Shelby Mustang 20K over sticker

bec5150

"Second. While Ford is, of course, about making money, the reason to build any car, including the GT500, to MEET CUSTOMER NEEDS, WANTS AND DESIRES at a fair price (meeting needs at a reasonable and fair price keeps customers happy and thus makes money) Ripping people off in the name of "maximum profit" is still ripping people off."

You seem to be confusing a car maker with a Social Services agency.

So the people who write the checks and drive off with new GT500s won't be happy? What kind of idiotic assumption is that? By definition, if someone buys a totally discretionary item, like a performance car, they are agreeing that the price is fair to them. Otherwise why would they buy it?

Instead of crying about prices being too high, why not get a better job so none of it will matter.

And what's this BS about "artificial supply?" What would "natural supply" be?

Edited by Sporko

Just received the July issue of Car & Driver. It contains a comparison of the Shelby GT500 and the base Corvette with the 400 horsepower 6.0 liter V-8.

Bad news: the Shelby weighs some 600 pounds more than the Corvette making it slower even with a 100 horsepower advantage. Not only was it slower than the Corvette but the new Shelby GT500 was no faster than the previous generation Mustang Cobra with the 4.6 liter supercharged V-8.

Don't think paying $20,000 over the list price of the new Shelby that is already $15,000 more than the previous Mustang Cobra is a wise investment. Compounding this is the fact that the base Corvette at $44,490 is probably about what the MSRP is going to be on the Shelby GT500.

If Car & Driver's test proves to be accurate, IMHO there will be a lot of pissed off people with bleeding assholes.

As for those bashing dealerships for the markups. If someone willingly pays that price, then who loses. Nobody. Nobody forces anyone to do anything. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, at any given time.

I agree with a lot of what you say up until this point. The idiots paying 20K over sticker are hurting people, people like me who will not pay over the sticker. That is what pissed me off when the GT '05 came out and I actually saw $15k over that sticker price when I was travelling through Pittsburgh. What did that do, make the '05 unavailable for the massese who want it without getting raped. That dealer thing pisses me off a lot, and I do have a memory, and will not go back to those jerks who were realling gouging. The honest dealer who sold the '05 at sticker price, or even X-plan price, are going to get my business. Just my 2 cents, later.

How is charging the going rate for a performance car doing anything to screw customers? A GT500 is hardly a necessity. No one has to buy one. People are freely offering to pay for a frivolous, luxury product in a free market. It's not like dealerships are extorting people and forcing them to pay for anything. And what does loyalty have to do with it? I've owned 6 new Fords in the past 15 years but even the GT500's MSRP is out of my budget. Is Ford screwing me because they didn't price it within my means?

I read a lot on this site about "buying American", patriotism, and loyalty. Does all that really just translate to "dealerships and manufacturers should just do what I want?"

Ford is not pricing the car out of your means, the dealers are by their f'ing greed. Man that pisses me off. I hope they all go bankrupt. Duh :doh: , retards, customers could be loyal if you cut them a good deal instead of raping my ass so hard it bleeds. Jerkoffs

glad I sold my option for 12K before the C&D article came out... makes the decision of keeping my 04 vert even sounder...

Do you REALLY think a GT500 isn't going to be faster than an 03-04 Cobra?

Going strictly on power ratings and weight....

Cobra: 390 HP, 3600 lbs -- 9.2 lbs per horsepower.

GT500: 500 HP, 3900 lbs -- 7.8 lbs per horsepower.

That's a 15% power-to-weight advantage to the GT500. That is NOT insignificant on any level.

Even assuming the Cobra was underrated (let's say it had 425 HP in reality) that's still 8.5 lbs per horsepower. That's also assuming that the GT500 is NOT underrated.

They are both geared similarly. Both have similar aerodynamics. Both have similar tire height.

Ultimately: Anyone who's not able to beat an '03-04 Cobra's times by a considerable margin in a GT500 can't drive. Period.

From Car & Driver:

"What surprised us, however, was the GT500's loss in acceleration runs. Its 100-hp advantage should have left the Vette in a cloud of rubber dust. The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the the driver look like Kenny Bernstein."

Do you REALLY think a GT500 isn't going to be faster than an 03-04 Cobra?

Going strictly on power ratings and weight....

Cobra: 390 HP, 3600 lbs -- 9.2 lbs per horsepower.

GT500: 500 HP, 3900 lbs -- 7.8 lbs per horsepower.

That's a 15% power-to-weight advantage to the GT500. That is NOT insignificant on any level.

Even assuming the Cobra was underrated (let's say it had 425 HP in reality) that's still 8.5 lbs per horsepower. That's also assuming that the GT500 is NOT underrated.

They are both geared similarly. Both have similar aerodynamics. Both have similar tire height.

Ultimately: Anyone who's not able to beat an '03-04 Cobra's times by a considerable margin in a GT500 can't drive. Period.

Most 03/04 Cobra's are modified way above 390hp and at $20k over MSRP most GT500's will be garage queens. I wouldnt be surprised if Ford made the GT500's engine to be unable to withstand serious mods.

Edited by OKC03Cobra

I recall plenty of over sticker Added Dealer Profit on the Miata when it was introduced on the Acura sports car and MDX suv and on the Prius. Japanese marque dealers are not imune to the profit motive. They are independent businesses. In fact, the MFG Suggested Retail Price is not enforceable by the manufacturer. A hot seller will always generate higher markups. That is the law of supply and demand. I guess if Ford wanted to keep the retail price down they could make 15, 000 GT 500s. Of course that would dilute the brand and upset the dealers.

"dilute the brand and upset the dealers"? You are probably right- and there lies Fords biggest problem- the dealer is NOT the customer. if it werent for buyers we wouldnt need dealers OR ford. Ford needs to watch out for customers, and a big part of that would simply be paying warranty work equal to customer pay rates, that would prevent techs from rushing the cheap work, and would stop a lot of the dealers lack of concern for warranty claims- many will balk, try to say 'theyre all that way', 'its normal', etc...just because they know it dont make them any money.

Guest Sixcav

Isn't car and driver notorious for doing things like testing the car with slicks on it and draining out most of the tranny fluid to reduce drag in the driveline? Thus the times they post are actually a little quicker than what the real street version is going to do. I thought I heard that somewhere about car and driver but I could be wrong. If it's true and they did that with the test version of this GT500? . . . . . Woe Nelly.

Isn't car and driver notorious for doing things like testing the car with slicks on it and draining out most of the tranny fluid to reduce drag in the driveline? Thus the times they post are actually a little quicker than what the real street version is going to do. I thought I heard that somewhere about car and driver but I could be wrong. If it's true and they did that with the test version of this GT500? . . . . . Woe Nelly.

I don't trust anything other than that I see myself. Car & Driver said the WRX STI was quicker than the 2003 Cobra. :finger::hysterical:

There is a big difference between asking and getting. Any one who would pay over list for this

car has more money tha brains. Ask the people who paid $3-5000. over list for the first

02 tbirds. Dealers were also charging over list for the 03 Mach I only to have $3,000 rebates by the end of the year. There is no guarantee that Ford will not produce more than thay are saying :kuko:

:bandance: What a bunch of idiots to pay like $20,000 over sticker. That means you are leaving the lot like $25,000 in the hole with negative equity. Hope you like the car, you will have to keep it for like 30 years to actually make some money back on it if you ever sell it. Reminds me of an old Nirvana song "RAPE ME, GO AHEAD AND RAPE ME!" Kurt Kobain must have been a fan of Shelby's! Later suckers

• 2 weeks later...