Need buying advice Escape I4 w/ FWD v. 4WD; FEH ditto

ocrx66

Hello: I keep debating getting a Limited I4 w/ FWD v. 4WD v. Hybrid FWD v. 4WD. From what I have read the gas I4 has plenty of power as does the FEH.

I don't know if the cost differential is worth it for the FEH due to the breakeven point being at least 5-6 years. Cost is not so much an issue but why spend the extra $ if it's not worth it. Also debating FWD w/ a good set of snows v. 4WD.

Also on the FEH you get very little optional equipment offered on the base model. i like the navi. screen but I already have a Garmin and for the extra money it would not have real time traffic in Cleveland

Any comments with real world driving and handling, mpg's etc would be appreciated on any one who has any of the above combinations. The easy part was deciding to get the limited. I do about 75% highway and live in Northeast Ohio. The weather sucks here about 5 months out of the year and my profession dictates that I must get to work. Right now I am leasing an 07'

Edge and want something a little smaller with tighter handling. Love the Fusion but I like being up off of the pavement a little.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Personally, I would avoid the FEH at all costs. My next vehicle will not be a Ford product.

I own a 2006 FEH AWD, and was getting 28-29 MPG highway. 5 year / 60,000 mile extended warranty did NOT help when a connecting rod bearing failed @ 65,000 miles, requiring the replacement of the engine. The $6500 repair cost ate ALL of the vehicle savings since purchase, and the $6500 repair cost put the FEH in the same cost category as the Highlander Hybrid.

Good news? My replacement (remanufactured) engine has a better warranty than the original - 100,000 miles. Bad news? The new engine is noisier and fuel economy has dropped to 26-27 MPG in equivalent driving.

As much as I liked my FEH before the engine failed, Ford has not treated this customer well. They had NO INTEREST in learning why the bearing failed nor in having any conversations with me other than "Warranty expired. Too Bad."

Personally, I would avoid the FEH at all costs. My next vehicle will not be a Ford product.

I own a 2006 FEH AWD, and was getting 28-29 MPG highway. 5 year / 60,000 mile extended warranty did NOT help when a connecting rod bearing failed @ 65,000 miles, requiring the replacement of the engine. The $6500 repair cost ate ALL of the vehicle savings since purchase, and the $6500 repair cost put the FEH in the same cost category as the Highlander Hybrid.

Good news? My replacement (remanufactured) engine has a better warranty than the original - 100,000 miles. Bad news? The new engine is noisier and fuel economy has dropped to 26-27 MPG in equivalent driving.

As much as I liked my FEH before the engine failed, Ford has not treated this customer well. They had NO INTEREST in learning why the bearing failed nor in having any conversations with me other than "Warranty expired. Too Bad."

Good grief man, how many times are you going to flame FORD over YOUR bad experience? It was out of warranty. Does it suck? Yes it does but the warranty was set at a certain level and you bought it knowing that. Get over yourself. If you really think you have a legitimate case then take FORD to court. The reality is that you don't have a case and you know it. You don't know what Jiffy Lube did to your vehicle that could have contributed to your problem but you just want to keep blaming FORD for not caring about you. Maybe in the future all car manufacturers will just say a vehicle is warranted for life and everything will be covered. Maybe Obama can back that and make it happen or give every vehicle operator a bailout when their vehicle fails outside of warranty.

But in fairness to your complaint and so the original poster can read all about your trials and tribulations I offer your thread you posted on another website: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/200...00-miles-22393/

Edited by Green Lantern

Good grief man, how many times are you going to flame FORD over YOUR bad experience? It was out of warranty. Does it suck? Yes it does but the warranty was set at a certain level and you bought it knowing that. Get over yourself. If you really think you have a legitimate case then take FORD to court. The reality is that you don't have a case and you know it. You don't know what Jiffy Lube did to your vehicle that could have contributed to your problem but you just want to keep blaming FORD for not caring about you. Maybe in the future all car manufacturers will just say a vehicle is warranted for life and everything will be covered. Maybe Obama can back that and make it happen or give every vehicle operator a bailout when their vehicle fails outside of warranty.

But in fairness to your complaint and so the original poster can read all about your trials and tribulations I offer your thread you posted on another website: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/200...00-miles-22393/

Ah! The Jiffy Lube Theory again! You must be from GH?

Ah! The Jiffy Lube Theory again! You must be from GH?

For the record, I am not the one that has claimed Jiffy was at fault but NONE of us REALLY know what the poster REALLY did in maintaining his vehicle. I just don't subscribe to this is FORD's problem and they should bail him out. If you want to be overly sympathetic and assume he is right then go right ahead. I just don't think either party was nefarious in their actions. Stuff happens and sometimes it adversely affects us. I have had vehicles have significant problems outside of warranty and, while I did not like it, I had to belly up to the bar and pay the piper.

He had similar threads here discussing his issues on this 2006 vehicle but I could not find them so I referenced the GH thread. And I don't expect you and I to be on the same side of this discussion wptski. Previous conversations have shown us to have conflicting views. Have a good day.

For the record, I am not the one that has claimed Jiffy was at fault but NONE of us REALLY know what the poster REALLY did in maintaining his vehicle. I just don't subscribe to this is FORD's problem and they should bail him out. If you want to be overly sympathetic and assume he is right then go right ahead. I just don't think either party was nefarious in their actions. Stuff happens and sometimes it adversely affects us. I have had vehicles have significant problems outside of warranty and, while I did not like it, I had to belly up to the bar and pay the piper.

He had similar threads here discussing his issues on this 2006 vehicle but I could not find them so I referenced the GH thread. And I don't expect you and I to be on the same side of this discussion wptski. Previous conversations have shown us to have conflicting views. Have a good day.

REALLY and REALLY shows where you think the fault lies.

Hello: I keep debating getting a Limited I4 w/ FWD v. 4WD v. Hybrid FWD v. 4WD. From what I have read the gas I4 has plenty of power as does the FEH.

I don't know if the cost differential is worth it for the FEH due to the breakeven point being at least 5-6 years. Cost is not so much an issue but why spend the extra $ if it's not worth it. Also debating FWD w/ a good set of snows v. 4WD.

Also on the FEH you get very little optional equipment offered on the base model. i like the navi. screen but I already have a Garmin and for the extra money it would not have real time traffic in Cleveland

Any comments with real world driving and handling, mpg's etc would be appreciated on any one who has any of the above combinations. The easy part was deciding to get the limited. I do about 75% highway and live in Northeast Ohio. The weather sucks here about 5 months out of the year and my profession dictates that I must get to work. Right now I am leasing an 07'

Edge and want something a little smaller with tighter handling. Love the Fusion but I like being up off of the pavement a little.

I own a 2008 Hybrid (FEH), which looks like the new 2010, but has the old engine & mechanical components. I get about 31 in town in the summer, around 30 in the winter. I live in LA, so we don't get the really cold weather. Hybrids get a big MPG hit in very cold weather - so for far northern climates, you might want to consider the normal version, or realize the MPG penalty in very cold weather. You have to be willing to drive the FEH such that you get this kind of mileage; if you like to hot foot it, the normal Escape would be better. But if you are willing to adjust to the technology, the 2010 model gets even better MPG. If you like technology, the FEH is really fun to drive - to learn how to maximize MPG!

Mine is the FEH AWD, with the luxury package, about the same as the highest package except without the Nav, which I didn't want. I love the ride. I have had it it the mountains, and it does well on ice, driven carefully. I like the stiffer suspension of the AWD; in my opinion, the FWD leaned too much into the turns. But if TC and RSC had been present in the 2008, I probably would have taken FWD. The 2010 model adds stability and traction control, not present in the 2008 and prior years. Overall, I really like the FEH. I would suggest that you drive both the AWD and FWD of either type of Escape and decide from there.

Mechanically, I think Ford does a pretty good job over all. I did purchase the 7 yr/100K warranty, because the FEH has SO much technology; it can be purchased any time until 36K miles, although it is $100 cheaper before 12K. I would suggest getting it on line unless the dealer can match myfordwarranty.com. I did not purchase the warranty because I mistrust the basic engine and etc; any manufacturer can have a bad unit, but with good maintenance I think that the FEH and Escapes should last a long time. The FEH has only been produced since 2005, so I think the highest mileage I've seen is around 150K, except for those New York taxis.

Edited by stevedebi

REALLY and REALLY shows where you think the fault lies.

YOU are absolutely correct. Until I see evidence that this is something others are experiencing I will assume this issue was ultimately caused by something the owner of that vehicle caused, either by his own doing or by those he had do things to the vehicle. Since I have yet to see any other evidence that this is something happening to other Escapes I refuse to blindly place blame on the manufacturer.

I own a 2009 FEH Limited with Nav that has a little over 15,000 miles on it. I have the 2wd (FWD) model that has operated great in rain, snow and a big ice storm last year. It had zero issues navigating through our surroundings when the city was shut down during the ice storm and we all basically lost power and trees for a week or more. I average between 35 and 37 mpg around town and around 32 on the highway for extended trips. The only option I did not get is the running boards and that is because at 6'3", I had zero need for those and had heard horror stories of those really just causing more problems with getting your pants legs dirty if you were not careful. My personal opinion is that you cannot go wrong with this vehicle but like I said, that is just MY opinion. There are others obviously that will tell you this is not a good vehicle. Ultimately, it will be your decision and you have to make that one for yourself. The payback based on mileage alone to cover the hybrid cost is a long one compared to a gas powered escape. I knew this going in and bought it for my peace of mind. In addition, I felt that until more Americans started buying more hybrid vehicles (and paying more for that technology in the short term) that this technology would not become more economical and readily available. Good luck whichever way you choose!

YOU are absolutely correct. Until I see evidence that this is something others are experiencing I will assume this issue was ultimately caused by something the owner of that vehicle caused, either by his own doing or by those he had do things to the vehicle. Since I have yet to see any other evidence that this is something happening to other Escapes I refuse to blindly place blame on the manufacturer.

You might be forgetting a few people? The ones that built it! You and others have blamed the owner from the get go. Neutral, you aren't!

You say why only one person, I say why only one bearing?

Edited by wptski

You might be forgetting a few people? The ones that built it! You and others have blamed the owner from the get go. Neutral, you aren't!

You say why only one person, I say why only one bearing?

That is a perfectly fair question to ask. And I would say that if that was my vehicle I would be asking some mechanics to document and help me prove my case to FORD that this might be an issue they need to address. In reading all the posts I do not recall seeing any such work being done to help document and prove that case. Sorry I don't look at it the same way you do but c'est la vie. Even then, it still does not necessarily make it Ford's problem to have to resolve. Do I wish they would step up in cases such as this? Absolutely! But I also know that economically they cannot do this each time something bad happens out of warranty without the consumer paying for this in increased product costs and increased service costs. Where does a business draw the line? Typically they draw the line at a warranty timeline/guideline. I deal with it in the airline industry on a daily basis with engines which are dramatically more complex than automotive engines.

That is a perfectly fair question to ask. And I would say that if that was my vehicle I would be asking some mechanics to document and help me prove my case to FORD that this might be an issue they need to address. In reading all the posts I do not recall seeing any such work being done to help document and prove that case. Sorry I don't look at it the same way you do but c'est la vie. Even then, it still does not necessarily make it Ford's problem to have to resolve. Do I wish they would step up in cases such as this? Absolutely! But I also know that economically they cannot do this each time something bad happens out of warranty without the consumer paying for this in increased product costs and increased service costs. Where does a business draw the line? Typically they draw the line at a warranty timeline/guideline. I deal with it in the airline industry on a daily basis with engines which are dramatically more complex than automotive engines.

I worked at Ford's Gear/Axle plant. Defects were returned and torn down all the time but I'm not sure if that was done on out of warranty vehicles. What else would they do with them anyway unless they have a third party rebuilder!

At assembly, if they found one defect, they'd send the whole lot back or we'd send people to check/sort the stock.

Interesting that you're so anti-Ford but continuing to read a Ford forum and post your complaints.

I am not suppose to tell anyone this information. However, due to you situation, I will pass it one to you.

There is a undisclosed warranty for the FEH that picks up when the published 5 year/60000 mile warranty expires. All that is needed is to provide receipts for all of the required maintenance and servicing by a F/L/M authorized dealership. :shades:

Anyway, how long and how many miles after the published warranty has expired do you believe a company should be responsible for the product? :reading:

Additional 6 months/5K miles?

additional 6 months 1 day/5001 miles?

additional 6 months 2 days/5002 miles?

additional 6 months..... you get my drift.

60,000 mmile extended warranty .... Failure of connecting rod bearing failed @ 65,000 miles

What's not to understand. A number of things could cause it not attributed to the manufacturer. No company would have picked up the tab.

Could you explain what the owner could have done to cause only one bearing failed, the other three are fine because that's what you are suggesting I think?

• 4 weeks later...

My dad always told me, "Life is tough, and then you die."

I am surprised anyone expects warranty to apply after it has expired. I've never even thought such would apply. When I purchased my 2009 FEH Limited, I also bought the extended warranty, just because the 2009 was a new makeover of the FEH pretty much.

Thus far I've averaged 32.5 mpg driving about 50% city, 50% highway. City driving I pretty much keep it in EV mode. On the highway I usually drive 60-65 mph. Summer with A/C in Economy Mode, Winter with defrost and heater used. I've had no problems with any aspect of the vehicle and have it serviced by the dealer on a regular basis.

I expect gasoline to continue to rise in price. I figure China is going to be demanding a lot more of the oil the U.S. currently uses not too long from now. When gasoline hit $4.00 per gallon before the big meltdown, I saw predictions of $10 a gallon in a couple years. Well the big meltdown delayed that prediction, but I figure it will happen.

I drove a 2.3 liter in a 1991 Ford Tempo and it was a loud, noisey slow to accelerate dog, and something always seemed to need servicing. The electric motors in the FEH seem to give the little Escape Hybrid the zip of a six cylinder with the fuel ecomony of a four cylinder. I must say to get best fuel economy required me to adjust my driving habits somewhat, but when I need a little pep to merge with freeway traffic, it is there.

After one full year, I am still very happy I chose the 2009 FEH. The only thing the 2010 that attracts me is the 45 mph in EV mode Vs the 40 mph with the 2009.

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Hook686