cost per car of Cash for clunkers

Oh wait it's Halloween!

Yes it is, but SVT's comments are valid year-round.

If you do torrents, or live near a decent video outlet, get a copy of the HBO 4-part series "John Adams". Beautifully made, it follows Adams and the birth of the US. Really worth watching, IMHO.

Your question makes as much sense as asking "Why is the speed limit in miles per hour? I'm only driving 10 minutes!"

Obviously it's an estimate, one that I calculated. I didn't check for the latest gas price figures, but if I re-calculate it using:

Average MPG of traded-in vehicle: 15.8MPG (CARS stats)

Average MPG of purchased vehicles: 24.9MPG (CARS stats)

15k miles per year (Common Knowledge)

677,000 vehicles (CARS stats)

Gas: $2.69/gallon (Current national average according to Gas Buddy)

You'll get a total combined fuel cost savings of $631854621/year.

post-16822-1256964386_thumb.png

Your figures "assume" the C4C trade in veicles were driven the same mileage as the new taxpayer supported vehicles. That assumption is an estimate and this link: http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/23/unint...wont-save-fuel/ indicates "research done by CNW indicates that C4C participants intend to drive almost twice as many annual miles, which will more than make up for any efficiency-based fuel savings".

Your figures "assume" the C4C trade in veicles were driven the same mileage as the new taxpayer supported vehicles. That assumption is an estimate and this link: http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/23/unint...wont-save-fuel/ indicates "research done by CNW indicates that C4C participants intend to drive almost twice as many annual miles, which will more than make up for any efficiency-based fuel savings".

You mean those C4C buyers are now going to quit their jobs, find jobs twice as far away so that they break even in already high fuel costs/month. Since shopping malls are deserted, and restaurants and movie theaters are going bankrupt, people aren't driving there either. I would suspect most buying more fuel efficient vehicles will drive about the same so that they can save a few more dollars every month and maybe pay down some debt that is eating theselves alive. I know I drive a lot less than I used to and use bicycle for short trips other than grocery store. And if and when I go to 35+mpg vehicle, I will keep mileage about same to garner some savings. If the economy improves, maybe people will take more vacations, but being big time consumers again is a long way off. And it looks to me like more and more people are trying to live closer to their jobs.