Aston Martin future in peril

Ford Jellymoulds

Will Aston Martin crash in the recession?

Fears for the future of Britain's Aston Martin car brand were heightened after the Kuwaiti sovereign wealth fund that owns half of the luxury carmaker admitted it was struggling to refinance its debt.

Aston Martin was sold by Ford in March 2007 at the height of the economic boom.

The deal was then valued at $925m (£480m) and the Dar's 51% share was partly financed by several international banks which had agreed to a $393m sharia-compliant loan.

At the time the Dar said: "The purchase of Aston Martin is central to our strategy of diversifying our holdings in key markets and international brands."

But like other carmakers, Aston Martin has struggled in the recession. The company cut 600 jobs, one-third of its workforce, at its plant at Graydon in Warwickshire in December. The factory has also suffered temporary closures.

LINK

A better question would be, why in the hell did Ford buy all these troubled brands to begin with?

Nasser's original plan was to buy margin heavy premium brands that would account for 1/3 of Ford profits once running properly.

And the Greenleaf stuff was to own OE and used parts market.

Both in theory made sense to everyone. Ford family, Wall Street. Us.

Of course, the reality was they couldn't right those ships.

What's 007 gonna use in his next movie - The worlds gone broke?

Aston's 007/James Bond contract was finished with Quantum of Solace anyway.......I guess that doesn't answer the question, though.

Hey, maybe a C4C car!! It'd be a pretty boring chase scene, though, since neither the villain's nor 007's car would work at all after being clunkered.

Edited by rmc523

I think the original plan with PAG is that management finally realized that letting its car lines wither (with a focus instead on high-profit trucks and SUVs) meant that the brands had also withered. They figured it would be cheaper/faster to buy other, existing premium brands, on which they could make higher profits (conceivably), and then they wouldn't have to compete in low- to mid-level cars with the likes of Toyota and Honda. Lincoln was already a damaged brand, and someone probably produced a spread sheet that "proved" it would be cheaper to buy Volvo and Jaguar, than invest in Lincoln to try to restore its image. Jac and Wolfgang would have preferred it if Lincoln just went away.

Or another Z4. Or an M5, or an M3...heck maybe even a 1-series. :shrug:

Oh yea, forgot he drove a Z4, I was thinking a Z8, which is obviously (and sadly) not around anymore, although I see them every once and a while.

M5 wouldn't really fit the "Bond car" style to me, that's why I didn't mention it.

If BMW were awarded the Bond contract, I would think they'd likely go with the Z4 first, as it was just redesigned.

Edited by rmc523

Toyota will provide the dodgy hire car where the gas pedal gets jammed on full throttle in the bond movie, 007 struggles with it and jumps out just as the Camry shoots over the side of a mountain at 100 MPH.

Who sabotaged my gas pedal Dr No, Mr Big, Goldfinger maybe? it was Toyota 007.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Toyota will provide the dodgy hire car where the gas pedal gets jammed on full throttle in the bond movie, 007 struggles with it and jumps out just as the Camry shoots over the side of a mountain at 100 MPH.

Who sabotaged my gas pedal Dr No, Mr Big, Goldfinger maybe? it was Toyota 007.

Hey! This post appears to be....topical, timely, relevant and actually, relatively clever. Who are you and what have you done w/ FJM? :poke: