Milan forever

We just inherited a 2006 Milan Premier. We would like to make it last forever, as they say. Other than "change the oil every 3,001 miles, we would appreciate any other reasonable suggestions for helping this car last as long as possible. This is the best car we will or will ever own and we really wan to hang on to it. Are there known problems we should be saving up our money for? (Which is not alot). Someone said keep air conditioning filters changed. I'd like some real advice. Thanks. It's the 'top of the line' Milan with basically everything. (My mother liked to ride in style.) It just turned 45,000 miles. Thanks. Oh, we live in South Dakota. The car came from Michigan.

We just inherited a 2006 Milan Premier. We would like to make it last forever, as they say. Other than "change the oil every 3,001 miles, we would appreciate any other reasonable suggestions for helping this car last as long as possible. This is the best car we will or will ever own and we really wan to hang on to it. Are there known problems we should be saving up our money for? (Which is not alot). Someone said keep air conditioning filters changed. I'd like some real advice. Thanks. It's the 'top of the line' Milan with basically everything. (My mother liked to ride in style.) It just turned 45,000 miles. Thanks. Oh, we live in South Dakota. The car came from Michigan.

Just follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual/maintenance guide and you'll be fine. No need to change oil every 3k unless it's been at least 6 months.

Just follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual/maintenance guide and you'll be fine. No need to change oil every 3k unless it's been at least 6 months.

I agree. 3000 too often for engine oil unless more than 6 months, or vehicle used in extreme dusty conditions or towing or something. You will be amazed how long that car can last just following the owners manual. You don't need aftermarket fluids either, just the Ford stuff is fine. You live in a cold climate, so make sure you use the recommended oil viscosity. If automatic, and if it's a serviceable one, make sure you change the trans fluid (all that will come out) at least every 60,000 or less if inspection showing wear. I believe your car has the serviceable one....Aisin 6 speed auto (a Toyota company). Even the non servicable ones (GM and Ford joint venture)....I would figure out how to get the fluid changed at some interval. I believe your car has the same automatic as my wife's Montego....a 6 speed auto manufactured by Aisin, which is servicable. There is a small yellow dip stick low under the radiator if it's the same....or your owners manual can inform you where it is....if it has one. If it has a dip stick....it's easily serviceable. It does use the Ford Premium fluid, not Mercon V, ....so don't use some aftermarket stuff. Consult your owners manual.

As you can tell.....I would rather do engine work, than repair or replace an automatic transmission....and most folks think just the opposite....based on how they service their vehicle. You can do some pretty major engine repair for less money than replacing the auto trans.

Your biggest problem will be body rust, not engine wear. The body will wear (rust) out before the engine. So keep it clean, free of salt if you can especially underneath, waxed, etc.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I'd say the only thing you gotta worry about is the transmission. There are no known problems with those units as far as i know but naturally, if you don't keep up on changing out fluid, the transmission will go on you. My Mercury dealership recommends flushing the tranny every 25,000-30,000 miles. That is perfectly fine with me ....i'd rather spend $100 every other year then have to spend the $3,000 it costs to replace them. Some say every 60K but with the cold winters here, and especially for you, i'd go with every 25K to be on the safe side. Like I said, it's cheap assurance when you consider the alternative.

Thanks. Good ideas. The weather here is so harsh and we really alternate between short in town hops and then long 8 hour 85 mph jaunts to the Mt. Rushmore side of the state. It seems like the thing now is the brakes and the tires (neither have been serviced) but the transmission thing is a good idea. Should I be asking for a multi-grade oil like 5W-30 or a specific weight? Also, what do folks think about synthetic oil? Thanks.

Thanks. Good ideas. The weather here is so harsh and we really alternate between short in town hops and then long 8 hour 85 mph jaunts to the Mt. Rushmore side of the state. It seems like the thing now is the brakes and the tires (neither have been serviced) but the transmission thing is a good idea. Should I be asking for a multi-grade oil like 5W-30 or a specific weight? Also, what do folks think about synthetic oil? Thanks.

My 07 Milan sees "Severe duty" as an EMT I'm making several short trips at high speeds. I change the oil every 3-4K using mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20. I stay w/ 5w-20 because that is what ford states to use and I don't believe I am smarter than their engineers. The frequent intervals are for piece of mind. There is no cabin filter in your car BTW. Just stay on top of the fluids and inspections and there should not be a reason your car won't run forever.

Good point. Is that Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20 reference in the owners manual? Also, is there an issue if the temps get above a hundred as they sometimes do in the summer? It'd be nice to just stick with one type. Thanks.

They will always recommend motorcraft oil as it's their own brand but any 5w-20 will do. If you have warranty issues it may help to keep it with 5-20 also. I run mobil 1 because it's trusted and tested. It will protect in extreme heat or cold as well.. If you change your own oil the cost of a synthetic oil change it minimal as well. It'll also cycle through the engine faster in cold temps which is good for me as I'm often starting the car and leaving w/o warm up time.

They will always recommend motorcraft oil as it's their own brand but any 5w-20 will do. If you have warranty issues it may help to keep it with 5-20 also. I run mobil 1 because it's trusted and tested. It will protect in extreme heat or cold as well.. If you change your own oil the cost of a synthetic oil change it minimal as well. It'll also cycle through the engine faster in cold temps which is good for me as I'm often starting the car and leaving w/o warm up time.

Just a reminder that the Motorcraft factory 5W-20 is a synthetic blend and you can't just use ANY 5W-20 oil - it has to meet the Ford specification.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1997 Cougar with the 232 V-6. I have changed the oil every 3k miles since new. The car now has almost 269,000 miles on it. I do not use any oil between oil changes. I also have the transmission fluid and filter changed, and the cooling system flushed every year, as well as the intank fuel filter. She runs like atop.