Frankfurt Auto Show: Ford Sees Fiesta as U.S. Hit

One of the key issues with the Fiesta is the history of Ford's b-cars in the U.S., particularly the Festiva/Aspire. These cars only sold in 30-40k annual volumes, much less than projections. There is a lot of blame to go around, but Ford's marketing deserves a lot of it -- including the bull-headed decision to rename the Festiva as Aspire. The dealers also deserve a share, because they couldn't have cared less about small cars -- all they wanted was more Panthers. How many Ford sales people could even drive a manual transmission car?

Ford's management, including PD management, also deserves a bashing as b-cars were universally looked down upon internally and referred to with nice names like "sh*t boxes" and "cars for bottom feeders". When you have this kind of attitude internally, it's very difficult to have high team morale. The team knew that every time they went in front of management, they were going to be torn a new one.

Many of the leaders in Ford Marketing were regional salesmen during this time period, so they carry some of that "bad taste". Which is why I have heard they are low-balling the sales volumes in the U.S. which is causing a lot of stress on the program team. But it looks like there are other, probably younger, members in Marketing that seem to be doing a brilliant job of creating a very positive and youthful image for Fiesta prior to introduction. What a breath of fresh air! And there is a dealer training program; I think the dealers know how important this car is this time around.

So there is a good chance that the Fiesta will sell well and will have a good mix of higher-level of features.

Personally, I think the Fiesta is one of the most important product introductions for Ford in the upcoming years. It sets the base for the whole car lineup in terms of image, price, and performance.

I was reading the Daily Mail today, it had photo's of two women which made me think of two cars Fiesta & G8 don't ask me why. Does anybody wanna put a bet on here on which new car will sell most Stateside.

Big Al's classy Fiesta v Loser Lutz's pet car he saved, the large Chevy G8 with all the handling but shame about the Lutz's mismash "Tony" face.

Big Al's classy Fiesta will offer reminds me of.

LINK

article-0-0673B33E000005DC-39_468x420.jpg

Lutz's pet toy he saved to waste another $50 billion of taxpayers money on that HE won't pay back the old GM Pontiac new GM Chevy G8 with all the handling shame about the screwed up face reminds me of the bride of Wildenstein.

article-0-0673FBE9000005DC-806_468x642.jpg

it could have 1,000 facelifts, give it some big plastic bumpers up front it would still look the same, nothing will ever change 2015, 2020 & 2025 all G8's will look a mundane Freaky with everlasting low sales, nothing will have changed.

Loser Lutz's G8's Craparo & Volt money losing Freaks it's fantastic looks so plastic will all be sales flops, Fords classy lady will outsell all three Stateside combined.

article-1213845-067508DA000005DC-787_468x660.jpg

Two cars which will sell the most Fiesta or G8, Camry scalp will come later once the word gets out, as the oil price creeps higher.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Ford's management, including PD management, also deserves a bashing as b-cars were universally looked down upon internally and referred to with nice names like "sh*t boxes" and "cars for bottom feeders". When you have this kind of attitude internally, it's very difficult to have high team morale. The team knew that every time they went in front of management, they were going to be torn a new one.

Many of the leaders in Ford Marketing were regional salesmen during this time period, so they carry some of that "bad taste". Which is why I have heard they are low-balling the sales volumes in the U.S. which is causing a lot of stress on the program team. But it looks like there are other, probably younger, members in Marketing that seem to be doing a brilliant job of creating a very positive and youthful image for Fiesta prior to introduction. What a breath of fresh air! And there is a dealer training program; I think the dealers know how important this car is this time around.

So there is a good chance that the Fiesta will sell well and will have a good mix of higher-level of features.

Personally, I think the Fiesta is one of the most important product introductions for Ford in the upcoming years. It sets the base for the whole car lineup in terms of image, price, and performance.

Lots of good points you make but also I think the Fiesta also has lot of other things going for it, such as it was developed in Europe without the stigma that small cars have over here and I personally think the car can sell itself without too much marketing or uptalking by sales people.

Personally if they can sell the Fiesta for about 15K with Sync, Cruise, AC and power locks, it will walk right off the lots with no problem. Add in Leather Seats and 17-18K isn't out of the question. I feel that all Ford has to do is price the car fairly and it will sell pretty well as long as its not full of cheap looking plastic or looks cheap, from what I can see it doesn't.

My opinion here, but the only way American's will embrace a B class car is if gas costs more than $3.50/gallon. We like larger cars and trucks and SUVs and I just don't see that changing if gas prices stay relatively low. I'd be surprised if Ford moves more than 5,000 Fiestas a month once the intro-hoopla dies down.

article-0-0673B33E000005DC-39_468x420.jpg

Big Al's Fiesta is a classy little beauty with 300,000 sales Jan-Aug 2009, it will at last give Americans something they want, they won't have to use the protest vote a Toyonda anymore.

Jumped off the Old GM ship with the rats l'm retired for good Loser Lutz's Old pontiac G8 sorry, NEW GM Bobs ALL NEW "super" boring looking Chevy G8 with superb HANDLING will be HANDLING back the $50 billion of taxpayers money more like want need another $50 billion with just 18,616 ugly looking sales Jan-Aug.

article-1213845-067508DA000005DC-787_468x660.jpg

Did anybody on BON see Lutz's spill on his vision "NEW GM" on Bloomberg - Craparo, G8 & Volt are going to save GM, those three cars are going to pay back the taxpayer their $50 billions it made me wanna puke (Silverado might maybe), no mention from Lutz of the Classic Siverado (All thats propping up GM Stateside) in his spill.

4 cars 2009 SALES so far this year

Big Al's

Fiesta - 300,000 sales

Loser Lutz freaks cars that he said are gonna pay back the US taxpayer their $50 billion :hysterical:

Chevy G8 - 18,616 sales

Craparo - 31,950 sales

Volt sales ? Massive taxpayers bill coming to subsidise GM, just like the Prius it won't make one dime in profit from sales to payback the US taxpayers the $50 billion GM loss last year. Every Volt will be sold at a loss and just like the Prius they will cost the US taxpayer a fortune in to bribe buyers.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds