Suggestion for the 2011 Taurus transmission control module

Once the selector lever has been placed in "manual" mode and gear 6 has

been selected with the paddle shifter, the transmission control module should

remember and go back that that selection after a slowing of the car has

caused it to temporarily change to any lower gear and the driver resumes

a speed which will allow gear 6 to be operational again.

The memory should only be erased when the driver moves the selector to

"Drive" or when the driver selects another gear with a paddle shifter.

Once the selector lever has been placed in "manual" mode and gear 6 has

been selected with the paddle shifter, the transmission control module should

remember and go back that that selection after a slowing of the car has

caused it to temporarily change to any lower gear and the driver resumes

a speed which will allow gear 6 to be operational again.

The memory should only be erased when the driver moves the selector to

"Drive" or when the driver selects another gear with a paddle shifter.

ahhh Steve, wouldnt that just be the same as leaving the car in Auto to begin with and letting the trans do the work?............

ahhh Steve, wouldnt that just be the same as leaving the car in Auto to begin with

and letting the trans do the work?............

Dean,

No, no, no, no, no!! On hilly terrain with the cruise control set at 55 mph (for

example) the control module will fight to maintain that exact speed by downshifting

excessively uphill and downhill too.

If you put the shift lever in manual and set the cruise at 55 mph, it eliminates

unnecessary downshifting. You get better fuel mileage, and smoother driving.

However, if you have to slow down, say for a car turning in front of you or for a

stoplight, then you have to either shift the car back to "drive" until you reach

gear 6, or you have to paddle shift it manually back to gear six through all the

gears.

To keep this simple, what I'm suggesting is that once you use the paddle

shifter to get to gear 6, the car should remember that selection until you

erase the memory by selecting another gear or putting the car in drive.

The reason it has to downshift is if you slow down temporarily to a speed

below which the control module requires a temporary selection of a lower

gear to prevent excess lugging or stalling. I say go ahead and program

it to downshift in those circumstands, but in those instances and those

instances only, also let it resume to gear 6 unless and until you select another

gear.

Dean,

No, no, no, no, no!! On hilly terrain with the cruise control set at 55 mph (for

example) the control module will fight to maintain that exact speed by downshifting

If you put the shift lever in manual and set the cruise at 55 mph, it eliminates

However, if you have to slow down, say for a car turning in front of you or for a

stoplight, then you have to either shift the car back to "drive" until you reach

gear 6, or you have to paddle shift it manually back to gear six through all the

gears.

Thanks, just learned something. Never owned a car with a manual mode and I rarely use it when I drive cars with it (too gimmicky), but you've just given me a reason to mess around with it.

My Grand Caravan downshifts constantly with the cruise on with the slightest incline. Very irritating.

instances only, also let it resume to gear 6 unless and until you select another

gear.

I'm assuming by the way you are talking Steve577 that you have never driving a manual transmission automobile. In those cars, everything is done by the driver, that is upshift, downshift and so forth. That to me is what the manual mode is all about. It is putting a manual transmission into a car, but the one big thing that is missing is the clutch that you have to push in to disengage the transmissions to select a higher or lower gear.

That means that you are more in control of the car and how it runs. I like the paddle shifters, but if you give me that option, then I want to have a full manual transmission, where I do all the work and shift through the gears. Manuals are so much more fun to drive. I feel like I'm more in control of the car. Also the Taurus SHO that I drove was so quiet that I didn't realize at one point that I needed to shift, fortunately I looked at the RPM gauge and reminded myself that I needed to shift.

Thanks, just learned something. Never owned a car with a manual mode and I rarely use it when I drive cars with it (too gimmicky), but you've just given me a reason to mess around with it.

My Grand Caravan downshifts constantly with the cruise on with the slightest incline. Very irritating.

Auto-manuals are not substitutes for real manuals. But they do give you the ability to hold a gear - either a higher one for cruising or a lower one for blasting out of the twisties. And the ability to select a specific gear when you want it. They just give you more control over the automatic shifting than you normally have.

gear.

Sounds like you really want automatic operation but without the forced downshifts when negotiating hills. That would be better accomplished with a different shift strategy setting (like sport vs. cruise) for automatic mode.

In the Caravan and Grand Caravan, unless its the brand new one with the 6AT and 4.0L engine combo, it doesn't have much of a choice. The 3.3L and 3.8L OHV engines may be reliable, but hteir power bands leave a lot to be desired. They have narrow sweet spots.

I agree. It's an '05. It's geared to scoot from a light, but from a roll the 3.3L struggles to pull the weight, especially when loaded. The 4-sp. tranny doesn't help in the downshifting dept. either.

Dean,

gears.

gotcha...miss the OD button huh? One of the reasons I like a true manual trans.....

Edited by Deanh

I'm assuming by the way you are talking Steve577 that you have never

driven a manual transmission automobile.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this I admit, but since I started

driving in 1954, I would guess that I've driven approximately 100 vehicles

with manual transmissions. And I currently own a 2005 Chevy Colorado

truck that has a five speed manual transmission. Not that I'm disagreeing

with your opinion necessarily, just want you to know I have the street cred

to engage in this conversation!

gotcha...miss the OD button huh? One of the reasons I like a true manual trans.....

Dean, you're right, I do miss the OD button (actually I think what that

button did on the 2008 Taurus was to disengage the torque converter

lockup clutch and alert the transmission control module to downshift

if the brake is applied).

Dean, you're right, I do miss the OD button (actually I think what that

button did on the 2008 Taurus was to disengage the torque converter

lockup clutch and alert the transmission control module to downshift

if the brake is applied).

I tell customers it stops uphill hunting and can act as engine braking on downhill slopes....I use it all the time in my gals Expe-diddy...now all you have to do is utilize the paddles to keep the trans in the gear you wish...will just take a little getting used to....think of it as a clutchless stick shift...

Edited by Deanh

I tell customers it stops uphill hunting and can act as engine braking on downhill slopes....I use it all the time in my gals Expe-diddy...now all you have to do is utilize the paddles to keep the trans in the gear you wish...will just take a little getting used to....think of it as a clutchless stick shift...

Dean,

Unfortunately, the paddle shifters are inoperative when in Drive. So If you're cruising

along in Drive and want to use a paddle shifter for engine braking, you have to

reach over and put the shifter in manual mode, the go back to the steering wheel and

use the paddle shifter. Then when you're finished using the paddle shifter for

engine braking, you go back to the shift lever and put it back in drive. Few will want

to do that in heavy traffic. They'll end up using the brakes only.

Edited by steve577

Dean,

Unfortunately, the paddle shifters are inoperative when in Drive. So If you're cruising

reach over and put the shifter in manual mode, the go back to the steering wheel and

engine braking, you go back to the shift lever and put it back in drive. Few will want

piece of cake for a man of your talents ...although that 3 second inconvienience must be mind-bogglingly frustrating...LOL! I'm sure it will become second nature with time steve, just like pushing the OD button

My memory is a little fuzzy on this I admit, but since I started

driving in 1954, I would guess that I've driven approximately 100 vehicles

with manual transmissions. And I currently own a 2005 Chevy Colorado

truck that has a five speed manual transmission. Not that I'm disagreeing

with your opinion necessarily, just want you to know I have the street cred

to engage in this conversation!

My bad, just the way you were talking, I assumed, which you know what that makes, that you didn't drive a manual. I have driven a manual for a good 10 years, but haven't since. I would like to get back in one, but they are going away like the dinosaurs.

I still like my 6-speed in my Explorer. All I have to do to downshift, is pull the shifter release and pull it back on notch and I'm good to go.

See ya.

Dean,

I agree with you on that one. I wish that there were a separate button on the steering wheel that would allow you to toggle between auto and manual mode. That way you wouldn't have to take your hands off the steering wheel.

Edited by StevenCaylor

piece of cake for a man of your talents ...although that 3 second inconvienience

must be mind-bogglingly frustrating...LOL! I'm sure it will become second nature

with time steve, just like pushing the OD button.

Dean,

The inconvenience is only frustrating in that it is so unnecessary. What we have

here, is a failure to integrate. I struggled with this issue years ago with a 2005 Chrysler

300C. Chrysler failed to figure out a way to integrate their manual mode with their

"drive" mode. Each mode has its charms. The inconvenience is the busy-work

choosing one or the other as driving conditions change.

The solution is very simple. The cruise control system is a perfect example. You

choose whether to turn it on or not. The default mode is off. When you turn it on, you can

decide to use it or not use it.

The paddle shifters should be just like the cruise control. You turn them on when

you want them to be operative. Then you seamlessly choose back and forth with a button

on the steering wheel whether you want to be in manual mode or automatic mode. No endless

screwing around moving the shift lever back and forth.

Edited by steve577

Dean,

The inconvenience is only frustrating in that it is so unnecessary. What we have

here, is a failure to integrate. I struggled with this issue years ago with a 2005 Chrysler

300C. Chrysler failed to figure out a way to integrate their manual mode with their

"drive" mode. Each mode has its charms. The inconvenience is the busy-work

choosing one or the other as driving conditions change.

The solution is very simple. The cruise control system is a perfect example. You

choose whether to turn it on or not. The default mode is off. When you turn it on, you can

decide to use it or not use it.

The paddle shifters should be just like the cruise control. You turn them on when

you want them to be operative. Then you seamlessly choose back and forth with a button

on the steering wheel whether you want to be in manual mode or automatic mode. No endless

screwing around moving the shift lever back and forth.

meh...personally theres TOO MANY DAMN BUTTONS AS IT SITS...shifting a lever isnt that inconveinient...searching for a button amoungst,cruise on/off, set +/ Set-, resume, volume =/ volume -, prev/ next, synch/ media and phone....ENOUGH I say, I'll take the lever and master the paddle shifters thanks....CRAZY how overly complex cars are becoming. Of course , all this is heresay in your situation Steve as NONE of us commenting are the proud owners of such a car with hands on.....congrats..classy car. Edited by Deanh

Dean,

Well with a regular automatic if you want engine braking you have to reach over and move the shifter from D into L or 3 or whatever your shifter has. It's the same process so I am sure most people are quite used to doing it already. It's a quick process and it's not like you have to take your eyes off the road and watch yourself move the shifter into a different mode. Give it time, before you know it you won't even have to think about doing it. It'll become second nature.

Well with a regular automatic if you want engine braking you have to reach over and move the shifter from D into L or 3 or whatever your shifter has. It's the same process so I am sure most people are quite used to doing it already. It's a quick process and it's not like you have to take your eyes off the road and watch yourself move the shifter into a different mode. Give it time, before you know it you won't even have to think about doing it. It'll become second nature.
notquitesane...hmmmm. Jelly is that you? or is it me? Edited by Deanh

The process is a bit counterintuitive, especially when you have other manufacturers that offer up better integration. If I want to use the paddle shifters in the G or FX I flick 'em and manumatic mode is engaged. Then again I hardly use them due to the how laggy they can be when you want to upshift.

IMO this is an easy fix for Ford, in addition to paddles with more substance. The current ones feel cheap and are flimsy...

BMW 1 Series:

32981142-2-440-SS06.jpg

Infiniti G35/37

image_cd_gallery.jpg

SHO:

image_cd_gallery.jpg

Edited by Michael Reynolds