How Many Have Lost Their Jobs Due To The Internet?

Furious1Auto

Some of the job cuts are intentional, and some are caused by the public's illegal use of the internet. Either way intended, or unintended te internet is costing millions of Americans their livelihood.

The financial sector;

It is so convenient to pay your bills online, and to have your paychecks direct deposited. However this means there is less call for clerks ad branches at each banking institution. Just locally I can name 6 different bank branches that have closed/consolidated due to electronic transfers. These branches use to employ several people.

USPS;

E-Mail, and people receiving bills VIA E-Mail is costing thousands within the post office their jobs, buyouts and workforce reduction are the results.

Insurance agents;

Insurance companies are cannibals, they eat their own. They offer discounts to you as a customer if you buy insurance online versus purchasing the same policy through one of their agents.

Music industry;

Due to the peer to peer file sharing the Music industry is taking a beating. Stoores like Camolot Music, Sam Goody, and others have closed. There is no need for the stores, clerks, and event the people to manufacture the disks that use to sell by the millions. Even the atrtists have now lost their residual income, and if they do not perform they don't eat. Hell Sting played Cleveland 3 years ago, I'll bet that was the first time he had performed here in 15 years or so.

Movie industry;

Same deal as the music industry, bootleg videos are available everywhere for $5.00 a piece. How long will actors get paid for their participation in big productions? How long will it be feasible for production companies to continue producing multi-million dollar films, when they no longer generate revenue? How many have or will lose their livelihood as more people come on-line.

Manufacturing;

Now because of trade laws, and cheap transportation of imported goods, it is cheaper to manufacture goods in lower cost labor markets, while selling them in the U.S. There are sites on the net dedicated to helping manufacturing companies move operations to Mexico to utilize their cheap labor. This is all made possible through the Internets sourcing capabilities.

I wish I had never brought my children into this mess, and if I had known where we were headed as a nation when I was young I would have been more careful in my decision making. Sorry, but I see no future job market in the U.S. unless we force our government to reverse our trade laws. Just my 2 cents!

Some of the job cuts are intentional, and some are caused by the public's illegal use of the internet. Either way intended, or unintended te internet is costing millions of Americans their livelihood.

The financial sector;

It is so convenient to pay your bills online, and to have your paychecks direct deposited. However this means there is less call for clerks ad branches at each banking institution. Just locally I can name 6 different bank branches that have closed/consolidated due to electronic transfers. These branches use to employ several people.

I pay all my bills on line and use direct deposit, and when i do go to a branch office or have to call one of these people they generally are not helpful. it saves those companies money for us to do this stuff online which in some cases gives us better rates. not to mention the time and money i save not having to drive 20 miles to my branch office.

USPS;

E-Mail, and people receiving bills VIA E-Mail is costing thousands within the post office their jobs, buyouts and workforce reduction are the results.

I rarely use the mail service because of the above, times change. a long time a go they use to have a pony express where people would ride to deliver mail and telegrams, technology put them out of business too, the same technology you're using to put all this garbage on here

Insurance agents;

Insurance companies are cannibals, they eat their own. They offer discounts to you as a customer if you buy insurance online versus purchasing the same policy through one of their agents.

Again because they save money which is why they can offer me discounts, am i suppose to say "no charge me the most you can and i'll come in and talk to an agent" when i can get a discount and save gas and time doing it onlilne.

Music industry;

Due to the peer to peer file sharing the Music industry is taking a beating. Stoores like Camolot Music, Sam Goody, and others have closed. There is no need for the stores, clerks, and event the people to manufacture the disks that use to sell by the millions. Even the atrtists have now lost their residual income, and if they do not perform they don't eat. Hell Sting played Cleveland 3 years ago, I'll bet that was the first time he had performed here in 15 years or so.

Are you kidding? these stores charged upwards of 15 bucks for a cd that you may only liked 2 songs on the cd, now you can download those songs on itunes for .99 cents instead of wasting 15 bucks on a cd, and most musicians will tell you they dont make thier money off cd sales they make it touring, sting is old and probably toured because he like most live lavish life styles and blew through the money he had, just like all these hair bands are touring now because most of them snorted their money up their nose and didnt plan for the future. sorry i don't know any top artists right now hurting for money, they get signed to million+ dollar contracts.

Movie industry;

Same deal as the music industry, bootleg videos are available everywhere for $5.00 a piece. How long will actors get paid for their participation in big productions? How long will it be feasible for production companies to continue producing multi-million dollar films, when they no longer generate revenue? How many have or will lose their livelihood as more people come on-line.

Again, these movies companies arent hurting for money, they pay actors millions and can make hundreds of millions in a single weekend with a good movie, it's all about greed with these companies

I wish I had never brought my children into this mess, and if I had known where we were headed as a nation when I was young I would have been more careful in my decision making. Sorry, but I see no future job market in the U.S. unless we force our government to reverse our trade laws. Just my 2 cents!

The sky is falling aint it? i bet your children love knowing their parents wish they werent born, awesome job with that one. what an asshole parent

It's hard to pass judgement on technology as there is no wrong or right, just how it is used that must be questioned. Therefore the point you raise has some merit. The Fed. Reserve has had to make changes in its workforce as paper checks are no longer physically handled, coins and paper cash are used less. Therefore some folks lost their jobs. That's tough if it's your job. I feel for them FAR more than entertainers.

However I agree mostly with SU-FI, things change and we always find ways to change as well. As a father of many, I consider it my job to raise my children to be part of the solution and not the problem so they'll be okay. For every door that closes, another is opening somewhere and they need to be in the front of the line to go through it.

I kind of think this is like a story that was told to me a while ago buy a old union painter. He said his local would not let them paint with a roller when they first came out only brushes. The rollers did the job to fast an other painters would lose there jobs because of the new invention the roller.

Would you even think of painting your house with out using a roller (maybe now you might even use a spray gun ) I know change sucks but you have to "roll" with it.

There were never I.T. guys before the computers and the internet so those jobs were created because of it. It sucks to see someone loose there job but thats where government should be re-training people for new jobs.

I kind of think this is like a story that was told to me a while ago buy a old union painter. He said his local would not let them paint with a roller when they first came out only brushes. The rollers did the job to fast an other painters would lose there jobs because of the new invention the roller.

Would you even think of painting your house with out using a roller (maybe now you might even use a spray gun ) I know change sucks but you have to "roll" with it.

There were never I.T. guys before the computers and the internet so those jobs were created because of it. It sucks to see someone loose there job but thats where government should be re-training people for new jobs.

People should retrain themselves and not be dependant on the government.

The financial sector;

Although I agree in theory, but with the banking consolidations, some branches are overlapping. Wells Fargo and others keep buying all the bad banks and there is no need for overlapping services. ATM's were thought to take away the tellers jobs years ago, but look at any bank web sites careers page and teller jobs are everywhere.

USPS;

Not only are the letter carriers affected, the letter sorters & machine techs, truck maintenance, air freight, ground freight, envelope makers, stamp printers, paper mills.

Insurance agents;

I almost dont feel sorry for these leeches, but the good guy that has one office and when you walk in, he knows who you are, I feel bad for that guy not the national company that he sells for.

Music industry;

I understand their plight with illegal downloaders but people have come to accept I-Tunes and the likes as their music source. At $.99 per tune, that something even the illegal downloaders have come to terms with. No one cares for album art anymore. It was a late 60's into the 70's thing for album art. When the cassette came along, you could barely see any pics or the writting in the cover anyway. As for CD's, if you would see the way they were mass produced, no one really has lost any jobs. Robots in a clean room do all the work. The artist are making up the difference with their lost album sales in their concert ticket & memorabilia prices.

Movie industry;

see answer to music industry.

Manufacturing;

Now because of trade laws, and cheap transportation of imported goods, it is cheaper to manufacture goods in lower cost labor markets, while selling them in the U.S. There are sites on the net dedicated to helping manufacturing companies move operations to Mexico to utilize their cheap labor. This is all made possible through the Internets sourcing capabilities.

When everyone is out of a job, no one left to buy their cheap made in mexico, korea or china crap!

Be glad you brought your children into this world. Teach them that the world is an ugly place and how it got that way. But also teach them they dont have be a part of the ugly! Teach them how to survive and stand on their own, but in unity! Work hard as their brother/sister next to them and make sure they get a fair shake! Teach them that they too can be a contributor to this ugly world and not worship the almighty dollar! The dollar is the most evil thing in our country! People kill for it. People voluntarily die for it. People use it to enslave you for them (when you take out a mortgage, you are now a slave to the lender).

Thats my $.02

Btv to Shv

Edited by BTV to SHV Transferee

The problem is that there are less jobs being created then we are losing, hence the unemployment rate.

SU FI I care for 6 kids 3 of my own, and 3 of my girlfriends. I don't regret my kids at all, however with the use of temporary services I don't see much future for them without college. And if they go to college, I see them being extorted for an education starting their career tens of thousands in debt.

Edited by Furious1Auto

The financial sector;

USPS;

Insurance agents;

Music industry;

Movie industry;

Manufacturing;

I fail to see the issue. Industries evolve all the time. Consumers have won in every single one of your examples.

Microsoft, Sun, IBM..the list goes on. The computer/internet advancements of the last 25 years have created untold amounts of wealth and jobs. Why is this bad? Sure, for the few that can't compete and get passed on it sucks. but so what.

Your nostalgia for dying industries is just that. nostalgia.

Don't be afraid of technology. The US used to lead the competition. Now we're afraid of it.

That's what disappoints me. We've lost our will to fight and compete. Now it's all handouts, bailouts and protectionism.

That's what disappoints me. We've lost our will to fight and compete. Now it's all handouts, bailouts and protectionism.

You must be joking. It is a handful of ruling class people, cutting the jobs of their consumer market. I suppose if you are a rich dick with a great global financial position it's alright, but if you are trying to work for a living and remain an American you can go pound salt. Ultra wealthy, and ultra poor. Do you guys really wonder why the economy is failing, and the housing, and auto markets have been shrinking in the U.S.?