bumper cover as a whole moved a bit more than perhaps it might. But it looks fine, I think, and you'd only notice the motion when you're handwashing the car.

Photos:

56864774.jpg

Looks a lot better than the press car back there.

Thanks!