2010 Ford Taurus is tested for noise, vibration and harshness

When I was driving home from work on Wednesday, I saw my first Taurus in person - ever! I did a double take as I looked in my driver's side mirror and I saw a red beast coming up. It really is a big vehicle, but it does look fantastic going down the road (even though my GF disagrees and says it looks squinty eyed).

When I was driving home from work on Wednesday, I saw my first Taurus in person - ever! I did a double take as I looked in my driver's side mirror and I saw a red beast coming up. It really is a big vehicle, but it does look fantastic going down the road (even though my GF disagrees and says it looks squinty eyed).

It's supposed to look like that......I like how it looks like that.

The new taurus IS big, but it does look good...

Does anyone know what is happening with the Taurus? Is it going to become the new Interceptor or no? If it isn't I think Ford should scale it down a bit, to about the size of an Avalon or something like that.

What? What do you mean "becoming the Interceptor?" How can in become the Interceptor when it's the Taurus? I don't see it moving that way. It may downsize some if certain platform rumors are true...

Shades of the past, Back in the early '60s every Lincoln was tested as it left the Wixom line.

I always wondered how a brand new vehicle could have a few miles on the odometer. I figured it couldn't be that far from the production line to the truck/train.

Does Ford do that with all the cars/trucks? Would seem expensive to have a test track at every plant.

On a sidenote, I enjoy the Mike Rowe videos. Keep it up!

I always wondered how a brand new vehicle could have a few miles on the odometer. I figured it couldn't be that far from the production line to the truck/train.

Does Ford do that with all the cars/trucks? Would seem expensive to have a test track at every plant.

Here is how they did it when Lincoln was a true premium luxury brand and cost 3x what a Ford cost.

The big Lincoln 430 V-8 from previous years was retained in somewhat detuned form. Each car was bench tested at 3500 rpm for three hours before installation (equivalent to nearly 100 mph), and all cars were given individual 12-mile road tests before shipment, reflecting the strong emphasis given quality control.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1961-1963-li...continental.htm

AFAIK only the Lincolns got this pre-shipment testing at Wixom. T-birds which were also built there didn't get the testing but did share a lot of Lincoln parts.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I don't know if Ford does with other vehicles (I would assume they do, though), I do know that Chevy uses a similar process with the Corvette......they'll run it over cobblestones, then put it in a "rain" machine to test the seals and such before loading it on trucks.

Edited by rmc523

I like "the squint" as it looks more serious. I hated the "bug eye" look of, say a Honda Civic of a couple generations ago. There are so many shapes to headlights nowadays....remember when they were just round or rectangular?

I always figured it just means someone took a test drive before you.

Certainly true in some cases, but even though my truck was ordered (by the dealer) from the factory, it had about 7 miles on it when I picked it up. Would seem too little to explain a joyride (or test drive), but more than the distance from production line to the hauler. But I'm not familiar with the layout at the New Jersey plant (where my Ranger was made), so who knows? It could be that far.

Given the quantity of vehicles Ford produces, it does seem to be a lot of overhead cost to test every car, but if they're serious about quality, then maybe it's worth it.